calling glass terranium owners

I don't have any glass viv pics of my own to post but I got to say Fred is looking very well and quite happy in his house, nice job :D

I suppose I can pitch my setup! My veiled is 4.5 months and doing quite well in this Exo Terra 24x18x36. He'll eventually move into a 2x2x4 Penn Plax screen enclosure with the plexiglass door and a male Jacksons will move into my Exo Terra.

IMG_1670_zps4208dd94.jpg

has anyone tried a large water dish with gravel at the bottom of the screen enclosure? it might keep up the humidity in the general area of the chameleon.

gravel so no feeders drown

also if u center the dish in the enclosure anyone with a dripper could try to coordinate vines and what not so the excess water collects in the dish.

So far I've had luck with both screen and glass. I use screen for my verrucosus and glass for my montane haven't had a problem. You just need to let the glass cages dry out so they don't get a RI.

Picasso gets to free range all over the house if he wants, but this is his glass house and the door is always open so he can come and go as he likes, he never stays in his enclosure and we don't make him either....but I have found no reason why this glass house wouldn't work, it does stay better humidified than all screen enclosures.

picasso's cage 002.jpg

Yea you can keep any cham in a glass viv just make sure everything is right in it regards temp humidity cleanliness etc.and that it is appropriately sized.if your going for glass make sure to get one that has a screen top and vents lower down so the air can circulate well

I had my three panthers in glass exo terra until they went to their adult cages. I didn't have any issue until my third one. He drinks a lot, so there was always too much water at the bottom. I also used screen in half of the front door to get better ventilation.
Sorry don't have better pics.
IMG_1332.jpg

Despite appearances I'd class mine as a glass viv, its fully lined with glass and just the outside is wood.

P1010358.jpg

It ticks all the boxes, good airflow, good humidity, well insulated, no damp problems around it, easy maintenance, happy cham :)

Dave

congratulations glass terrarium owners! I'm seeing some really beautiful examples on this thread ;)
however, I still wouldn't feel 100% comfortable keeping an adult male veiled in a glass viv!:p
the good thing about screen vivs is that you can DIY and build larger cages with minimal expense (and skills) and if your cham's room is well heated and insulated you can use a screen viv even if you live in finland :D
generally speaking, I think that glass terrariums are better for young chameleons (0 to 6 months) and smaller species that require more humidity while screen terrariums are better for adults of larger species.IMO the more space they have the better they feel!! :)

Container under a water dripper

For a hatchling or even an adult. How big should the container under dripping water be? I am assuming the container should only be big enough that the chameleon can hang onto the edge and still get to the water with their snout?

Cool thread, glass is a great option for northern collectors. How can you keep a mesh enclosure around 60% w/o funking up your home or reptile room, when ambient humidity can drop to 20% on very cold days due to heating.

This is my work in progress viv, great stuff background.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 599
Back
Top Bottom