Chameleon in shade

erik775

Established Member
Does my chameleon still get u v rays even in the shade or should I put them in full sun...I'm guessing it's not the same putting them just in the shade...

I'm new to the chameleon world, but as for as my research has done me..I think your chameleon needs the direct light to hit him for him to absorb. UV rays does not pass through objects of any sort.

If you were to take your cham outside, I would recommend a cage or something with half in the shade and half in the sun. So if he/she is can get out of the sun once he/she gets too hot. I would also recommend supervision while he's out there.

Is your chameleon being kept outdoor or indoor? If indoor, another fact is if your UVB bulb is over a mesh of some kind then that would block anywhere from 20-50% of the UV depending on the thickness and type of mesh/screen you have.

I hope that helps! :D

Does my chameleon still get u v rays even in the shade or should I put them in full sun...I'm guessing it's not the same putting them just in the shade...

Yes. The uv is bouncing off of everything. He is still getting beneficial rays in the shade. Direct light is better, but you must monitor the temps and how he is reacting. Too hot can have dire consequences...

So i take it the shade gives off more uv rays than the uv light on top of his cage???

So i take it the shade gives off more uv rays than the uv light on top of his cage???

To my knowledge and understanding, yes. You're getting natural uv rays bouncing everywhere and no bulb that we use can replicate this, especially thru screened enclosures. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Yes. I have tested it with a uv meter.. they get more UV in the shade on a sunny day than they do sitting under a uv lamp in the house.

direct sunlight gives a much higher reading of course.. but you must always provide a shady place for you cham to go so he does not overheat

Yes. I have tested it with a uv meter.. they get more UV in the shade on a sunny day than they do sitting under a uv lamp in the house.

direct sunlight gives a much higher reading of course.. but you must always provide a shady place for you cham to go so he does not overheat

great...cause i just built my boy an out door cage that i will be putting him in through out the day but i didnt want to put him in the straight sun cause its kinda hot here in california i dont want my boy to cook or over heat and i will be bringing him in at night...hes gonna love it.im going to be putting him in the shade then:D:D:D...cant wait till i get plants in it...:)

Back
Top Bottom