Chameleon laying flat on the bottom of the enclosure

Well, is hard to make out if there's any physical issues, like a broken bone or signs of mbd, it's unusual for a chameleon to choose to stay at the bottom, help him up to the branches or maybe he'll get spooked and crawl up on his own, I wouldn't leave him there

hey guys. when i woke up this morning around 6:30am he was still on the ground. I turned the lights on(basking and UV). I saw him try to walk alittle and he kinda fell over a little bit. I was nervous and had to leave for work so my dad just sent me a picture of him way at the top of the enclosure like 20 mins ago. His coloring was still viberant when he was at the bottom of the cage and the coloring still looks good. My dad is dusting crickets with calcuim w/D3 now and is going to give that to him. I'm praying everything will be okay. Thanks for all the help lastnight. I really really appreciate it

Attachments

• chamm.jpg
    chamm.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 212
Glad you have good signs today. So the accepted dusting schedule is calcium without D3 with every feeding, Vitamins dusting every two weeks, and calcium with D3 every 2 weeks.

Glad you have good signs today. So the accepted dusting schedule is calcium without D3 with every feeding, Vitamins dusting every two weeks, and calcium with D3 every 2 weeks.
He is only 4 months old and I just got him at 10am yesterday so I don't have a set schedule with feeding and stuff yet. but thank you because I will def follow that regimen :)

Ive noticed its hard to find Calcium without D3 in pet stores especially the chain stores such as petco and petsmart. The only way i was able to find it locally was we have a local non chain petsotre that knows what they are doing and they had it. Thank God. If not order some online. The schedule I follow and most here that do is calcium without d3 every day, then on sunday give calcium with d3. Then the next sunday do vitamins. that way every month they get vitamins and calcium with d3 twice a month. Ive done this with great success. What i didnt know at the time was how many crickets do i dust without d3 a day and what i started doing was one time i dusted 8 crickets at once and fed it to her and she thrrew them all up! So i do half, if i feed her 10 i give 5 dusted and 5 normal. So far shes been great.

Ive noticed its hard to find Calcium without D3 in pet stores especially the chain stores such as petco and petsmart. The only way i was able to find it locally was we have a local non chain petsotre that knows what they are doing and they had it. Thank God. If not order some online. The schedule I follow and most here that do is calcium without d3 every day, then on sunday give calcium with d3. Then the next sunday do vitamins. that way every month they get vitamins and calcium with d3 twice a month. Ive done this with great success. What i didnt know at the time was how many crickets do i dust without d3 a day and what i started doing was one time i dusted 8 crickets at once and fed it to her and she thrrew them all up! So i do half, if i feed her 10 i give 5 dusted and 5 normal. So far shes been great.
Yeah I actually just bought calcium(without D3 this morning. I coated 5 and he ate 2 or 3 I believe. I know it's only day 2 but he is always hiding. Thanks for the info though! That really helps

Look into the repashy lo d. Use it sparingly each feeding, very easy to remember and if the Kammers recommend it then it's good enough for me. A little goes a long way with supplements, if you can get him outside time natural sunlight is the best for them and will further reduce supplementation needs.

Look into the repashy lo d. Use it sparingly each feeding, very easy to remember and if the Kammers recommend it then it's good enough for me. A little goes a long way with supplements, if you can get him outside time natural sunlight is the best for them and will further reduce supplementation needs.

For the panthers actually it's the repashy calcium plus, my mistake! Mind was with the quads.

hey guys. when i woke up this morning around 6:30am he was still on the ground. I turned the lights on(basking and UV). I saw him try to walk alittle and he kinda fell over a little bit. I was nervous and had to leave for work so my dad just sent me a picture of him way at the top of the enclosure like 20 mins ago. His coloring was still viberant when he was at the bottom of the cage and the coloring still looks good. My dad is dusting crickets with calcuim w/D3 now and is going to give that to him. I'm praying everything will be okay. Thanks for all the help lastnight. I really really appreciate it

Did you not help him up onto branches last night or did you put him up and then he ended up at the bottom again?

If they are frightened, they might appear to fall when walking. I think it is a combination of two survival strategies--fleeing and bailing off a limb. When they are already on the cage floor, they can't exactly jump off a limb to the ground. Or fleeing combined with puffing up and turning sideways to appear big and fearsome to a predator.

Make sure your temps are not too hot.

Did you mist him a lot this morning and yesterday. You don't know if he was dehydrated when he was put in the box and shipped, so he needs extra care to be hydrated.

Hi
After seeing the pics, I would highly recommend to put branches in all directions so he can self regulate.
The sticks you put may be slippery when wet and apart of the plants there are not many places for him to climb.
You could put his lights on a timer so you do not have to worry and he gets into a routine.
Good luck with your cham. Just be patient and let him settle.

I got a zoo med timer and i havnt looked back since its sooo nice. They get in a routine and my girl knows when its almost bed time, she will go to her corner and as soon as the lights go off she curls her tail and puts on her pajama colors.

I got a timer too. I have my lights and mister on it. When the lights come on the mister starts the cycle again. Set it and forget it. So nice.

Did you not help him up onto branches last night or did you put him up and then he ended up at the bottom again?

If they are frightened, they might appear to fall when walking. I think it is a combination of two survival strategies--fleeing and bailing off a limb. When they are already on the cage floor, they can't exactly jump off a limb to the ground. Or fleeing combined with puffing up and turning sideways to appear big and fearsome to a predator.

Did you mist him a lot this morning and yesterday. You don't know if he was dehydrated when he was put in the box and shipped, so he needs extra care to be hydrated.
I didn't help him back up. When I got up at 6:30am the next morning and turned the lights on he climbed right up to the light. He might have been to hot because I had the temp at 90 degrees that day. I read that's way to hot for a 4 month old. So now I have the temp at 82. Today he seemed good. He was exploring all over. He climbed upside down on the screen and then explored the bottom of the cage again. He seems fine. He is eating his crickets dusted with calcium. I'll keep you guys updated! Just a nervous parent right now. I've had him since Wednesday

And about the misting part. I have a mist king. It mists every 3 hours for 5 mins and I also have a dripper

Back
Top Bottom