Converting a Shower into Enclosure

djfunkshowkid

Hello everyone, Im a new guy with a 4 mo. old female, which I will be posting pictures very soon. I just wanted some opinions on a project which I plan on undergoing. We moved into a house in mid-construction and there was a large, brand new shower just laying around. After talking to my wife (cuz we all know they make major decisions) we agree'd that I could convert that shower into a new enclosure. The dimentions are 3.5x2.5x6 and is made up of fiberglass. The drain system is already under the shower, so I obviously wont have any drain issues....cuz...it's a shower. The front screen will be 3.5x4 (due to 2ft at the bottom being Plexiglass). I will also be posting pictures of this shower to give you all a better idea of my plans.

I mainly posted this to get some idea's of how to set it up (as I said I am new). I know she is young now, but when it is finished...she should be large enough to move into the new enclosure.

Thanks for reading, and PLEASE post some idea's.

Is it installed? Or just freestanding? Some people have converted actual showers and bathrooms into enclosures. Biggest issue would be ventilation and I suppose lighting.

Hope you take step by step photos and post them.

After talking to my wife (cuz we all know they make major decisions) we agree'd that I could convert that shower into a new enclosure. ...I mainly posted this to get some idea's of how to set it up (as I said I am new). I know she is young now, but when it is finished...she should be large enough to move into the new enclosure.

It's not installed...it was set up to be though, with drain and water pipes coming up through the floor. Im not sure if I will bolt it to the walls or not. The top of the shower will have screen which is about 3.5x2.5, then the front will be screened at 3.5x4. The summer will be nice as the window is about 1 foot away from the front so she can get some nice fresh summer air. I will post step by step photos!

Welcome to the forum DJ!

Sounds like a fun project. What kind of chameleon is your little girl?

If she's Veiled (even if not the info is great) you will benefit from checking out Brad Ramsey's website http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/

Please, lots of pics of your baby and the "work in progress".

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks for all of the reply's so quickly! It's great to have somewhere to go for support and help! Here is "Karma" the chameleon (yes from the boy george song). I was told she was about 3-4mo old.

(I think I attached the files...)

View attachment 9855

View attachment 9856

View attachment 9857

View attachment 9858

View attachment 9859

This is a weird thing she does sometimes with her legs...but I was told this was nothing to worry about by someone here from the forums. Apparently it is just a relaxing thing??

Last edited:
I wouldnt use that big of a cage for a 4 month old cham. A 18x18x36 or 16x16x30 would be about the size you need and you can pick them up around 40-50 bucks depending on where you go. I keep my adult chams in a 24x24x48

As for the shower I would use something that size on a year old cham or so and the whole thing is bright gloss white and MV light might make it to bright for the cham. but it all depends on how you set it up. Try putting a large light like a 160w MV light or any bright light in there and stare at the shower for a min if you are seeing spots after 5 mins think of how your chams eyes would feel after 10-12 of being in it might not be the best idea. Air circulation would be your biggest problem with only two open sides

She is currently in a 18x18x24 right now...Im not going to be rushing to get this setup immediatly or anything. It'll probably be done a month or two complete with auto misting, air circulation fans, etc.

The walls will be coated and will not remain gloss white. It will look very natural...I just have to do more research on what types of expanding foams is NOT toxic.

She will not be moved to this enclosure until I (and most of you) are 100% satisfied with it and she is no smaller than 8in. I have a picture in my head of the finished product, but we'll see how it goes.

As of circulation issues, there will be 2 or three small fans on the outside of the enclosure that will blow air into the cage. Karma will not be able to crawl up the fan ducts due to those holes being closed off. But air will be moving around in there quite often.

There is no way that veiled is 4 months. I'd say around 2 at most. At 4 months my female was far bigger than that one.

But the shower idea is excellent, I've seen 1 or 2 larger ones done for iguanas. Love to see this once it's completed.

Sweet little Veiled! (go ahead and use the link I gave you);)

Looks like you have thought things out yet are flexible enough to accept experiential advice. (the ULTIMATE combination)

Coated walls will be cool! As for the fans ... if you make a couple of reasonable sized screened vents on the sides you may not need to go to the trouble (and expense ... there'll be lots for you to spend money on in the future):rolleyes: The height, combined with well placed lighting (which induces thermal airflow) and a misting/cool mist humidifier, will avoid potential chill from an actual breeze via a fan. That said, you sound intelligent enough to pull it off safely.

Don't hesitate to use the forum as a sounding board. (the experts will be certain to chime in if you attempt something dubious)

Why not answer these questions to give you and Karma a leg up from the git-go?!

Cheers!:D

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage construction (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and type of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Location - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

Last edited:
Current Info....

Cage Info:
Cage Type -
Glass 18x18x30 with screened top (37 gal)

Lighting - Slimline (http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753220)
Turned on at 9am till 9pm - 150w Plant light (from walmart)

Temperature - 75-85 Ambient Temp - 90-95 Basking Area (she doesnt use it)

Night Temp - 60-70 Night time temp using a standard reptile temp guage

Humidity - Not sure (dont have a Humidity guage.

Plants - Cabella with fake Ivy vines along with interesting branches found in yard and boiled.

Location - Cage located in dining room, beside computer (not much traffic). Sits on a standard table.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon -
Vieled Chameleon, Female, Undecided age. I have had her for 1 week now.

Handling - Held once per day, she calmly reaches for my finger and walks on my hand.

Feeding - I let approx 8-10 1/4in crickets roam about her cage. They are put in there at 9am when I turn the lights on.

Supplements - None yet, will pick up a few this week.

Watering - I mist with a spray bottle 3-4 times per day to have large beads of water on most of the leaves.

Fecal Description - Dark feces, slightly off-white urate. Has never been tested for parasites.

History - Bought at Jacks Aquarium and Pets for $99 (overpriced) The convinced be to buy spanish moss for substrate (although once I learned more I threw it away).

Current Problem - No current PROBLEMS, but a few concerns are: Sometimes she will bloat her eye really big and rub them on the plant (happened only a couple of times). She also likes to hang a back leg off of her perch sometimes when relaxing (leg will vary). I haven't read enough to decide if this is normal activity or not. Legs are not bowed that I noticed. Color is more of a light kelly green with light brown/tan stripes, and brown/tan stripes along her brow, spines, and casqued (might be spelled wrong).

Hey DJ ...

You might consider getting a Repti Sun (Repti Glo if you can't find the Sun) bulb. Checked the stats of the slim-line light and it won't cut it in the big cage. (all the cool kids use Repti Sun) :rolleyes:

Go to Zellers and you can find digital hum/therm for about 10 bucks.

Real plants will be a must, to keep humidity optimal and provide surfaces for drinking.

As she gets older she might get cranky. Don't be surprised if you don't want to attempt it unless necessary later.:eek:

Calcium no D3 everyday except ... once or twice a month calcium WITH D3 ... and once or twice a month a good multi vitamin like Rep Cal Herptivite with Beta Carotene. All are LIGHTLY dusted on your feeder.

Others will add I'm sure.;)

Yeah, I already thought about the Repti-glow....now have to decide to get 1 or 2, what size, and either 5.0 or 10.0.

The Cabella is a real plant, just have some fake vines in there is all. I will be certain to buy a humidty guage soon, along with those suppliments you suggested.

Thanks for all the help so far guys/gals!

Cute little girl....

Your girl is a cutie and she is not nearly 4 months old. It's going to be many months before she can move into the shower. She does need the supplementation as mentioned ASAP. Her biggest risk is MBD. It can be going on in her bones with no noticeable signs and then boom....one day you see her legs bow or curve as the bone density goes over a cliff. By the time a keeper actually sees the signs is quite some time after it starts going on in the cham.

The shower idea is pretty cool. I've kept various tree monitors and hydrosaurus sailfin lizards. I know people who have used showers for them and it's worked out really well. They are very accessible for cleaning, etc. It would be pretty exciting to live in one as far as a captive cham is concerned.

Good luck with your little girl. She is very precious :)

Doesn't sound to me like you she has any problems, my female would occasionally rub her eyes on a branch or leaf. Usually its some old shed skin or maybe dust. She did the leg thing too.

Thats awesome to hear...both of you...thanks for the information. I've wanted a Vieled Chameleon since I was about 14. Back then I had 2 Iguana's....and didnt have time for a chameleon. I will not wait next week to buy the suppliments, as I will go out tmmw and get them and start using them right away. How much should her first dose be, or will it say on the directions?

Thanks for the support on the shower conversion. It will take a bit of time to get it just right. I'll prolly treat it like a salt water tank....once its done....test run it for a few weeks to make sure temps/humidity stays consistant.

I will keep pictures posted every few weeks so we all can track her growth, and you experienced keepers can point out if you see anything early. Then, we can all decide if and when she will be ready for the move.

Once again, thanks for all the replies...keep 'em coming!!

Hey Welcome and what a sweet little girl you bring along.I thought I was cool because my chams have their own bathroom & shower, but it is just for showers, all of my chams could not live there. i love the idea and can't wait to see it. You didn't include your location, where are you at?

Back
Top Bottom