DIY Misting Systems

FluffyDuff

Ok, I'm a noob and I really don't have the money to run out and buy a misting system. The one's I can afford are apparently POS and thought I would like to try a DIY project. I'm looking for a misting system for 1 screen enclosure but I would like to be able to store the resevoir on the ground, not on top of the enclosure. So if anyone has any relativly simple DIY plans, I would be so grateful. Thanks!!

Save the money, save the time. Buy a mistking. Most diy misters fail soon and you'll be frustrated and end up buying a mistking so just bite the bullet and get one. :)

i too suggest saving your money for a mistking, and maybe in the meantime build a dripper to run when you cant be around to mist

Why do diy misters fail? All the mistking is a pump pumps dont just go bad i buy at the store. If you want one om me. mine is more of a rain system and doesn't produce a really fine mist but why would i want it to?

you can make your own Rain system fairly easily with just about any old pump. I made my own .. the downside is it blows through a lot more water than a mister so you have to have good drainage set up.
The reason DIY misters never work is you need a pump that is capable of high pressure, most pumps you find are built for GPH.

Essentially all you need is a 300gph pump for 30 bucks and a adjustable valve which you can control the amount of water.

I did some diy pricing for the same thing as a mistking and its cheaper to go mistking or aquazamp. If you can't afford it now just save and use a container with a hole and a hand sprayer till you have enough.

plus a reservoir, plus tubeing, plus nossels, plus fitings, plus timer. cha ching, cha ching

pump--$30
10ft of tubing--$2
nozzle---$2
timer---$12
clamp--$3.50
bucket w cover-$2
1/4in tubing ---1.00
Yes that is so expensive i totally understand that it equals $120...

52.50! At homedepot

check out aquazamp as well

i think if you really want to go diy thats fine but youre probably going to get more of a rain/spray than mist. my cham prefers the raindome to misting anyways so if you make one it might not be bad anyways...

just know its still not cheap and you might not be happy with the result, its totally up to you.

I.currently do have a dripper going. But when I go to work I just worry about keeping the humidity up. Will one of the rain systems or a fogger do that?

pump--$30
10ft of tubing--$2
nozzle---$2
timer---$12
clamp--$3.50
bucket w cover-$2
1/4in tubing ---1.00
Yes that is so expensive i totally understand that it equals $120...

52.50! At homedepot
A DIY system may not be a bad back up plan in any case- let us know how your results are doing and we may all follow your idea - it's how good things happen and we all learn along the way.

I am old school, I have drippers, plus I mist, and I'm thinking that the Aquazamp system is going to be money well spent, and no disrespect to Mistking, they are tried and true. Every environment is going to be different and every species too- so all of our needs will vary depending on what your local climate and the micro-climate you are trying to create for your cham(s)

I.currently do have a dripper going. But when I go to work I just worry about keeping the humidity up. Will one of the rain systems or a fogger do that?
If you are looking to raise the general humidity in a room - or even a single cage why not go with a good old ultrasonic humidifier - you can localize it with PVC tubing, set up any kind of timer, they are easy to clean & can run for many hours while you are at work - just a thought & tried and true answer for me in different cham enclosures.

Wow, now I have so many ideas and combinations of things I can do, I don't what to do! Really looking forward to a DIY. I'm also thinking of doing some.sort of drainage.

agreed by the time you get the same quality pump and timer that u get iwth the mistking you are already at close to 90 its def, worth it ....
but i love diy stuff so see what you can do and keep us posted

Why do diy misters fail? All the mistking is a pump pumps dont just go bad i buy at the store. If you want one om me. mine is more of a rain system and doesn't produce a really fine mist but why would i want it to?

Im wondering if it makes a difference in how long they last by using distilled water to prevent calcium and other metal build ups that might cause clogging or other issues down the road?

Back
Top Bottom