dubia -new to me-

see the funny thing is i have no issue with crickets i can carry a fist full of em kicking and squirming all the way upstairs to the cages but these dubia i dunno.
by the way Tiff i think we all wanna see that video.

and ya clark if my gf looks in the bin i have a feeling ill be hearing about it

Before I got my first cham, Lily, I couldn't even pick up a tub of crickets or locusts! Lily helped me get over my fear and I now pick up locusts and small roaches with my fingers. Crickets are plain nasty and I won't hold them! It's amazing what you can do when you want something badly enough - I so wanted a chameleon and knew I had to deal with the food in order to have one. I wanted Lily more than I feared her food. I still put crix in the fridge first before I take the lid off as the family would never forgive me if any got loose! :D Still not sure how I'll react when my friend brings me some adults though! Ugh!

lol, funny! I don't mind the crickets much at all really (aisde from the smell). I just grab them by their antennas. ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLWyJeyCCMM

(BTW: 100th post!)

ALSO :-X https://www.chameleonforums.com/flying-dubia-7338/

anyone else have dubias leaving some wet spot in your hand when carrying them? Thats what I like least... that and the males, they are SO frenzied. I hate it when it comes time to cull the males out to the freezer! I tried feeding them to my beardies and they got diarrhea. Too much fiber I guess. lol

cull the males, why is this?? why dont some feed off the males, how do you tell sex in the lil ones, i know about wings in the adults but nothing else

cull the males, why is this?? why dont some feed off the males, how do you tell sex in the lil ones, i know about wings in the adults but nothing else

I don't bother sexing the nymphs when I feed them I just grab something the right size and go with it:D You can sex the nymphs by looking at the last scale on the belly. Honestly, I would have to look it up again to remember which was which but it follows the last scale on the adults ie bigger or smaller. I don't have anything right now that would eat anything as big as an adult male...but when I do I will feed them off too. My colony has grown to the size that I don't think it really matters what I feed off:cool:
comparison2phot.jpg

I also have a slow growing colony of horseshoe crab roaches which are really cool and can be good feeders but are really wide so they would be good for pretty large chams. Big females get 2.5" long and almost 2" wide:eek: But the males do a really cool mating dance where they bounce up and down and do circles.
sdc14010.jpg

PS. these are just images pulled from a google picture search and are not mine!

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoj
I only cull of the adult winged ones. I find if they get to populated in the colony they fight each other (I dont have documented proof of this) also when the population of males is too high I find they try to escape. That and my reptiles dont seem to like the males as much and they are not a meaty. I also dont think all the wing is good for them. Like I said, too many in one sitting and my Bearded Dragons get diarrhea and when they dont the defecation appears to be all wing.

Reactions: Hoj
hey Hoj, I recently tried feed my vieled some hissing roaches, about 1 inch in length and I allowed them to free range and they just disappear like a magician. Once I managed to find one I speared it with a long tooth pick and let it wiggle in front of my chams face and he didnt shoot it but rather just reached out and bit down on the entire roach and I slid out the pick from his mouth as he was chewing. not the best method I know but after that I just managed to catch one in my hand and tied a string to it and let hang by one of its legs and all that wiggle caught his attention and he shoot them and eats it right up, minus one leg ofcourse which is still tied to the top of the cage.

thx guys i grabbed a couple today to just get past my fear, and im still not sold LoL they are strong.. but its a start..

I've got 500 of these @#*!er's coming in tomarrow, I'm not looking forward to handling them, ok, I'm not looking forward to seeing them either!

Back
Top Bottom