Eating cricket strategies?

s8santos

So i was observing my female veiled getting ready to eat crickets that i let loose in her cage...

She is about 2months...is it normal for them to chase them? she literally gets like a centimeter away from the cricket before she actually launches to eat.

You would think she would use the tongue for distance?

A centimeter? That seems a little close. Has she eaten anything spiky or anything that has a stinger lately? Has she always done this, or has it started recently?

so far i have only fed her only crickets, and i maybe exaggerated a bit on the distance, but i wouldnt say more than an inch away! i also fed her meal worms, and wax worms but thats about it.

she has always done this, but now that i think of it, its odd, and she hesistates when going for a cricket, (by then the crickets have time to run away).

sometimes mine will get like inch to inch and a half away and then use her tounge but sometimes she will be all huntress style and get one from like 6-7 inches when it is on the opposite site of the plant once she was even eating butter worms and she tounged it and it held on to the branch so she held onto it with her tounge and ran down the branch to it just go grab it with her mouth pretty funny

Hmmm, I don't think its normal. Can you fill this out, please?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Female Veiled chameleon, have had her for about 1 full month
Handling -every other day/when i feed her crickets
Feeding - crickets, and meal worms are being fed, i drop 6-8 small crickets in the morning before leaving the house (loose in cage)
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - misting the cage, and she drinks off the leaves
Fecal Description - white droppings. has not been tested
History - Bought from petsmart, not sure much about its history.
Cage Info:
Cage Type - glass (for now) 10 gallon tank ): building another home, probably put her in this weekend.
Lighting - repti glow 5.0 uvb / neodymium basking bulb 100w
Temperature -95/ Lowest overnight temp73Degrees F? temp gauge
Humidity - normally around 75, just got mist king for misting, and using hydrometer
Plants - hybiscus
Placement - in my room, by my door, a little traffic from in and out here and there. 3 feet from the room floor?
Location - miami

Current Problem - worried about how she is feeding, does not really use her tongue from a distance, she gets really close when hunting crickets and barely uses her tongue.

just a heads up cause i saw you said you feed her wax worms if im correct i wouldn't feed those to her yet as i was told at least not until shes about 5 months old cause they are very spongey and she can choke on them =) just thought i share this advice

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Female Veiled chameleon, have had her for about 1 full month
Handling -every other day/when i feed her crickets
Feeding - crickets, and meal worms are being fed, i drop 6-8 small crickets in the morning before leaving the house (loose in cage) Mealworms are not the best option. There are other feeders that are healthier. For example, phoenix worms (calciworms), dubia roaches, silkworms, and locusts. You need to feed more than 6-8 though. A chameleon at that age should be eating anywhere from 15-20 per day.
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? You should be using calcium WITHOUT D3 every day, calcium WITH D3 twice a month, or a multivitamin twice a month. However, there is a product called Repashy Calcium Plus which is an all in one and is meant to be used every day.
Watering - misting the cage, and she drinks off the leaves You should mist minimum around 3 times per day, for about 3 minutes each mist.
Fecal Description - white droppings. has not been tested
History - Bought from petsmart, not sure much about its history.
Cage Info:
Cage Type - glass (for now) 10 gallon tank ): building another home, probably put her in this weekend.
Lighting - repti glow 5.0 uvb / neodymium basking bulb 100w
Temperature -95/ Lowest overnight temp73Degrees F? temp gauge
Humidity - normally around 75, just got mist king for misting, and using hydrometer
Plants - hybiscus
Placement - in my room, by my door, a little traffic from in and out here and there. 3 feet from the room floor?
Location - miami

Current Problem - worried about how she is feeding, does not really use her tongue from a distance, she gets really close when hunting crickets and barely uses her tongue.

My answers are in red for correcting the husbandry. I noticed you're in Miami. Which Petsmart did you get her at? The one on 136 and US1?

the on kendall and 137th.

and thanks for the input, still trying to get into the groove of maintaining a cham, since this is my first. thanks to you and alot of other members, making this transition easier. i greatly appreciate it.

but you might my concern on the way she eats may just be something (personality wise) that she just does?

just a heads up cause i saw you said you feed her wax worms if im correct i wouldn't feed those to her yet as i was told at least not until shes about 5 months old cause they are very spongey and she can choke on them =) just thought i share this advice

oh alright, awesome, i did not know this thanks for the heads up!

If she can't shoot her tongue out it could be a calcium issue....especially if you aren't giving her any.

she is using her tongue, its just not far as i would expect a chameleon to use it...ill record another time i feed her :/

Back
Top Bottom