Eating help please

jmunger

my 3-4 month old veil cham doesn't seem to be eating much had him for exactly a week. He drinks like a champ but barely eats anything.

I offer him crixs and butter worms got dubias on the way and I notice he is eating his plants. any advice would help

Could be adjusting to the move. Count your crickets and see if any go missing. Mines a shy eater so he may not eat much around you.

yesterday he ate maybe four. today none maybe one I pretty sure they don't get out cause I count in morning and they pretty much stay by the light the whole time. But he def eating the umbrella plant and drinking every time I spray

Could be parasite problem - suggest you have its stools tested for worms - it could be eating the plants to get the roughage to scrub out the parasites - hows its stools ? Runny and smelly or firm?

How big are the crickets/insects you're feeding him? What is the basking temperature in the cage? Can you post a photo please?

Pic

I will post a pic of him tomm he is sound asleep. His stools are good a little more urite than black he drinks a lot. They are medium to small crickets they are not as thick as his between his eyes. I think he is getting more used to his cage he usually runs to the back of his cage and hide today he stood his ground when I sprayed when I reached in he even hissed at me. His basking temp is 94 I turned it up a little to see if he eats. today I added his calcium to a cup and dripped his cage with it so he can get a few of his supplements. I got dubias on the way should be here tomm on local pet shop is pet smart and they have a horrible selection or half the cup is dead feeder which I don't want. I will also weigh him tomm and monitor his weight over the next few days.

And as far as he eating his plant I seen on here a lot of people say veiled eat vegetation is this true....

I have a five month old veiled. I got him at a reptile expo 4 months ago. Mine eats his plant often. When he was in a smaller enclosure I had to have two plants (one in the cage and one out) so I could switch them every month or so so that the plants would have time to recover and regrow. I believe your basking spot is about 10 degrees too hot. Until the age of 9 months, the basking spot should only be 85 max with an ambient temperature of 72-80. He just moved into his big boy Reptibreeze (2'x2'x4') about a month ago. He eats small to medium size crickets, mealworms, waxworks, & maggots. I tried dubia roaches a while back and he didn't like them, none of my chams did but I decided to give them another try and they should be arriving tomorrow. I feed him 10 feeders (usually two different types per meal) once a day every day. At six months, he's only supposed to eat 10 medium crickets every other day. I already see him slowing his eating as he's not eating all 10 items every day like he used to when he was going through a growth spurt.

I have attached two photos of my guy, Spike. The first is of Spike in October on the day I bought him at the reptile expo. The second is of Spike taken 4 days ago. (Sorry it's sideways!)

Attachments

• IMG_0209.jpg
    IMG_0209.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1935.jpg
    IMG_1935.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 158
yeah I had is basking spot lower but in a attempt to get him to eat I uped the heat and spray more to keep him hydrated

yeah I had it at 89 now its around 93.4-94.5 I gonna try veggies tomm and put his vitamin in his water not dust

did a lot of research before I got him and I doing it all like I have seen on here I not too worried about him yet he eats enough to survive at least a\two crickets a day if not more I just don't see him eat them except a few times I see him drink a lot though. just trying to get opinions I trying to find a flying feeder to see if that helps but not sure what to get and its cold to get them shipped here I already worried about roaches and they are tougher than flies by far.

the have caliworms here but when I opened them at pet smart they were all dead solider flies are these same thing could I just go to better pet place here and get those its super cold here would they live I already worried for my roaches temps were ok when I order now the reaching -15 tomm

pic of him

chaM.jpg
he gets dark when I try to touch him had him in my hand but u kept running lol didn't have anyone to take pic if u need better pic I can try..

Back
Top Bottom