Epic Parsonii Enclosure: Part 1

Just a small update. Still lots to do.
What is hard to capture is that there is a canopy. Essentially, the top of the enclosure is large rectangular plastic coated wire. This will support light fixtures, hanging pots, branches suspended from it, and allow maximum light penetration. The trouble is that it is not insect tight. To account for insects escaping, a canopy, enclosed in fine window screen sits above the larger mesh and the lights will go on between the 2 mesh ceilings. There will be fans at either side of the canopy to dissipate heat from the lights and draw in fresh air.

Above the bottom, which will be lined with pond liner, there is a line of screen along the back and sides for ventilation. I intended the polywall to be installed on the inside or the enclosure, for maximum moisture resistance, but the person who is helping with the build, while I'm at work deviated from the plan, so the seams will be caulked with silicone. The sides and back will all be covered with plastic lattice to act as a trellis for vining plants and conceal most of the white polywall and frame.

Attachments

• IMG_2074.JPG
    IMG_2074.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 232
Just a few more things to do before planting starts! This picture shows the false bottom. There is a liner, cinder blocks, on top of the cinder blocks there are plastic coated wire shelves. Over the wire shelves will go weed block or landscaping fabric, which isn't pictures, because I wanted to show the very simple bottom.
The landscape fabric will be stapled up the sides, over the liner and then that will be framed in strips of plastic molding or wood. There will be a pipe from the front corner, that a hose will run too and that will run to an external pump, which will drain away the excess water. There is a 6" deep space underneath the wire shelves for water to collect, before it is pumped away.

Attachments

• IMG_2100.JPG
    IMG_2100.JPG
    214.5 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_2103.JPG
    IMG_2103.JPG
    224.9 KB · Views: 226
Wow, that will be knockout when it's planted, I see the different layers you are putting in now, like a giant dart frog tank, so then a huge layer of soil ? With the misting and water requirements of parsons will the soil cope or will the plants manage to balance it up? I'm wondering if I could have a section of planted plants in my new place?
May I ask a side question? In your opinion, based on observation of behaviour, would you say that they prefer a long narrower space or a square or deeper cage or does it not matter? Mine will probably have to be square ish in shape. Thanks.

The soil will cope, as will the plants, but you must use a very porous soil, that remains friable, when moist. Since I am not using misting, but dripping as a primary means of hydration, the soil will only be getting satuarated heavily in localized areas. Once the soil has all it can handle, there is 6" of space to drain and collect, with the soil hopefully remaining above and out of contact with any standing water, which will be pumped out on a try to be determined schedule.
Regarding their preference for long and narrow or square, I was limited by the pool table in the center of the room. My animals are very shy and rarely venture to the front, so most of their traveling is done laterally, along the lengthy. Now, it's also worth noting that I kept most of the taller, denser plantings to the back of the enclosure and most of the branches/vines run side to side, none going from back to front, so they'd have to expose themselves a bit more to come towards the front of the enclosure and rarely are they willing to cross an open stretch of vine.
My animals do not associate me with food. They associate me with sinister intent and although they are less opt to run away from me merely staring at them, they are sure to stay as far away from the front of the enclosure as possible. They make my life and feeding them as difficult as possible, refusing any bowl feeding, having tried every conceivable feeder bowl, even leaving them in place to get used to. They are not very much fun, at the moment , but they are loved and doted on, anyway. ❤️

What follows is my opinion. Please don't take offense. ;)

I would imagine those shelves will rust and probably pretty fast. They weren't designed for contact with water. The bricks will wick up water and will get things growing on them. Water will sit on the bottom of your liner and get really stinky. If you have no access to clean this space you won't know how bad it's getting.

I like how you try to create these cages. These are just things I would think about if doing something similar. I'm curious why you don't just leave the plants in the pots.

The shelves are coated in PVC. They are above the water. The "stinky" area underneath will be pumped out. There is access to it, via a corner pipe, where the pump assembly till be housed. The bricks and what is underneath over 1' of soil depth can get as funky as it wants, because it's not going affect anything from 1' below the soil.
People that keep dart frogs do this all the time, with a false bottom.

I don't keep plants in pots for a few reasons.
Soil moisture gives off desireable humidity.
Having a large soil surface, with multiple areas of varying soil moisture give lots of choices for egg laying, lessening the chance the female will become egg bound.
Falls happen and a fall from a larger chameleon species, hitting the rim of a pot can be fatal. Having soft ground to land on is a good thing.
Aesthetically, I prefer the look of a natural planting and it's easier to maintain, as feces break down and I don't have to worry about pots being left too dry or being overwhelmed with water.
It's just my preference, as this is an exhibit, as much as an enclosure. I want it to be naturals in that aspect.

I'm really thinking of having a similar area now but because mine have 2 hours shower time a day I think I will keep one side as pondliner to drain and the other side drier and planted. I think you have answered my question- My boy is cbb but he is shy and staying well back from traffic and viv glass- i think given the choise he will favour the back of a deep viv- as you say making feeding and inspection more difficult so I'm going to plan a longer viv.
Do you know if I had the vivs parallel to each other with a 2ft corridor between would they stress if they saw each other? ( i know some cohabit them? but these would be separate but in view) I can have a fabric barrier if necessary. Thanks for the views.
I'm sorry yours are struggling a bit, it must be a very tough time for you and them.:unsure::)

I think separating them, as I will be doing in the new enclosure, increases breeding success. The excitement of a new animal, visible in their vicinity is stimulating. I don't think they'd be stressed. Mine show no issues with being together, but my male has also not been in perfect health. I don't thing cohabitation is the reason, but as they mature, it will become a bigger issue. Everyone I know of that breeds them seperates the gravid female from the male, so it's best I make arrangements now. I also don't want her mating before she is of a good size and age, so I need control of their interactions.

Planting will start tomorrow, but will take several days to complete. We will be putting the doors on after all the planting is finished. In the mean time, her are photos of the doors, the cage, complete with trellises on the walls and a trellis divider. Above the trellises in the middle of the enclosure will be 2 dowels on either side, and from these will hang a living wall of several pots of trailing pothos, spider plants, scinapsus, and begonias.

Attachments

• IMG_2121.JPG
    IMG_2121.JPG
    217.3 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_2122.JPG
    IMG_2122.JPG
    219.7 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_2113.JPG
    IMG_2113.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 236
Looking great- will be amazing when finished, You say you chose solid doors instead of mesh to help with humidity, is it glass or perspex type - if glass how have you fixed and hung the doors/weight.
Planting going well I hope. It will mop up quite a few plants!

The doors are made with polyester film. I have ventilation coming from a strip of screen, all around the sides and bottom, an open screen canopy, and 2 fans drawing air up and out, that are part of the canopy. I'll get photos of all that when it's all set up and running. I've been going until 3am, since Sunday and these are the most recent photos. Still LOTS to do!

Attachments

• IMG_2140.JPG
    IMG_2140.JPG
    341 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_2141.JPG
    IMG_2141.JPG
    229.2 KB · Views: 218
Jeez that's looking so beautiful already, can't wait to see what it looks like with branches and epiphytes etc.
3 am?? There's commitment! It's a huge amount of work.
I remember we worked on the parsons houses here, right up until the night, due to collect next morning, so rushing which I hate, we had worked on the all week, absolutely exhausting, mentally and physically.

I've so far surpassed the exhausted phase and am marinating in absolute numbness. There's a lot of backstory and this enclosure, though absolutely needed for many reasons, has been a huge, stressful, ordeal. I'm at the part I enjoy, which is the planting and hardscaping, but I'm rushed, because of work and holiday commitments. Damn having to work!

Back
Top Bottom