Fat dubia roach in my kitchen!

tkilgour

I found a nice sized dubia roach in my kitchen! One of my worst nightmares has come true. I always worry one of those would escape and sure enough one has. Well at least I think only one, but if one got out who knows how many others may have too. :eek:

Cutting the first two (total of 4) legs off has helped me when feeding. I also bowl feed. A little extra time, but worth it. 5 years+ keeping roaches and no escapes (4 species, 2 are climbers)

Cutting the first two (total of 4) legs off has helped me when feeding. I also bowl feed. A little extra time, but worth it. 5 years+ keeping roaches and no escapes (4 species, 2 are climbers)

Your patience is to be admired, and EEEEWWWW!:D

Nick

Thanks brock, I will most certainly take the time and remove those legs. Its possible one climbed out of the enclosure and climbed out when the door was open or something. At least I hope only 1, lol. My chams. love to eat these dubias, so I wont let an escapee scare me off.:D

Is there a lid and is the escapee a male?

There is a lid on the colony of dubia roahces. I am not sure if it was a male or not. However, I do not think it escaped from the container. I think it may have climbed out when I opened my enclosure door and I just didnt see it. I hope any way. :rolleyes: Hopefully there isnt a new colony forming in my house and crawling through my kitchen pantry.

I had lobster roaches and had a go at feeding them to my girl Trixxi but they were too fast for me and i was sooo scared of them escaping that i just couldn't bare to have them in the house that i killed them off in the freezer

Hopefully there isnt a new colony forming in my house and crawling through my kitchen pantry.
Maybe you could free-range the chams in the pantry now and again, just to be on patrol?:rolleyes:
Just got my first dubias this week; Thaxter was very excited when offered his first one.

lol funny subject, I guess I should free range some in the pantry :). My mother in law said I need to grow up and get a life other than chameleons, and she said everything about them is disgusting, especially their food, whatever ! :eek: I have to say walking into the kitchen and flipping the light on to catch a fat dubia kind of made me jump, but it totally freaked her out. My worry is the house was infested, but I have not saw any more, so my hopes are one just climbed out of the enclosure some how. So from now on I will simply take off the 4 legs as recommended.

lol, what makes the dubia roaches scare people i think their kinda cool.
I was looking at mine this morning and it hit me: These aren't roaches - they're Trilobites! (Seriously, if you saw one fossilized in stone, what would you think?)

There is a lid on the colony of dubia roahces. I am not sure if it was a male or not. However, I do not think it escaped from the container. I think it may have climbed out when I opened my enclosure door and I just didnt see it. I hope any way. :rolleyes: Hopefully there isnt a new colony forming in my house and crawling through my kitchen pantry.

Tonight as soon as it gets dark crank your ac down to 60 degrees and unplug your fridge, or any other appliance that generates heat. That should wipe them out. Least that's what I've read to do.

It makes sense. They are a tropical species of roach and do not tolerate cold very well. If you still find some, then this winter let the 60 degrees last a few days.

I remove a roaches head before feeding off to a chameleon if I am not there to watch it be injested. Just incase it escaped the chameleon, it still wouldnt live many days.
TKilgour, put out some sticky traps / roach motels just incase it isnt alone!

Thanks sandra for the advice. I put a bunch of them around to be safe and sprayed Ortho home defense. I luckily have not noticed any more dubias racing around at night.

Tonight as soon as it gets dark crank your ac down to 60 degrees and unplug your fridge, or any other appliance that generates heat. That should wipe them out. Least that's what I've read to do.

Uh- that won't do it. LOL. My colonies get colder than that during the winter all the time. Most of January and much of february they spent nights in the low 50s and days in the 60s.

I don't think they will infest a house though.

Back
Top Bottom