Feel like im failing my chameleon, constant stress.

@nuttyflower Hi there welcome to the forum. I know how extremely overwhelming it can be especially when you receive conflicting advice. When a vet gives incorrect husbandry info this can often compound the stress of the keeper. Which your vet did. I would be happy to do a full husbandry review with you. You would just copy and paste the form below into your reply and then answer all the questions. Please include pics of the entire cage set up including lighting on top and of the supplements being used.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Oh sorry i didnt see you asking this until after my other reply haha. Heres my best friend.View attachment 357015View attachment 357014View attachment 357013
He actually doesn’t look bad! I’m in Langley and have over 17 years keeping and breeding chams. At 1.3 years old he may be hitting his adult feeding regime of feeding every 2 - 3 days. What are you gutloading your feeders with? What are you feeding off? Are you giving a variety? Like people, chams can get tired of the same food choices, including gutload. Let me know what you’re doing in regards to that and we can go from there. I will advise; he looks nice and I think you’re doing a great job so far! May just need a bit of tweaking!

update for anyone checking back in. I went through another hunger strike and stood firm on not feeling guilty. Hes began eating again. All foods. Hes back. Stress gone. :)
Way to go! It's really hard to deal with hunger strikes because they make you feel like you are doing something wrong. My Cham went on a 19 day hunger strike. It almost killed me. I was doing everything i could to encourage him to eat. I considered chewing the bugs myself and then feeding them to him. 🤪 i spent so much money on feeders that ultimately died because he would not eat. Meanwhile, he was eating Pothos and Money Tree leaves! On day 20, low and behold, he decides to eat. When it comes to getting their way, Chams are masters.

Btw you said he is 1.3 years old. Well he is full grown. His appetite is reduced because he has been sick and has not been patrolling his cage with his normal zest. I think he is fine and just needs time. Don’t listen to the changes recommended by the vet. He did get a ri infection so you might want to stop fogging or at least don’t let it hit him and lower it and I would only cover the back and one side so there is plenty of circulation and cross flow of air. I don’t know what your misting s here is I hand mist. Also you need to clean and soak the fogging and misting tubes to kill off any bacteria buildup in all misting supplies without touching the motor parts. That is a possibility of getting an RI. I think you are on the right path and have to give your little buddy some time to recoup. Also try a walk in the sun. Maybe a change of scenery and some real uvb would help. Best of luck to you. So sorry the vet charged you so much for an RI. It’s seems it’s all about the all mighty dollar now. I have had to learn that the hard way too until I got a real vet. There are still some good ones out there it just finding them that’s the problem

Back
Top Bottom