For those experienced with live bearers...

coldbloodedAL

Avid Member
Have you ever had females drop unfertilized eggs, and neonates?

If so, were they all dropped at once? Unfertilized eggs before the babies?

How long before?

My female thamnobates left one, single unfertilized egg in the cage for me today, I hope this isn't a sign of things to come..

I haven't worked with Brady's but I've had the "yellow pearls" from jacksonii a couple times. The first time, years ago, was a whole "clutch" of them. I've also found the slugs in a cage after finding noes running around. Those were a LAC (large outdoor cage, ha) that I wasn't monitoring very closely so I'm unsure of the timing.

Fingers crossed for babies from your girl.

Have you ever had females drop unfertilized eggs, and neonates?

Yes. I’ve had females drop entire litters of unfertilized ova too. :mad:

If so, were they all dropped at once? Unfertilized eggs before the babies?

No. The slugs were mixed in with the neonates in no particular birthing order.

How long before?

Same birthing. My gals would give birth in the morning and it would only last a few hours tops.

My female thamnobates left one, single unfertilized egg in the cage for me today, I hope this isn't a sign of things to come..

I hope not either but I’ve heard stores long ago of females expelling the slugs before the actual birth but I can not verify this. Realistically how would the female know which ova to expel and which to keep.

Good luck!

Darn Alex, I really want to see that girl deliver some good healthy babies. Let us know what we get tomorrow. I am expecting a good number of babies so get that girl cranking.

when my Jackson had her babies 3 weeks ago, she had 6 babies, and 5 slugs - she had a baby, then a slug, then a baby, then slug - she did it in that order until she was done - the births were rather quick - the whole thing only lasted about an hr - all 6 babies are still doing fine - they will be a mo. old on Sat :D

what do you mean when you say slugs?

'Slugs' are unfertilized ova that get expelled during the birthing process of live bearing chameleons. Litters may include a few or these or be the entire clutch.They resemble a soft yellow pearl when first dropped but dry out fairly quickly.

Any news to report Alex?

'Slugs' are unfertilized ova that get expelled during the birthing process of live bearing chameleons. Litters may include a few or these or be the entire clutch.They resemble a soft yellow pearl when first dropped but dry out fairly quickly.

Any news to report Alex?

thank you.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I have no new news to report. I'm out of town on business til Sunday so my girlfriend is updating me whenever she can.

That is a great photo of a pearl Trace!

Back
Top Bottom