Found this in my roach bin!!

Miss Lily

Chameleon Enthusiast
What the heck is this?:confused: I am guessing that a female gave birth to the babies and they are still joined up! It's quite strange, if you look closely you can see some of their faces. It looks like the sac/tube that the females hang out of their rears sometimes, but why would I find a whole one expelled?

Roaches1.jpg

Roaches2.jpg

Interesting. I have never seen one yet! Mine are always born and climbing around when I see them. Thanks for sharing the picture of it.

They will drop the oothecae (egg sacks/case/etc.) for various reasons. If you ever see a female with one that has been hanging out for more than a few hours, slowly and gently pull it from her behind. If you pull too fast, the brood pouch where they keep them will come out and that almost always means death.

Yeah, I've never seen this before either. I think all the babies are dead. I did see a female wandering around with the tube hanging out of her a few weeks ago. None of the big roaches have died, so I presume she just expelled it for some reason. It's quite bizarre how the babies are al lines up face to face in two rows! Looks like some underneath have been eaten by the other roaches though.

It's about 77 - 79 at the moment. I don't have a heat mat, I just have a desk lamp aimed at them for warmth. They have produced babies for me kept like this, but not as many as I would like. My silkworm eggs are sat on top of the bin incubating.

It's about 77 - 79 at the moment. I don't have a heat mat, I just have a desk lamp aimed at them for warmth. They have produced babies for me kept like this, but not as many as I would like. My silkworm eggs are sat on top of the bin incubating.

you could try adding a heat mat to get the temps closer to 90-- you should get a large increase of babies... and they will grow faster

I have on of the ones for seedling starts (gardening) and it works well.

I use a clamp light which is the same as a desk light, with a red heat bulb(75 watt) and mine breed like CRAZY!!

Thanks for all the help with heating. The sun comes round on the tub too for part of the morning. Plus, I went to feed them tonight and found some newborn babies! Whoppee!! :D

Back
Top Bottom