Getting back into it

Porkchop

Hello all. I'm new to this forum. I recently decided that I was going to get a chameleon again (it's been 10yrs). They are such a unique creature. I started purchasing a bunch of the things I wanted and am pretty much ready. I was leaning towards carpets this time. I have had veiled and panthers before. The room I'm setting up my enclosure has a window unit AC directly across from it and we keep it constantly at 72. It is this reason that I decided to spend the extra money (instead of building) on the Exo Terra glass enclosure. The one I bought is only 18x18x24. 24 is the highest they go. I know it's better for them to have it taller but in this case I felt there was no other choice. Any comments, advice, questions, and as always criticism is welcome.

Hello all. I'm new to this forum. I recently decided that I was going to get a chameleon again (it's been 10yrs). They are such a unique creature. I started purchasing a bunch of the things I wanted and am pretty much ready. I was leaning towards carpets this time. I have had veiled and panthers before. The room I'm setting up my enclosure has a window unit AC directly across from it and we keep it constantly at 72. It is this reason that I decided to spend the extra money (instead of building) on the Exo Terra glass enclosure. The one I bought is only 18x18x24. 24 is the highest they go. I know it's better for them to have it taller but in this case I felt there was no other choice. Any comments, advice, questions, and as always criticism is welcome.

glad to see your getting back into chams! Buy just a warning your gonna get some heat about the glass. :/

\The one I bought is only 18x18x24. 24 is the highest they go. I know it's better for them to have it taller but in this case I felt there was no other choice.

That size cage is perfect for carpet's. They are a small to medium sized chameleon, and can be housed in an even smaller cage. I keep my female in a 16x15x20 at the moment.

If I were you I would find another place to put the enclosure. Even with it being a glass/screen combo. Its going to get alot of direct cold air blowing on it and with constant misting i would worry about a uri infection. Being that your in Florida I would go screen cage all the way anyway. Either way good luck. And I have a pair of carpets they are each in 16 x 30" all screen cages. So the size cage you have is fine.

Unfortunately until I move it will have to stay where it is. Space is limited. I'm probably moving in about a month to 3 months.

I just had a quick question though. Do any of you that use or have used glass have your plants planted right in the enclosure or do you still use pots? Reason I'm asking is because I would rather plant it directly and just cover the soil as to give it a better look.

Unfortunately until I move it will have to stay where it is. Space is limited. I'm probably moving in about a month to 3 months.

I just had a quick question though. Do any of you that use or have used glass have your plants planted right in the enclosure or do you still use pots? Reason I'm asking is because I would rather plant it directly and just cover the soil as to give it a better look.

I've done both with my pygmy chameleons, which were kept in an Exo Terra. I had fairly deep substrate for them (for egg laying purposes), and buried the pots of the potted plants in the substrate -looked good, but made the plants easier to remove when they had to be switched out. Substrate may or may not be a good idea for your setup, depending on whether your cham is liable to ingest it (can cause impactions) or not. Some individual chams are dirt- and substrate-eaters, some will ingest it occasionally by accident, some never have any problems.

I dont think you can get any better of an explanation than this.

http://chameleonnews.com/10JulAndersonGlass.html

Cainschams - That was a very good article. Makes me feel really good about my purchases. I'm just wondering if a heating pad is useless with putting soil and plants. I'm using a UV bulb. The Exo Terra enclosures are not made for high heat bulbs. Keep in mind my first post about the temp of the room.

Carol - I live down in Hollywood. Have you been here before? http://www.albinonile.com/index.html They have Carpets right now that I was thinking about going to check out on Friday. Only thing is that my setup may not be ready. Especially if I'm putting soil and plants. I don't want to rush it, ya know?

Also just want to say to everyone else thank you for the quick and courteous responses.

Cainschams - That was a very good article. Makes me feel really good about my purchases. I'm just wondering if a heating pad is useless with putting soil and plants. I'm using a UV bulb. The Exo Terra enclosures are not made for high heat bulbs. Keep in mind my first post about the temp of the room.

Carol - I live down in Hollywood. Have you been here before? http://www.albinonile.com/index.html They have Carpets right now that I was thinking about going to check out on Friday. Only thing is that my setup may not be ready. Especially if I'm putting soil and plants. I don't want to rush it, ya know?

Also just want to say to everyone else thank you for the quick and courteous responses.

I took am in south Florida. We have a lot of members in south Florida. BocaJan, me, Lizardlover and so on. I go to Ben Siegels all the time and know what carpets your talking about. Glad you came here to this forums:)

The carpet expert of the forum is Dooley 1, send him a pm if you need info. He also has some carpets for sale & his are top notch. I know as I got 3 from him.:D:D

As of right now, with nothing in my setup, not even the UV bulb, I'm at 76 degrees in the room with 51% humidity. I still plan on adding soil with a plant to my setup. Since I'm already at 51%, should I still look into getting hydro balls?

Also, in the article is said that generally the UV bulb in the Exo Terra setups provide enough of a basking spot. The fixture is rated up to 26 watts. Was wondering if I should get a regular bulb that is about 25 watts for heat or use the heating pad that was sold to me (was planning on returning it)?

I think that's all I have for right now. It's been so many years since having a cham and between all the reading I'm doing here and the reading I have been doing about my planted fish tank and moding a filter, my brain is fried. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom