help! bf out of town, taking care of the chameleon...

flashjord101

Hi! My boyfriend is out of town and unreachable and I am taking care of Harold, the 5 month old chameleon we have. He said if I have any problems with him to log on here and ask. So! This morning he won't stop circling his cage, he seems very antsy. I checked the temperature in there and it is 98 degrees.
Then..I went in to clean his cage and he ran up my arm, which he has never done before. I freaked out because I was surprised more than anything, and managed to get him back in there quickly because the dog spied him, too. At this point I think he was pretty pumped up because I was so stressed. I kicked the dog out, and put my hand back in close to him and at this point he hissed and jumped at me (he is normally the most mild-mannered chameleon ever!) So, he flew out of the cage and landed on the carpet, four to five feet below. I caught him and put him back in his cage. He didn't seem too stressed, his colors seemed normal. He is still circling the cage, like he was before, and he is now eating normally.
Question--should I worry that he jumped? And should I turn the heat lamp off? He is not gaping, which my bf told me was a sign of him being too hot but the circling is incessant. I am leaving for a wedding, so I will be gone for the rest of the day.
Any advice appreciated! Thank you.
PS he just finished shedding four days ago.
PPS Can't wait for the bf to read this one...

98 degrees is way too hot! You're cooking the poor guy. How many watts is the bulb?

The basking temp (Temp under the light) should be around 85 degrees.

98 degrees is too hot. Lower it down to 85 degrees. No you shouldn't be worried that he is circing, that means that he is healthy and active.

Also if he is still eating, drinking, and active then you shouldn't worry about that fall. My chameleon fell about 5 feet on to concrete, and he was perfectly fine.:D

Back
Top Bottom