Help! with B. Transvaalense breeding behavior

When I introduce him into her cage after theyve been apart for a few days all he does is brighten his colors alot but doesnt attempt to mate w her, and doesnt show any signs of aggression either. They can be right next to each other without a problem at all.
Thanks alot Jared haha that little guy bites hard!!! Anyway you could get that video for me? Id love to see it to let me have a better understanding of how they are when they actually try and breed and not fight.

Nope. Seems like unless you have a panther or veiled this forum isnt much help:-/ unfortunately.

I think not many people are qualified to help. South African Dwarfs until recently were never imported into the USA. I can consult you a bit however I'm going to send the information on a PM.

From her behavior of running away from him and attacking him when he tries to climb on her, I would say that she is non-receptive and may be gravid....but I have no first-hand knowledge of this species.

Let him establish an outside territory first. Let him see some "other" males as Chris suggested. He will "win" these display battles and own his territory. After a week (and now that he's feeling secure and in control), let him see the female from 15' then 10' then 5' then 2'. Other than the territory issues, there is also the issue of lumens and spectral intensity. These animals look different to each other outside in subtle but very important ways. To the point that they may not immediately recognize each other "...in the harsh morning light." Something sudden and new is cause for alarm. By bringing them together from a distance you can sit back and watch the show unfold. And when you finally slide her potted ficus into the king's last square, you can say "checkmate."

The female won't likely accept the male if she is not receptive or already producing eggs no matter how you slowly you move the male closer.

Of course not, but you will be able to see how things are shaping up and you will avoid unnecessary fighting. They have so much to teach us.

High population densities within the Bradypodion complex would mean that there would be a pecking order in nature. I think that male is establishing the pecking order.

Ive shown him his own reflection and he has no reaction, he also doesnt react to her unless theyre outside which I guess means his claiming his new territory and defending it, even from a female. Im going to do what Linda Davison told me to do since she got hers to breed and has had pretty good success as a cham keeper for many years!:) Im just gonna keep them apart for a week or two and then introduce the female into his cage (territory) and see what happens, since he has already claimed it per say. Simple enough, well see how that goes in about one week.

Not necessarily. The alpha male tends to occupy prime position in the bush or scrub that he calls his home range. Even females are attacked to establish the hierarchy. I used to find young males occupying the same bush as older males and they all seemed to get along fine. During breeding season all this used to change and the population dynamics seemed to change for a couple of months.

You will need to adjust your night time temps as well to induce breeding behaviour. It gets quite cold where they occur in South Africa.

South African Dwarfs until recently were never imported into the USA.

Lest we not forget Bert Langerwerf....

http://terrariummorbidum.wordpress.com/2008/09/22/remembering-bert-langerwerf/ and

xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/239353/377101151/name/Langerwerf+1992.pdf

I was fortunate enough to work with some of the Bd. thams that Bert brought into the states in the early '90s.

Showjet: all your animals always look super healthy. I would bet that you are going to succeed with Bd. trans. also.

Keep the observations coming.

well it looks like there is still alot to be learned from Bradys! Ill keep a close eye on mine:), and I think I actually saw some of those bradypodion when I was visiting Ardi Abates house in SD when Ken Kalisch lived there with her and had some he let me hold:) I must have been like 15 lol, thats when I picked up my Parsoni Cristifer from him way back when...

Back
Top Bottom