Hope this helps! ---> Glass Cages (blog type post)

VeiledOwner87

There have been a great deal of questions about glass cages lately, so I've done my best to try and help you guys with things to consider and glass cage sizes. The only glass cage that seem acceptable, are the Exo-Terra styles. This also includes Zoo-Med's naturalistic terrariums, and Protean Cages as mentioned in a recent post. Aquariums should be avoided as they only provide a top vent, which allows air too rise. Exo-Terra styles are designed with front door vents as well allowing for air flow circulation and heat escape. They are also beautiful as well :rolleyes:

Some Things to Consider:

1) The bigger the glass (EXO TERRA STYLE) cage, the easier it is to regulate.
2) Small cages could sometimes not even need a bask light at all.
3) You must have a constent room setting that will constantly keep your glass cage requirments steady.
4) You shouldn't keep these cages in a bed room for your comfortability as at times, the "cage room" will be too warm or too cool for your liking.
5) Are you providing an isolating fan to create a sufficient air flow in your "cage room"
6) Is it necessary to provide a humidifire? Too much constant humidity could lead to respiratory infections. This is why a "dry out" period is necessary.
7) Will you provide your reptile "cage room" and glass cages with digital thermostates?
8) You should avoid a room with windows to prevent unwanted drafts and over heating from sun rays.
9) Are you providing adequent height for aboreal species?

Species able to habitat size cages.

1) Smaller cages like a 12x12x18 are for your smaller species, a pair of Rieppeleon or Brookesia. It could even house a smaller species of true chameleons like Chamaeleo Sternfeldi.
**These cages are not so wide, but these chameleons can handle well at mid to higher room temperatures, a basking light in most cases would not be needed, rather the heat in the cage could most likely be achieved with your uvb source.

2) Another small cage but in a different dimmension would be a longer cage measuring at 18x18x18. I believe this could comfortably fit a single smaller species like Chamaeleo Senegalensis.
** For small true chameleon species that require a basking spot, but nothing drastically hot. These longer cubed tanks could achieve the length of temperature gradients, where a small wattage incandecent bulb could be elevated on on side.

3) 24x18x18 is a size that could house a single species like Furcifer Lateralis. It is again wide, with a 1'5 of height. I'm honestly not knowledgable about Carpet Chameleons, but just using size as an example. From what I do know, F. Lateralis aren's so much aboreal, as the tend to be more near brush. A size like this could be nicely planted, hold in the humidity it needs, and have the length to again have a small wattage incandesent basking bulb.

This size could also fit small montane species like Chamaeleo Cristatus, who loves the lower temperatures and loves dence brush. The cage again could comfortably be live planted, substrated and hold all the requirments tender montanes like this need.

4)24x18x24 would be a size working well for your montaine species ie. Chamaeleo Jacksonii, Bradypodion Fischeri Multituberculatum and Chamaeleo Deremensis. Again, heavely planted, comfortable size and humidity requirements easily reached, length efficient for small wattage basking bulbs.

4) The largest size in height that Exo-Terra makes is 24'' (2 feet high). This size could always be a debatable topic seeing as in true chameleons, and for larger species "bigger is better". Exo-Terra has a size that is usually a special order cage that is 36x18x24. Which would not give the chameleon as much height as desired, but would deffinately be able to have temperature gradients with the 3 foot length.

*These are just examples - Some may beg to differ.

I hope this helps, I did some research on the size of each animal listed, and a brief habitat check. These are my opinions and of course the animal's comfortablity is the first thing I take into consideration. This is why I have left the larger sized chameleons blank. It is your discression. Comfortability in the chameleon will eliminate a great deal of "confindment stress". If any other members want to add or suggest changes, feel free too. If you guys feel this should be a blog of some sort let me know as well.

How long have you kept the mentioned species succesfully in enclosures with those sizes ? 12x12x18 for Trioceros sternfeldi: Bad joke ! 24x18x24 for Kinyongia multituberculata: Ridiculous !
The exoterra type is far away from beeing the best for chameleons. Just check out those enclosures here:
http://images1.dhd24.com/34469561.jpg check out those ones. They have a much better ventilation system.
I still wonder why nobody in the US has noticed this gap on the market. The exoterra enclosures are overpriced and in most cases just too small

yes, and how much they? we dont always get the same products as you folks over seas. many many many keepers here have used exo-terra and only exo-terra as glass enclosures here in North America. Some have even kept all species in Exo-Terra styles as their only means of housing with no exceptions. As stated, I based the full grown size of animal according to what Exo-Terra provides for size. I will be moving my multituberculatum in an 24x18x24 come the end of October here. Also, I asked for input on changes or things to add, i didnt ask for people to be jackasses. no offence. people keep chameleons different in some aspects as you guys in Europe. Have a great day.

How long have you kept the mentioned species succesfully in enclosures with those sizes ? 12x12x18 for Trioceros sternfeldi: Bad joke ! 24x18x24 for Kinyongia multituberculata: Ridiculous !
The exoterra type is far away from beeing the best for chameleons. Just check out those enclosures here:
http://images1.dhd24.com/34469561.jpg check out those ones. They have a much better ventilation system.
I still wonder why nobody in the US has noticed this gap on the market. The exoterra enclosures are overpriced and in most cases just too small

I've never seen one of those. It does look very nice. What are those enclosures called and where can they be purchased?

As was just said though, and as is probably made even more obvious by my questions, these may not be readily available over here.

i dont think you read my post correctly, i aimed more so for smaller species, not bigger ones like F. Pardalis and C. Calyptratus, and surely you cannot keep Melleri and Parsoni, you'd need a friggen glass bird cage for them.

Wow, that is a really nice looking enclosure. Is it glass or plastic? The only thing is, I can't imagine most chameleons would like to be in the lower portion of the cage at all, and I'm not sure how you could set up drainage for it. Is it designed for snakes? I'm asking because I hope to figure out a good design for my enclosures pretty soon.

I was thinking of putting glass or plastic on the front and bottom, using 1/4 inch coated mesh on the sides, and aluminum on the top. I was imagining it should be at least three feet off the ground to allow room for a drainage bucket. The only problem is that the glass would get all spotted and wet every time the mister goes off, right? I'm still planning, haven't got the kinks worked out yet.

Thanks for this post. I have been in the process of deciding on purchasing 3 glass enclosures from Protean for my Panthers, seems they have been really reaching out to the cham. community to fine tune the use of their enclosures for this purpoose. I am not sure if they have reached that goal yet, I am willing to make the investment when and if these enclosures are the solution that I want. A great cham. home that is beautiful in my home and healthy for my chameleons. the sizes that they are offering are wonderful, as large or larger than the present cages we are all using (the 48").

I don't want to be a jackass...I just asked you which of the mentioned species you have kept with success in those enclosures with those sizes...There are some points right in your post, like the sunlight problem, or how important it is that the enclosures can dry out.
The enclosure from the link is a perfect chameleon glass terrarium. Few people here produce them this way, most of them haven't got the additional side screen which makes the better but as well expensiver. I'm quite sure that I have seen a homepage from a guy in the US who has started to build terrariums this way, but I can't remember the link. Maybe others can help here.
@KingJulian: Those terrariums are full glass, so that's already water proof. I'm using rain water when I spray my glass terrariums that helps to avoid the chalk spots. RO systems are an alternative for people who havent the option to use rainwater.

@Veiledowner: Those exoterra stuff is far away to be an adequate home for calyptratus or pardalis. Even the "biggest" one is not acceptable. Adult pardalis can be longer than the enclosure itself... And additionally both species are very active ones, like lateralis or multituberculata. Those species need always relative big enclosures.

Thanks for this post. I have been in the process of deciding on purchasing 3 glass enclosures from Protean for my Panthers, seems they have been really reaching out to the cham. community to fine tune the use of their enclosures for this purpoose. I am not sure if they have reached that goal yet, I am willing to make the investment when and if these enclosures are the solution that I want. A great cham. home that is beautiful in my home and healthy for my chameleons. the sizes that they are offering are wonderful, as large or larger than the present cages we are all using (the 48").

That's the company I mentioned in the post abouve

Wow, that's a poor website - be careful where you get your information.

I'm not denying that the Exo-Terra cages work for chameleons but I've kept and in some cases bred almost all of the species you mentioned in your initial post and none of the cage sizes I would recommend for any of them. Considering your experience level, please be careful with what you claim as being proper for specific chameleons.

Wow, that's a poor website - be careful where you get your information.

I'm not denying that the Exo-Terra cages work for chameleons but I've kept and in some cases bred almost all of the species you mentioned in your initial post and none of the cage sizes I would recommend for any of them. Considering your experience level, please be careful with what you claim as being proper for specific chameleons.

Amen Trace !

yes, and how much they? we dont always get the same products as you folks over seas. many many many keepers here have used exo-terra and only exo-terra as glass enclosures here in North America. Some have even kept all species in Exo-Terra styles as their only means of housing with no exceptions. As stated, I based the full grown size of animal according to what Exo-Terra provides for size. I will be moving my multituberculatum in an 24x18x24 come the end of October here. Also, I asked for input on changes or things to add, i didnt ask for people to be jackasses. no offence. people keep chameleons different in some aspects as you guys in Europe. Have a great day.

Build your own glass/plexi sided cages! There is no reason to limit yourself to the meager offerings of herp manufacturers who like to keep herps convenient, not comfortable. You can build whatever size cage frame you want and install plexi or glass panels in place of some of the screens. Been there, done that!

@KingJulian: Those terrariums are full glass, so that's already water proof. I'm using rain water when I spray my glass terrariums that helps to avoid the chalk spots. RO systems are an alternative for people who havent the option to use rainwater.
I am ignoring the rest of the argument, all I'm concerned with is my panther's cage. I would ask what the ideal size is but... well, if anyone has a reccomendation, let me know.

I initially was asking about drainage. Do you get puddles in the bottom of the enclosure? I've only had my cham for a little while and I had this problem last week. I added a second plant, so I'm not sure if this will solve the problem. I guess it's not a problem? How do you deal with excess water?

here is a picture of my custom glass enclosures by Protean. I ordered them late last year and have been using them for most of this year with great results. There are more plants in the terrariums now.

IMG_0676.jpg

I am ignoring the rest of the argument, all I'm concerned with is my panther's cage. I would ask what the ideal size is but... well, if anyone has a reccomendation, let me know.

I initially was asking about drainage. Do you get puddles in the bottom of the enclosure? I've only had my cham for a little while and I had this problem last week. I added a second plant, so I'm not sure if this will solve the problem. I guess it's not a problem? How do you deal with excess water?

You can either assemble a way to drain the water into a bucket under the cage or simply mop it up before lights out. If the cage bottom is plastic you can drill a drain hole and put your plant pots toward the center to depress it slightly and channel the water to the drain.

If you get problems with too much water even if you have a layer of seramis or similar in your enclosure and living plants, you spray too much !

Back
Top Bottom