Hope this helps! ---> Glass Cages (blog type post)

I've mentioned it in other threads and in the article I linked, but just to clarify again, as long as keepers are able to adjust their husbandry practices, especially in regard to the amount of misting, to account for the retention of humidity in glass terrariums, these types of enclosures can be exceptional chameleon cages and chameleons do very well in them. You just have to realize and account for how the environment is going to be different than in a screen enclosure. If you read up in some of the links I posted above, there is some good information on setting up a chameleon in a terrarium

I still can't get over how cool of a terrarium you could set up with a 36″ x 24″ x 60″ glass terrarium for larger chameleons like a pardalis, quadricornis, matschiei, etc. If someone put some time into setting it up, it could be an absolutely phenomenal display.

Chris

It saddens me to see so many people on here with limited views on what does and doesn't work as if this is set in stone. I beg to differ by the way I have seen chameleon breeders in Europe and Hong Kong house their chameleons in glass terrariums with great breeding success. Using properly set up glass terrariums you will have much less work to do in terms of misting and humidity control.

Part of the problem for US keepers is the huge diversity in climates and housing from one area of the country to the other. What might work in FL won't necessarily work in AZ, NY or WA. I've lived and kept chams in many places over the years. You can't just broadcast a solitary caging guideline and expect it to suit everyone. Add to this the fact that some keepers don't really understand their chams' requirements all that well. They know what worked for their situation but no one else's. Some ideas will always be debatable.

I think there is a pattern in how keepers learn (maybe it is the classic learning curve):

1. Newbies either do no research at all and learn from failure, or exhaust all sources of info before buying their first cham. The curve is steep and overwhelms some, who give it up.
2. Next, they stick to what works for them like glue and resist any new ideas. They've reached a sort of plateau in husbandry.
3. Next, they may be faced with a unique situation that the "rules of thumb" just don't seem to address...the door to new ideas opens a crack...and the learning curve starts again.
4. With the basics of cham behavior and husbandry understood, a keeper may decide to experiment, counting on their ability to catch changes in their chams' behavior and health before it is too late. The "rules of thumb" become guidelines that can be questioned or stretched.
5. Some keepers who keep working with more and more species, who research many subtle aspects of cham biology and breeding are now able to connect very specific species requirements to the mechanics of housing. Not too many folks arrive at this point either because they are contented earlier in the process or aren't able to expand their hobby this far.

So, this silly little illustration may do nothing more than say in round about terms that the right answer is "it depends".

Chris,

when we move to Portland, Oregon in October we should discuss this.

Carlton, that applies to all herpers.

-jason.p

Back in the dark ages (mid to late '90's) I kept a female pardalis and a female veiled in two seperate glass terrariums. They were made by Oceanic and the model was called a Lizard lounge. They had holes on the sides and back of the glass with plastice grates for ventilation and screen tops. I remember catching so much grief with other cham people for having glass cages. I ended up building all screen cages for my breeders and using the Oceanics to raise my hatchlings in. But for the time I used them they worked very well. My only problem was drainage, but I was going bare bottom with no soil. I will say I never lost any hatchlings the whole time I used them. I wish I could find them again but they were discontinued. They were nice looking to put in your home setting. A pita to clean though!

I still can't get over how cool of a terrarium you could set up with a 36″ x 24″ x 60″ glass terrarium for larger chameleons like a pardalis, quadricornis, matschiei, etc. If someone put some time into setting it up, it could be an absolutely phenomenal display.

Chris
I love setting up displays... I just don't have a green thumb. :(

If anyone does get one of those large cages and makes an awesome set up.... :D

I love setting up displays... I just don't have a green thumb. :(

If anyone does get one of those large cages and makes an awesome set up.... :D

I do have a green thumb of sorts (love to work in the yard, put in landscaping, manage flowers, design low-maintenance irrigation), but I've never put it into practice in this setting. I am in the process of putting together (in my head) a soil-based enclosure that will be mostly self-sustaining. I can afford a Protean if I want, and I called and spoke with them, but the size/weight is an issue. I live in a 3rd floor apartment that I hope to not be in 1 year from now. The full-sized glass cage I'd want weighs in a little shy of 300 pounds!! It needs several people and some industrial glass suction handles to safely move. Add the soil and plants and it's going to be well over 300 pounds. That's just not practical for me. So I'm thinking about doing a hybrid of sorts. I might get a "base" built by Protean - 24" deep X 36" wide X 18-24" tall - with a couple built-in drainage holes. I could use that to house a well designed plant base. Then, I could build my own screen enclosure "top" that is anywhere from 48-60" tall. If I build the screen part with nice raw cedar and frame the glass in the same cedar, it should look really good. The only issue I'm having in my head is, how do I take the top off for cleaning/moving? If this is all on a 24" table (which I'd like) and the plants are up to 4 ft tall (eventually), I'm going to need 12 ft ceilings to "lift" the top off. So I'm thinking how I might could design the top to disassemble a little, such as one sidewall could easily be completely removed so I could just "slide" the top to the side to get it off. It's getting complicated in my head and I don't know if I described my thoughts that well, but if anyone has any experience with this sort of thing and has any good advice, I'm glad to hear it. I want to really work through the pros and cons and plausability of this project before I put in $700 and find out it was a really dumb idea in the first place. :)

I'm in the process of making a plexiglass enclosure. I am using wood frames and very thin lightweight plexiglass to silicone to the frame. This will make the unit very easy to transport and much cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom