How old is my jackson chameleon?

SilverWolf

So I was talking with my friend who just got his jackson chameleon from the same breeder I got mine. The breeder said this new one he got is 5 months old. But to me he looks about 6 or 7 months old.

Now my jackson chameleon, when I got him the breeder said he was 3 - 4 months old. Unfortunately he didn't keep track of the birthdays :( So looking at my chameleon I decided he was definitely 3 months old. He was just so small. I will show pictures. Now assuming he was 3 months old when I got him, he will be turning 5 months old as of June 7th. I would like some opinions though. Can you tell me how old you think, Tricky is?

Tricky, 3 months old https://www.chameleonforums.com/att...s-whats-your-chameleons-name-tricky-day-2.jpg

Tricky, 5 months old. These pictures were taken today:

Attachments

• Tricky day 59 (1).jpg
    Tricky day 59 (1).jpg
    245 KB · Views: 215
  • Tricky day 59 (2).jpg
    Tricky day 59 (2).jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 219
hey there,

I'm no expert, as I got my Jackson Chameleon when it was just 3 weeks old from a friend who decided to drop her off as an unexpected gift back in April. She (I think it's a she anyway) is still super small at about 4 months. About the size of my index finger!

So I was talking with my friend who just got his jackson chameleon from the same breeder I got mine. The breeder said this new one he got is 5 months old. But to me he looks about 6 or 7 months old.

Now my jackson chameleon, when I got him the breeder said he was 3 - 4 months old. Unfortunately he didn't keep track of the birthdays :( So looking at my chameleon I decided he was definitely 3 months old. He was just so small. I will show pictures. Now assuming he was 3 months old when I got him, he will be turning 5 months old as of June 7th. I would like some opinions though. Can you tell me how old you think, Tricky is?

Tricky, 3 months old https://www.chameleonforums.com/att...s-whats-your-chameleons-name-tricky-day-2.jpg

Tricky, 5 months old. These pictures were taken today:

I'm definitely no expert in terms of aging chameleons, but I'd say you're about right on the age of yours--5 months... But that's basing it off of my Veiled who is 8 or 9 months now. Pic of him today is attached.

I'm not sure of the size difference of these two species, but I'm sure it's not dramatic. Someone will probably chime in with an exact answer soon haha.

hey there,

I'm no expert, as I got my Jackson Chameleon when it was just 3 weeks old from a friend who decided to drop her off as an unexpected gift back in April. She (I think it's a she anyway) is still super small at about 4 months. About the size of my index finger!

Females are normally smaller than males--that doesn't surprise me haha :D

Attachments

• 10418337_321535188009687_5664457793512215873_n.jpg
    10418337_321535188009687_5664457793512215873_n.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 144
5 or 6 months seems about right. How many grams is he? Weight is probably a better indicator. My Jax was 20 g at about 7 months, bigger than your guy, and doubled in sized 6 months later. At 2 years, he's a little over 65g - still pretty small even for a Jax.

Can't the horn length also be a way to detect approximately how old a male Jackson's is? Maybe it is a better way then the comparing of weight or size?

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B12ZzMMMtMynd05QempUY040VVk/edit

That link is a video I made very recently, of the first 100 days with, Tricky. In the last picture it was the 100th day so that's July 17th. I will post the picture here though if you're not really interested in seeing, Tricky's growth.

I would say as of right now (he is just finishing shedding his skin) I believe he is about 6 months, and will be 7 months at around the 7th of August. Since the breeder did not know, I just made up his birthday. It is January 7th which would make sense if he was 3 months old the first day he arrived, April 8th.

Attachments

• Tricky day 97 (1).jpg
    Tricky day 97 (1).jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 151
  • Tricky day 100.jpg
    Tricky day 100.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 147
He is a handsome boy! :);) His size looks like the same with my boy Jax but Tricky's horns are much more straight than Jax. :D

Can't the horn length also be a way to detect approximately how old a male Jackson's is? Maybe it is a better way then the comparing of weight or size?
Good question. Not sure! Horns seem highly variable, but growth is likely related to overall health. Unless there was trauma to the horn, it might help age a Jax. I think it's probably no one thing, but the combination of clues.

If you wanna get really extreme you could probably do some sort of tests like dna or something and be able to tell from there (a scientist would answer your question). But that'd traumatize your cham like crazy so I wouldn't recommend it haha

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B12ZzMMMtMynd05QempUY040VVk/edit

That link is a video I made very recently, of the first 100 days with, Tricky. In the last picture it was the 100th day so that's July 17th. I will post the picture here though if you're not really interested in seeing, Tricky's growth.

I would say as of right now (he is just finishing shedding his skin) I believe he is about 6 months, and will be 7 months at around the 7th of August. Since the breeder did not know, I just made up his birthday. It is January 7th which would make sense if he was 3 months old the first day he arrived, April 8th.

I'd have to guess you're just about right on with his age. My female jackson will be seven months next week and she's right around the same size as Tricky. And Tricky is a very handsome boy, by the way.

My main question is how much bigger do you expect they'll get? From nose to vent Lola is about 4 or 4.5 inches right now. From what I've read, I wasn't expecting her to get much bigger than that.

My Jax is maybe a foot long - 6 inch body, 6 inch tail. Honestly, I don't expect him to get any longer... Maybe fatter if I keep feeding him like this :)

Back
Top Bottom