Humidity/humdifier

Nixehface

I'm still not really getting a great humidity range in my enclosure so would anyone think it is worth getting a humidifier to help things out?
I'm basically misting every time I notice that the humidity has dropped into the 30's and on some days that can be quite a lot of misting and Marley doesn't like it at all lol.

I have covered the top of my cage to not let so much out but I don't know what else I can do to keep it up.
Should I invest in a humidifier?

I'm still not really getting a great humidity range in my enclosure so would anyone think it is worth getting a humidifier to help things out?
I'm basically misting every time I notice that the humidity has dropped into the 30's and on some days that can be quite a lot of misting and Marley doesn't like it at all lol.

I have covered the top of my cage to not let so much out but I don't know what else I can do to keep it up.
Should I invest in a humidifier?

Well what I do is take some of my mom's old hair capes and pin them to the sides of the cage and back. I have one on the back and one on the side. You could also use a shower curtain? Do you get what I mean?

Humidifir is not necessary if you can fix the problem. Try anything like plastic bags or capes/curtains.
Let us know how that works?

Well what I do is take some of my mom's old hair capes and pin them to the sides of the cage and back. I have one on the back and one on the side. You could also use a shower curtain? Do you get what I mean?

Humidifir is not necessary if you can fix the problem. Try anything like plastic bags or capes/curtains.
Let us know how that works?

Yea I've tried that already. I've covered up what I feel is the most I can do...
I have a wooden viv with mesh as I live in the UK so it's not really like there is much else to cover lol.
I've moved him away from any area that I thought was cold..
I mean my room is the hottest room in the house so if I moved him anywhere else it probably wouldn't help much.

Thanks for commenting though!

More than one will be better if you have room - it will also provide places to hid, climb and also drink (from droplets formed on leaves when misting). Make sure they are safe though as some chams like to eat leaves! Faves are Schefflera Arboricola (NOT actinophylla), Pothos and Ficus. Chams love Hibiscus too but they aren't available until the summer over here!

More than one will be better if you have room - it will also provide places to hid, climb and also drink (from droplets formed on leaves when misting). Make sure they are safe though as some chams like to eat leaves! Faves are Schefflera Arboricola (NOT actinophylla), Pothos and Ficus. Chams love Hibiscus too but they aren't available until the summer over here!

Yea, I've got a big leafy ficus in there from b&q.
Hopefully they will have a bit more in stock this time since summer is closing in!

Even having live plants in the room, if not the cage, can help. Also having a fish tank or similar helps, even a bucket of water with a bubbler in it near the cage might help.
I do find that for about one month of the winter the humidity levels in my house drop lower than I'd like, so I have a humidifier in the cham room (not a huge room) and it does work well. You own skin might appreciate a humidifier connected to your house ac/heating system :)

Im not sure covering the top of your cage is the right move, you do still want the heated air to be able to rise and thus cause movement /exchange of air in the cage

Even having live plants in the room, if not the cage, can help. Also having a fish tank or similar helps, even a bucket of water with a bubbler in it near the cage might help.
I do find that for about one month of the winter the humidity levels in my house drop lower than I'd like, so I have a humidifier in the cham room (not a huge room) and it does work well. You own skin might appreciate a humidifier connected to your house ac/heating system :)

Im not sure covering the top of your cage is the right move, you do still want the heated air to be able to rise and thus cause movement /exchange of air in the cage

Thanks for this!

The bottom half of his viv is mesh aswell so I thought that it would be alright to cover the top if there is still air flowing through the bottom?

I have had success putting a container of water with a small under tank heater under it...make a screen lid for the container so the cham wont fall in the water..
DO NOT FILL IT UNTIL ITS IN THE CAGE...you could get electricuted if watergets on the uth..if the bottom of your cage holds water you may also want to put some kind of legs on it...a paint roller strainder works well for this.

I bought a humidifier over the winter because 30% humidity was killing me. I love it, the chams love it. It really helps, especially if you have dry skin. I highly recommend them! I wish I had bought one sooner :D

Humidity

I have a humidifier behind our chams habitat and it keeps the humidity at 50%. I also mist her cage about 3 times a day. I think it helps maintain the humidity in the cage better than anything else. We have three large umbrella plants and a pothos in there and even with all the live plants, the humidity was still dropping to about 30% until I turned on the humidifier.

Back
Top Bottom