I need Help with a Live Plant

Titobattilocchi

I have a schefflera plant that I was told to get by the breeder. I'm having problems because a lot of the leaves are falling off and the basking light is burning up the leaves in the cage I only have a 50 watt bulb in it. The Plant still looks good but I was wondering if those leaves will re grow back. And if there is some other things I can do for it.:confused:

Do you have a bulb specifically for your plants, or relying on basking light?Also, what are the temps on the top of the plant? You should not be burning plant with a 50W. I have a 100w dimmed down.My plants have no burn issues, and thrive. What kind of soil did you pot it in?

what eeekroar said, check that you have enough light from some sort of plant light. A basking light is really just a small flood light, not capable of providing the light needs of the plant.

I only have a 50 watt basking light and a 18 watt UVB light over the cage. I only picked this plant because they said it does not need much light and the people at the Nursery said there are pretty easy plants to take care of. I moved the Basking light where the plant is not to close to it. I just moved the plant from one pot to the next so I never changed out the potting soil. But I'm wondering about all the leaves that are falling off because I'm not seeing any new ones come in, does this plant have leaves grow back in where it lost the other ones? Temp is around 90 and he loves the heat.

@Tito: how close to the top of your cage/bulb is the plant? You said your temp is 90F, I'm hoping that is at the highest part of the cage under the basking spot? You didn't tell us what kind of chameleon you have or what its age is, but 90F is likely slightly hot for some species as well....just in case you might want to fill out the "Help form" and we can look over your whole setup to let you know if its all good or not :)

are leaves falling off on other parts of it or only the parts near the light?

this may seem stupid, but are you watering it enough? I found that I ended up neglecting my chameleon plants the most because I was assuming the misting was watering them enough; in my case (handmisting) it wasn't! My ficus was having the same problems until I started watering it directly and it popped right back.

EDIT:

Leaves will grow back if the conditions become appropriate; but the leaves aren't falling off on their own, there is most likely something "killing" them and until you fix that they probably won't come back.

HERE IS THE HELP FORM:

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

A picture of your setup will help a lot too

A grow light (6500k) will help with growth. But also, some plants will drop all their leaves when moved to a different location, then adapt to light/water conditions then re-sprout/grow.

First, I would change the soil. You have no idea what fertilizers they had in it.
Second, get a 6500k for your plants.
Third, what is your chams basking temp, and ambient temps?
Yes, it will grow leaves back.My Schef did not drop any leaves when I transplanted it. How often are you watering it, or misting the cage?
Most people use a 5.0 repti uvb bulb

Back
Top Bottom