I'm Back!

HerpGuy94

I originally posted awhile back about wanting a panther chameleon, but then I got a veiled baby instead. I hadnt been on in awhile for personal reasons... but now Im back. I felt like I should give you guys an update on Emily! Shes been looking really fat, Im wondering if its cause shes reached ovulation age. What is that dreaded age again? lol... I hope you guys are as friendly as I remembered! She outgrew her cage and my mom is using the open air cages for her baby chameleons, so I have Emily in my room, free ranging in a couple fake trees. Im giving her extra attention, until Im sure she will do fine. I mist her trees three times a day, and I feed her about 20 crickets every other day. Im handling her in one of the pics cause I had to get her down from ontop of the door and it was a good shot.

EmilyUpdate001.jpg

EmilyUpdate002.jpg

EmilyUpdate003.jpg

EmilyUpdate006.jpg

Danny

Greetings, and thank you for the update. She's very pretty. A very nice green, and she definitely isn't freaking out about being held. How old is she?

I am a bit concerned about the look of her eye turrets, and the bony-ness of her thighs and the base of her tail. But her leanness may just be due to her age. But the eyes do look a bit off. Does she rub them at all?

Could you give us a run down of her general habitat? Here are a few questions most all of us answered when we first posted about our chameleons. (I realize you already described and photographed her free range):

Lighting - What brand, model, and type of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? What type of UVB lamp are you providing and how much time does she spend near it each day?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Location - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings.

I agree with Sandy, her eyes don't look quite right. We'll be looking forward to your answers to the questions above!

Shes about 6 months.

She doesnt rub her eyes at all, they dont seem to affect her, but they do look a bit odd.

Im not sure what brand her lamp is, I have tons and it got mixed up with the others. When it cools down I can take a look. She spends about 2 hours under it, and orbits around the trees the rest of the time.

The top is 90 degrees. The bottom (where she never goes) is 75 degrees. I use both a thermometer with a probe and a temp gun for this.

Humidity is 75 percent. Im keeping it up by misting several times daily. I know because the digital thermometer I use also measures humidity.

No live plants.

The one tree is 6 ft tall, the other is 5 ft. Low traffic area, only me and occasionally friends, but when the door is open it blocks her off from seeing us.

Shes a 6 month old (approx.) veiled chameleon. Ive been keeping her for about 6 months.

I handle her only when I have to, which is maybe twice a month.

I am feeding her crickets and dubia roaches. I feed her every other day. They are dusted with nature zone essential calcium. I feed my crickets and roaches vegetables and baby food.

I use a misting bottle, I mist three times a day for about 2 minutes each time. I occasionally see her lap up some drops.

Her last fecal matter I saw was solid looking, brown colored. Also a pure white urate.

ANY suggestions at all, I will take. Im always open to suggestions. I just want to make my animals happy.

Danny

It doesn't sound like you're using any sort of UV light. You should order a Reptisun 5.0 from www.lllreptile.com immediately. LLL will save you about $30 on the bulb. How long are you keeping her lights on daily? I didn't see if you answered that question. Also, it may be good for her if you got some live plants and ditched those fake ones. Veileds like to munch on their foliage and you wouldn't want her getting a mouthful of fake plant. It could cause her internal damage.

Are you using calcium with or without D3? How often are you dusting?

I just checked... strangely enough.. it is a reptisun 0.5... how weird! the calcium has some D3 in it. I dust almost every time I feed. Anything else? just tell me what to change if there is anything wrong and I will straight away. Emily is my baby... My brain has completely rotted over the last few months and Ive forgotten everything... figures...

Danny

You need to get calcium without D3 and use plain calcium every other time you feed her. Only use the calcium with D3 twice a month. The days that you use the D3 don't use the plain calcium. I also use a mulit vitamin once a month. Is she drinking water?

Is it a Reptisun 5.0 tube or compact? If it is a compact, we've just discovered the problem with her eyes. Those compact bulbs are disasterous for chameleons and cause terrible eye problems and eventual blindness. And you need to get some calcium without D3 and only use the D3 a couple of times a month. Also, pick up some Herptivite.

Ok, no problem. It is a compact... I just found out we have a big open air cage too. I think Im gonna get her outside on the porch. I know not to use D3 then, cause she could OD on it. I know we have some calcium, dunno about the other thing you said. Sorry if I seem a little out of it.

Ok, yeah. I would really get rid of the compact as soon as you possibly can. Herptivite is a reptile vitamin. I use it twice a week. And natural sunlight is great for her!

Thank you for answering all those questions. I just got back to this thread. You're getting some good advice.

If I were a betting person I would bet money on the compact light being the problem with the eyes. It is best to remove it now, as Kat77 said, and replace it as soon as you can. In the mean time you can get her outside for a few hours a week for UVB. Do not keep the compact going until it is replaced. It is too dangerous and she is already showing problems.

Ok, no problem. It is a compact... I just found out we have a big open air cage too. I think Im gonna get her outside on the porch. I know not to use D3 then, cause she could OD on it. I know we have some calcium, dunno about the other thing you said. Sorry if I seem a little out of it.

Thank you for answering all those questions. I just got back to this thread. You're getting some good advice.

If I were a betting person I would bet money on the compact light being the problem with the eyes. It is best to remove it now, as Kat77 said, and replace it as soon as you can. In the mean time you can get her outside for a few hours a week for UVB. Do not keep the compact going until it is replaced. It is too dangerous and she is already showing problems.

Yes, I completely agree, don't turn it back on at all. Just get the Reptisun 5.0 tube asap, and throw the other thing in the garbage. Was that her light AND heat source? I only see one light but I could be wrong.

Ughhh... I tried for two hours to convince my mom that Emily needs those lights. She's just too stupid to realize anything. First she thought that you guys are idiots and didnt know anything, then she thought it was the sun damaging Emily's eyes, then she thought it was a problem with what we were feeding her. She refuses to buy that bulb for me. Ive tried everything I can think of. It really pisses me off cause she acts like she knows a lot about reptiles, then does stuff like this. Im really sorry guys, to you and to Emily. How much are they at the store? I might be able to scrape up enough money to get one.

Danny

my parents are the same way. they buy me stuff that doesnt really matter. but i have to buy all the plants, bulbs and all the accessories.

Ughhh... I tried for two hours to convince my mom that Emily needs those lights. She's just too stupid to realize anything. First she thought that you guys are idiots and didnt know anything, then she thought it was the sun damaging Emily's eyes, then she thought it was a problem with what we were feeding her. She refuses to buy that bulb for me. Ive tried everything I can think of. It really pisses me off cause she acts like she knows a lot about reptiles, then does stuff like this. Im really sorry guys, to you and to Emily. How much are they at the store? I might be able to scrape up enough money to get one.

Danny

Danny, buy it online. Petstore charge twice the price.
Petsmart charge the light around 30 dollars.

lucky, they are on sale now at lllreptile.com for 13 bucks.
http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...por-bulbs/-/zoo-med-24-repti-sun-50-uvb-bulb/

Danny

Dodolah is absolutely correct. Go to http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/uvb-fluorescent-lights-mercury-vapor-bulbs/
and pick one up for $13. Don't bother with the pet store, just like dodolah said. You'll be paying WAY too much. Then go to walmart and get a $9 fixture for it. If your mom wont spend $22.00 for the health of your pet, it is extremely unfortunate,and the vet bills associated with the problems caused by compact bulbs will cost much more than $22.00. Do you have a heat bulb for her or was that compact your only bulb? You need to turn off that compact either way. If your mom has questions, send her here. In the meantime you can use a regular incandescent bulb for heat (I'm guessing the compact was your only bulb since i only saw one lamp). You don't need a special heat bulb.

Back
Top Bottom