Infected casque

Maybe I have been stressing too much about humidity! Got my tape measure out much to Karmas' disgust, just woke him up! Have the beginnings of a plan, involving screen top and hood for lighting. Cheaper than a new viv but will take a few days to sort and a bit of head scratching. Thanks for the advice. x

Hood? If you have the screen top you can just sit the lights on it :)

Just been looking at some fairly recent photos of Karma on my phone which I have attached. I have found a photo which shows his casque at the beginning of the problems he has been experiencing. I remember now it started as little bumps on the tip of his casque. Is this what a burn loooks like at the beginning or could this be something else entirely? Opinions welcomed, many thanks.

Attachments

• DSCF1243.jpg
    DSCF1243.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 150
His casque and head have really filled in since you got him; that area is quite skinny in that older photo. If I remember correctly you received him as an adult right? To me those large scale looking things at the top of the casque are just that, large scales. However burns will sometimes start as a blister so that could be the case but most of the time I see it as a white patch that doesn’t match the surrounding skin. I don’t see anything unusual in that photo.

How is he feeling now? Is he taking his meds okay?

Thanks for your reply. Karma has taken all his meds and there is no more orange stuff coming out of his casque. His casque looks much the same, thin looking at the top and covered in unshed skin. I'm hopeful the top of his casque has survived, it might be wishful thinking but I think I can see green skin underneath the white. Time will tell I suppose. He has been eating and drinking well throughout this and seems otherwise in good health. I got him as a tiny baby and he is very precious to me:).

Well I have invested in a new viv 4ftx2ftx2ft. Karma seems happy and settled, his colours are better than they have ever been. However his favourite place in his viv is hanging off the guard around his ceramic heat bulb which I thought would be well out of his reach, grrr!! I will have to cut a hole in the top and mount the light externally. The damaged part of his casque finally sloughed off yesterday and the remaining casque looks good. :)

Attachments

• DSCF1748.jpg
    DSCF1748.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 145
I find chameleons will bask in odd spots and/or hang upside down and/or roam a lot until they get settled into their new cage. He may lose interest in sitting on the guard once he feels more comfortable but I would play it safe and remove it. Are you using the ceramic heat bulb for nighttime use? If so Veiled Chameleons can definitely handle a temperature drop at night and is actually fairly normal and healthy for them.

His casque does look good! It healed very nicely. He looks like an all around healthy guy so keep up the good work and have fun with him. Give him a treat from me.

Thanks for the advice. Was thinking of buying a dome light and sitting it on top of his wooden viv. I would cut a hole in the top nearly as big as the circumference of the dome and obviously mesh this off. However bit worried about the dome light burning the wood, how hot do they get? Would this work? Anyone got any ideas?, thanks again to everyone who has helped me. Couldn't have done it without you!!

Back
Top Bottom