Introducing Yoshi!

ash.sutton42

Hello everyone! Yoshi here! First time owner and so very excited! This forum has been so helpful so far! I've had him for 48 hours and I'm happy to say he's eating for me (not out of my hand, but in front of me at least!) and isn't hiding when I have to go near his cage!

Any advice is super appreciated! I know his cage still needs some work, but I wasn't sure what he'd like, so we're going to try some different stuff once I feel like he's a little more adjusted!
1000003968.jpg
1000003963.jpg
1000003954.jpg
1000003967.jpg
1000003972.jpg

He wouldn't leave the door tonight when it was time to turn the lights off, so he's now sleeping there!

Hello and welcome!
We’re so happy you joined the chamily, you have the cutest little Cham 😊

I have a few questions about your husbandry, if you could fill this out it would be super helpful 😊

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Hi and welcome to both you and cute little Yoshi. :) I’m so glad that you’re here and wanting to learn and give Yoshi his very best life. He will be needing more, as you are already aware. It looks like you bought the ZooMed chameleon kit, which will work for only a very short time.
The most important thing that he needs without delay is the proper uvb light. The coil/screw in uvb lights have most no range and any farther away than 2-3”, there’s no uvb. You’ll need a T5 fixture with either a 5.0 or 6% uvb light. Either ZooMed or Arcadia (my preference) brands are the only proven ones. You can find some cheaper ones, but after testing a better known brand of one, I was disappointed that it was so lacking in uvb output. Once you get the correct uvb light, you’ll want to place your basking area about 8-9” below it. This is also where you’ll be measuring basking temps. Put your thermometer probe there. Since Yoshi is still small, basking temps should be around 80F. Once he’s an adult, it can go up to 85F.
Your cutie is going to grow quickly into a big guy and will be needing much more space. The standard minimum is a 2x2x4’ enclosure, but I say go as big as you possibly can. I like to double up on the XL sized for double wides and my chameleons enjoy all of the space. It is a challenge to hang branches and vine, but there are easy solutions. One is Dragon Ledges. https://dragonstrand.com/dragon-ledges/ When used properly, they can hold so very much weight. Another option that I’ve been liking and using is garden trellis. Using some small gauge wire, I attach it to the enclosure frame and it is sturdy enough to attach plants to. I do drill some tiny holes in the trellis and attach a couple of screws into the frame to better secure the wires.
Branches and live safe plants are a definite must. Veiled’s like to nibble their plants, so it’s important that they don’t have any fake ones (can cause obstruction if eaten) and that they be veiled tested. Pothos is your new best friend. This is a great guide which will help. https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/ For branches, you can use ones you can find outside. Avoid pine, eucalyptus and others that have a strong odor or sap. Give a scrub with some dish soap and a good rinse and let dry in the sun and they’re ready to use. Anything that doesn’t come off after I scrub with a plastic brush gets to stay, like lichens. Provide lots of little roads for your guy to travel on. Our boys will patrol their entire enclosure regularly, so give him lots of branches and plant cover to do that.
Next that I want to make sure you are doing right is supplements. These are as essential as having the correct uvb in preventing metabolic bone disease and other health failures. You want a phosphorus free calcium without D3 to lightly coat at every feeding. Repashy makes a nice D3 that doesn’t cake up so easy - Supercal no D. Then Yoshi needs a D3 and multivitamin, and the easiest is to use a combination product. Again, Repashy makes calcium plus LoD or you can use Reptivite with D3. Either of these is a better choice than some other brands because they use a form of vitamin A that chams are better able to use. Anyhow, you’ll use the D3/multivitamin powder at one feeding every other week (or twice a month).
You’ll be wanting to provide a nice variety of live feeders of the right size. Anything larger than the space between the eyes is too big. Many on line vendors sell variety packs, which are great. Welcome to now having ‘pet’ bugs. 😁 It’s important to feed and care for your feeder insects as well as your chameleon. Healthy well fed bugs are more nutritious for Yoshi. Looking at him, I can’t really guess how old he is and am wondering if he is really a he. Although hard to tell from a pic, for his size, he should be showing boy patterns and have a taller casque. Look to his back feet. Boys have prominent nubs, called tarsal spurs. Some girls might have tiny ones, but there’s no mistaking the ones on the boys.
There’s more that I could go on and on about, but let me leave you here. I don’t want to overwhelm you. o_O I’m sure one of the other forum members will also add their advice and tips. We are a helpful bunch. Do ask as many questions as you need. Attaching some pics that may be of help.
IMG_0025.jpeg
IMG_0005.jpeg
IMG_1036.jpeg IMG_1444.jpeg IMG_5883.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom