jackson chameleon broken top jaw. please help

The poor girl.

Did they give you antibiotics for the infection?
Did they clean out the infected area?
If not, then the vet did you, and her, a terrible disservice, as she very clearly has an infection.
MBD in Jackson's is pretty rare.
An infection that caused the bone to be destroyed is not so rare.

I do understand how upsetting it is when you are trying your best to help your cham.

You may be able to tempt her to eat some juicy Phoenixworms. They're soft enough to not require hard chewing and they are very high in calcium.
I get mine from here so they're fresh http://www.phoenixworm.com/servlet/the-Phoenix-Worm-Sizes--Place-Order-Here/Categories but they're also sold in stores and a different brand is called calciworms.
Silkworms are another soft, nutritious feeder.

Last edited:
If a portion of the teeth and jaw bone fell out then the infection is pretty bad. The vet should have cleaned out all the thick cheesy "pus" in the whole mouth area. Antibiotics won't penetrate it....so although the antibiotics may still help they won't cure it. He should also have done a culture and sensitivity test to determine what antibiotic would kill the bacteria involved.

What did the vet says to do about the MBD he says she has. (I'm not saying she has....I don't know. ) did he do a test to see what her calcium levels are??

I wouldn't recommend you doing it yourself. ....I wouldn't try it myself and I've been keeping reptiles for over 25 years.

The prognoses sounds pretty grim I am sorry to say. Issues with the bones in the jaw are very serious. Infections like these can also inhibit eating. I hope for the best!

I'm glad the vet gave her an antibiotic.
Is it Baytril?

I wouldn't try to clean things out myself.
It would probably cause much more pain and problems than it is worth.
If the area is so infected that bone loss has occurred, it would be too delicate to safely handle, AFAIK.

I don't know whether or not reptile infections can clear up if the pus is not removed.
Perhaps it just requires longer treatment time.

Hopefully Ferretinmyshoes will once more respond to this thread since, as a vet and chamkeeper, she would know with certainty.

With the new medication she's doing so much better already. She's not eating well tho. She pooped out whole meal worms..

Can you give her something softer and easier to chew? Maybe smaller hornworms or silkworms, or reptiworms?

Thank you all for helping me so much...but as of 8:12 om she had bled out thro her mouth dispute all of the medical aid I gave her. I can't even think right now....she will always be missed...

You took her to a vet, which is more than some people are willing to do.

At least you tried to help her.

So very sorry for he loss. Her infection was so bad that I wasn't sure there would be any success clearing it up unfortunately. You gave it the best try.

In my experience only very very mild cases of mouth rot can be treated without a vet...but most people don't even notice it until it's past that stage.

On our own Site on the forum there are these comments on treatment...
"mouthrot requires veterinary treatment wih appropriate antibiotics and cleaning out the pus and the infected tissue in the jaw."
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/healthx/head-neck/

Another Site...
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=17+1796&aid=2385

One more Site...scan down...
http://www.merckmanuals.com/pethealth/exotic_pets/reptiles/disorders_and_diseases_of_reptiles.html

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for your loss. :( Unfortunately these cases usually do not end well. Severe stomatitis (mouth rot) is very difficult to treat and in my experience once the bone is involved it's practically hopeless. Diseased and broken bone is just a highway for bacteria to the bloodstream and the rest of the body so they're just too sick when it gets that advanced. And the bone has little to no chance of healing well. You did your best to get her the help she needed. May she rest in peace.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom