Jackson's or Veiled?

chameleongurl

Hello, I am getting a chameleon (and yes before we get into it I know the care requirements for both, and chams in general) but I wanted to ask people personally; do you like Jackson's chameleons or Veiled chameleons better? There is a male Jackson's at the pet store, he is beautiful (I will include a picture). I know they tend to be calmer, or at least as calm as chams can get. However, there is a 6 month old male veiled chameleon on Craigslist. He is very beautiful as well (again I will include a picture and his description). Thanks!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Hello, I am getting a chameleon (and yes before we get into it I know the care requirements for both, and chams in general) but I wanted to ask people personally; do you like Jackson's chameleons or Veiled chameleons better? There is a male Jackson's at the pet store, he is beautiful (I will include a picture). I know they tend to be calmer, or at least as calm as chams can get. However, there is a 6 month old male veiled chameleon on Craigslist. He is very beautiful as well (again I will include a picture and his description). Thanks!View attachment 159372 View attachment 159373 View attachment 159374

I dont think it's the best idea to get them off craigslist since they could be trying to sell a cham that has parasites or is sick.

My Jackson has a great personality and is considerably tolerant with me when outside of his free range habitat. I vote Jackson ! ;-)

I would definitely try and inspect the Veiled Chameleon in person to see how he looks. His casque looks a bit oddly shaped to me from that photo. Keep in mind that if you get him, he could have health issues from improper care during his time with his previous owners.

The Jackson looks pretty healthy, but since most Jackson's are wild caught, you'll have to address any parasite issues after he's settled in.

I love both Jackson's and Veiled Chameleons, but I have only own Veiled. The two I've owned have had a pretty feisty attitude, so also keep that in mind.

I would definitely try and inspect the Veiled Chameleon in person to see how he looks. His casque looks a bit oddly shaped to me from that photo. Keep in mind that if you get him, he could have health issues from improper care during his time with his previous owners.

The Jackson looks pretty healthy, but since most Jackson's are wild caught, you'll have to address any parasite issues after he's settled in.

I love both Jackson's and Veiled Chameleons, but I have only own Veiled. The two I've owned have had a pretty feisty attitude, so also keep that in mind.
Okay thank you, I am asking for more pictures of him now. I'll keep you updated.

Another important thing to consider in your choice...how easily you can provide the correct conditions for either species. A montane species like the jax will need more humid and cooler conditions than the veiled will. Consider the room where the cage would be, and your local climate during the year. Using heat in colder winters or an AC during hot summers will mean you will have to pay more attention to the jax's setup and may need to add a fogger, humidifier, or auto mister to your setup (more setup costs and daily attention).

For either cham, check out your local vets BEFORE you need them. There's a listing of experienced herp vets the forum knows about at the top of the forum...check to see how close to any of them you are.

Another important thing to consider in your choice...how easily you can provide the correct conditions for either species. A montane species like the jax will need more humid and cooler conditions than the veiled will. Consider the room where the cage would be, and your local climate during the year. Using heat in colder winters or an AC during hot summers will mean you will have to pay more attention to the jax's setup and may need to add a fogger, humidifier, or auto mister to your setup (more setup costs and daily attention).

For either cham, check out your local vets BEFORE you need them. There's a listing of experienced herp vets the forum knows about at the top of the forum...check to see how close to any of them you are.
Okay thank you. :)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I vote veiled because I heard that they're a little easier to take care of/more tolerant of lower humidity. My suggestion is to get a baby and raise it. Then you can put in the time and effort to hand feed it and try to handle it from the start. It was great to watch Herbert grow up into the big boy that he is now. You can normally find them at petco for like $59.99. Veiled chams are also my favorite so I'm a little biased. Here is what I got to experience.

First day that we got him. Ate crickets from my hand on the second day.
image.jpg

A little older. Falling asleep on us after turning out the living room lights at night.
image.jpg

Teenager. Hormones kicking in. Dominant display to claim his territory
image.jpg

Him yesterday watching me write a long post on here. He's about 10 months old now.
image.jpg

My wife and I love Herbert like a son. He's always doing something silly. But like I said, this is just my opinion and I'm obviously biased towards the veiled! But a lot of them can be grumpy and not enjoy or tolerate being handled. We just lucked out and put in a lot of time with him since he was a baby. I also vote male because I read that they tend to have a longer lifespan, due to the fact that they're not producing and laying eggs. Another thing to consider is cage size. I started out with a 16x16x30" reptibreeze chameleon kit, but he quickly outgrew it. I wish I would've just started with a 24x24x48" which is an acceptable size for a full grown adult.

Last edited:
I vote veiled because I heard that they're a little easier to take care of/more tolerant of lower humidity. My suggestion is to get a baby and raise it. Then you can put in the time and effort to hand feed it and try to handle it from the start. It was great to watch Herbert grow up into the big boy that he is now. You can normally find them at petco for like $59.99. Veiled chams are also my favorite so I'm a little biased. Here is what I got to experience.

First day that we got him. Ate crickets from my hand on the second day.
View attachment 159402

A little older. Falling asleep on us after turning out the living room lights at night.
View attachment 159403

Teenager. Hormones kicking in. Dominant display to claim his territory
View attachment 159404

Him yesterday watching me write a long post on here. He's about 10 months old now.
View attachment 159405

My wife and I love Herbert like a son. He's always doing something silly. But like I said, this is just my opinion and I'm obviously biased towards the veiled! But a lot of them can be grumpy and not enjoy or tolerate being handled. We just lucked out and put in a lot of time with him since he was a baby. I also vote male because I read that they tend to have a longer lifespan, due to the fact that they're not producing and laying eggs. Another thing to consider is cage size. I started out with a 16x16x30" reptibreeze chameleon kit, but he quickly outgrew it. I wish I would've just started with a 24x24x48" which is an acceptable size for a full grown adult.
Thank you so much! It's so nic to see how much Herbert has has had such a nice life with you. Do you think 6 months old is a baby, or no? Also, once his hormones kicked in did he "get mean" and not let you hold him anymore?

For a first cham a 4 month old would be a good choice. A baby or hatchling can be more delicate, easier to dehydrate or injure, and they need very tiny food (so more of a learning curve!). Not all veileds turn out to be mean. Its very individual. They can go through a "terrible teens" phase at about 6 months when they may be more cranky, but they often mellow out again. Its really hard to predict. The best way to look at it is to understand how a cham sees the world as a territorial non-social creature, what things can stress them out, don't expect a cham to be what it can't be, and appreciate what you end up with as his unique personality. There are ways to deal with a grouch...start him off by getting him settled and healthy, Help him learn a daily routine he can count on, teach him that you are a source of good things (such as hand feeding favorite feeders, gentle occasional handling).

For a first cham a 4 month old would be a good choice. A baby or hatchling can be more delicate, easier to dehydrate or injure, and they need very tiny food (so more of a learning curve!). Not all veileds turn out to be mean. Its very individual. They can go through a "terrible teens" phase at about 6 months when they may be more cranky, but they often mellow out again. Its really hard to predict. The best way to look at it is to understand how a cham sees the world as a territorial non-social creature, what things can stress them out, don't expect a cham to be what it can't be, and appreciate what you end up with as his unique personality. There are ways to deal with a grouch...start him off by getting him settled and healthy, Help him learn a daily routine he can count on, teach him that you are a source of good things (such as hand feeding favorite feeders, gentle occasional handling).
Thank you, that helped lots.

I really think you can't go wrong with either species as long as you understand their differences and give them what they need.

Thank you so much! It's so nic to see how much Herbert has has had such a nice life with you. Do you think 6 months old is a baby, or no? Also, once his hormones kicked in did he "get mean" and not let you hold him anymore?
He got territorial and would puff up, hiss, and open his mouth and pretend that he was going to bite us. It only happened a few times and it was when we were "invading his territory" by sticking our hands in the cage to handle him. But it didn't last long and he is very friendly now. I normally just open the door to his cage and he comes right out. After he's out of his cage, he lets us handle him without any problems. He doesn't hiss or try to bite anymore even when I'm in his cage. Hope that helps!

I am very pleased with my veiled Blanche. She is so peaceable towards us. I couldnt ask for a better first cham.

1. First day

2. A month later first day full time free range
She sat and looked out her new window for hrs.

3.walk hard

4. Yesterday, the first time she climbed on my 3 yr old,
If you look close you can see the jeolosy in my 4yr old's
Eyes. ....don't worry guys this was very supervised and not a regular occurrence.

You will be happy with whichever you pick, just give him all the love and attention he deserves. And remember your chameleon NEEDS you. Good luck light and love

Attachments

• 20160307_091752.jpg
    20160307_091752.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 211
  • 20160422_160537.jpg
    20160422_160537.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 193
  • 20160505_165833_3.jpg
    20160505_165833_3.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 280
  • 20160605_164242.jpg
    20160605_164242.jpg