Large screen cages?

julianfremaint

I currently have a 24 by 48 inch screen cage. I am thinking about upgrading the size for my panther chameleon. I have been browsing the internet and cannot find any larger. Does anyone recommend or know anyone that sells larger sizes?

24x24x48 is fine for an adult panther. It's the minimum size for an adult panther or veiled chameleon.

Bigger is always better though. If you find that he wants more space or likes to be let out often, you can always build your own for quite cheap :)

I know some companies like Lll sell cage extensions that go on top of that size cage. They add approximately 2 feet to the height. Hope that helps. Other then some expensive custom cage builders I'm not aware of anything out there that is what I would call inexpensive. Please let me know if you find some. :D

I currently have a 24 by 48 inch screen cage. I am thinking about upgrading the size for my panther chameleon. I have been browsing the internet and cannot find any larger. Does anyone recommend or know anyone that sells larger sizes?

are you handy? this cage cost $ 80 ( the one on the far left ) - it is 4 36" screen doors ( $ 20 each - already screened :D ) - frame the top ( you will need to screen it ) you screw 3 together- and the 4th add hinges and a door latch - you can buy a washer pan to sit it in, and a bucket to catch the drip water - they are really sturdy, and you can screw vines or branches to the sides - I use mine outside in summer - to use it in a washer pan you would have to frame a small bottom to get it higher than the lip of pan so you can open the door- or just set it on some 4X4 - but these are so easy, and cheap, it takes less than an hour to make one :) to hold things on the top, get a small section of the wire closet shelving - it fits right on the top, and gives a sturdy top to sit your lights and dipper ;)

Attachments

• screen cage.jpg
    screen cage.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
If you're handy, or know someone who is, it would definitely be cheaper to build a larger cage. My husband built 2 cages (each 4'L x 2'D x 3'H) for a friend for right around $55 each.

I know some companies like Lll sell cage extensions that go on top of that size cage. They add approximately 2 feet to the height. Hope that helps. Other then some expensive custom cage builders I'm not aware of anything out there that is what I would call inexpensive. Please let me know if you find some. :D

Thanks! I took a look at the cage extender. It is a great idea and I may be interested in buying it. But I was mainly interested in the 24 inches expanded a bit. Longer at the bottom of the cage. I'm not sure if there is anything like this but if there is a cage longer and deeper that would be great.

Most of the cages I've seen are modular where they are 6 solid sides. Buy 1 more take the side off of each one and screw or clamp then together, it would make the cage 4x4x2. You could do 4 of them for 4x4x4. Might be a bit easier. If you are handy though like the rest have said it will be a ton cheaper to build your own.

are you handy? this cage cost $ 80 ( the one on the far left ) - it is 4 36" screen doors ( $ 20 each - already screened :D ) - frame the top ( you will need to screen it ) you screw 3 together- and the 4th add hinges and a door latch - you can buy a washer pan to sit it in, and a bucket to catch the drip water - they are really sturdy, and you can screw vines or branches to the sides - I use mine outside in summer - to use it in a washer pan you would have to frame a small bottom to get it higher than the lip of pan so you can open the door- or just set it on some 4X4 - but these are so easy, and cheap, it takes less than an hour to make one :) to hold things on the top, get a small section of the wire closet shelving - it fits right on the top, and gives a sturdy top to sit your lights and dipper ;)

I love the ingenious use of the pre-made treated lumber screen doors. :D Thanks for sharing.

I love the ingenious use of the pre-made treated lumber screen doors. :D Thanks for sharing.

these are NOT treated - I just put a coat of linseed oil on them - and they have held up fine :) I dont know if treated would be good ~ but they are so easy to make, cheap, and what cham would not want a 7' tall cage :D

That is brilliant. I might have to do something like that for my next one. Chameleons are like tattoos. Once you get one, you're most likely going to get another.

Back
Top Bottom