Large Tortoise's

wow thx again, i was looking at the russian, then pancake, and the cherry head..all of them look awsome...

thye do look nice...but i am trying to look for one thaqt doesnt really burrow...i hear cherry heads dont burrow...so who knows:D

I think they all borrow if you give them enough substrate. You should have seen the holes that the 400lb Aldabra torts dug..LOL!

I think they all borrow if you give them enough substrate. You should have seen the holes that the 400lb Aldabra torts dug..LOL!

I can only imagine LOL:eek::rolleyes::p:cool:

will do more research..among trying to get bearded dragons, crested geckos, wheeleri geckos, dart frogs, scorpions, tarantulas, and of course CHAMELEONS:D

I can only imagine LOL:eek::rolleyes::p:cool:

will do more research..among trying to get bearded dragons, crested geckos, wheeleri geckos, dart frogs, scorpions, tarantulas, and of course CHAMELEONS:D

I have two beardie females. A very bright orange citrus (same color as the fruit) and paid the price for her but worth it as I hope to breed her. And a not so bright red phase as a pet quality. I got them from these guys one of the best breeders around. http://www.fireandicedragons.com/

I was going to get a Russian tortoise to start off with, but I ended up rescuing my current fella, Kurt. They don't need a whole lot of space as a baby, but eventually they need a 30'x30 pen with an underground fence (5') to stop them from digging out. I feel bad when I have to bring him in as he has to stay in a 2x4 pen and he looks miserable. I finally bought him a dog house and got him a nice heat mat. Now he only leaves to graze on his grass when it's sunny. :)

He loves cactus pads and hibiscus flowers. He still hasn't warmed up to me, but that's fine. He will eat out of my hands occasionally, but he prefers me to scatter his food so he can forage even more. Luckily, because he had MBD he has not gotten into the habit of digging (although he may eventually.) so far, the only digging he's done is straight into hay piles and towel piles! :)

I was going to get a Russian tortoise to start off with, but I ended up rescuing my current fella, Kurt. They don't need a whole lot of space as a baby, but eventually they need a 30'x30 pen with an underground fence (5') to stop them from digging out. I feel bad when I have to bring him in as he has to stay in a 2x4 pen and he looks miserable. I finally bought him a dog house and got him a nice heat mat. Now he only leaves to graze on his grass when it's sunny. :)

He loves cactus pads and hibiscus flowers. He still hasn't warmed up to me, but that's fine. He will eat out of my hands occasionally, but he prefers me to scatter his food so he can forage even more. Luckily, because he had MBD he has not gotten into the habit of digging (although he may eventually.) so far, the only digging he's done is straight into hay piles and towel piles! :)

that sounds s cute and funny:cool:...i do love the sulcata babies:cool:....how long do you think i have when i need that size of a pen enlcosure for him?...especially the underground fence:eek::cool:..? TIA

It depends on how you want him to grow. Most feed them to the point where they grow extremely fast compared to the wild (which isn't always bad as long as it doesn't affect their bones/carapace and what not.) if you tried to mimic nature as best you could without depriving it of nutrition you would probably have 10-ish years before it would need a cage that is rather impractical for indoors from what I understand.

It depends on how you want him to grow. Most feed them to the point where they grow extremely fast compared to the wild (which isn't always bad as long as it doesn't affect their bones/carapace and what not.) if you tried to mimic nature as best you could without depriving it of nutrition you would probably have 10-ish years before it would need a cage that is rather impractical for indoors from what I understand.

cool....i am hoping for "slow and steady" :cool:...but it would have to be the amount of food i give him/her?...or what i feed him/her....TIA

cool....i am hoping for "slow and steady" :cool:...but it would have to be the amount of food i give him/her?...or what i feed him/her....TIA

I posted a pic of my citrus beardie a page back..did you see her?? She's very pretty :)

;)

She is BEAUTIFUL:):eek:...im sorry i didnt see it sooner:eek:....i can see why u would breed her;)

still i saw some high intense "bloody red" morphs and still consider them cool too:p:cool:

Did you check out the www.fireandice.com link. They have screaming reds.
I want to breed my female but don't want any male. And the ones I want are $300 and up

they have awsome breeders....and i guess u need to PIMP your girl out;)

I know!! Just have to find the right pimp :) I'm thinking of getting a male from them but don't feel like waiting a year for it to mature. But that means a ready to breed good quality male will cost me 500 and up which I don't have.
So many reptiles and too little money!!! :)

Oh, it does depends on what you feed as well. An imbalances diet will lead to pyramiding and MBD. It's something you have to really research.

Back
Top Bottom