Large Tortoise's

ToExXx

I have a Sulcata thats about 6-7 now and he is wonderful. Comes when I call him, begs to go outside during the summer. He like to play and tries to hang out with our dogs. Just curious if anyone else has any large tortoise's. Does anyone know what the largest species a person can get a hold of. Tracker supposedly will get to 200lbs in theory but most of what ive seen is about 45-55lbs max. Tracker is only about 12-15lbs now. If you guys have pictures stories Id like to see :)

Without permits sulcatas are the largest you can get I believe. I think they are the third largest. I have a 10 year old rescue sulcata, but he's only 11 lbs. His carapace is getting better though! He has some pretty bad pyramiding though...

you can get galapagos tortoises and you do not need permits if they are CB, they are just super $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

you can get galapagos tortoises and you do not need permits if they are CB, they are just super $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Galapagos Tortoises are an endangered species of animal and do require many permits in order to legally obtain and care for one, regardless if they are captive bred or not. The largest species of tortoise that requires no permits is the Aldabra Tortoise. This species is second in size only to the Galapagos Tortoise and get pretty expensive (Usually around 1,500-3,000 for a hatchling).

how much do sulcatas cost when young? and do they grow fast/ easy or difficult to care?....sorry im getting an interest in this tortoises..:cool::p

Galapagos Tortoises are an endangered species of animal and do require many permits in order to legally obtain and care for one, regardless if they are captive bred or not. The largest species of tortoise that requires no permits is the Aldabra Tortoise. This species is second in size only to the Galapagos Tortoise and get pretty expensive (Usually around 1,500-3,000 for a hatchling).

I worked at a zoo for several years taking care of three Aldabra Torts. They were estimated to be close to 100 years and weighed 400-500 lbs a piece. they were absolutely huge. They would come when we fed them. Liked to be patted. Awesome animals.

I got my guy as a hatchlin, cost me 100$. Where can I get a galapogos? Im just curious if there is actually a place to get them. Ive thought about doing a tortoise rescue someday after I get some land. I think a galapagos breeding center would be a nice job :) My sulcata like to play. He is a toe nibbler also. I would say he not especially a fast grower, and he ez to take care of once you get a nice setup.

I got my guy as a hatchlin, cost me 100$. Where can I get a galapogos? Im just curious if there is actually a place to get them. Ive thought about doing a tortoise rescue someday after I get some land. I think a galapagos breeding center would be a nice job :) My sulcata like to play. He is a toe nibbler also. I would say he not especially a fast grower, and he ez to take care of once you get a nice setup.

I wonder what age a Galopagos breeds at??? I would imagine that at maturity they are very large and old according to people years..they live such a long time. It could be 50 to 60 years. If you get one as a baby you're probably going to be dead by the time they reach breeding age..LOL!

cool..whats the set up for the sulcata's ....i wouldnt mite getting one as a hatchlin:cool:

I worked at a zoo for several years taking care of three Aldabra Torts. They were estimated to be close to 100 years and weighed 400-500 lbs a piece. they were absolutely huge. They would come when we fed them. Liked to be patted. Awesome animals.

Sounds like fun. Moving those giant torts where you wanted them must have been a hastle.:eek: What zoo did you work at if you don't mind me asking?

I worked at Southwick Zoo http://www.southwickszoo.com/
It was a while back but it was fantastic. It took 4-5 Guys to load the torts onto the back of a truck. I took care of 36 diff species of primates including chimps and lemurs. I also took care of the exotic birds, Kangaroos, reptiles and more. Patted Rhinos, lions, tigers, llamas. Went to exotic animal auctions where all types of exotics imaginable were sold to zoos and exotic keepers. It was an amazing experience!!

if it takes them 50 years to get to mating age, I better start now. I have about as much luck to see some galop babys as I do my social security :p slim and none lol

how much do indian star toroises cost?...i saw tortoise supply and they ran out:p...sulcatas are too big for me right now, but how about the indain star toroises....care, size, etc....TIA:cool:

how much do indian star toroises cost?...i saw tortoise supply and they ran out:p...sulcatas are too big for me right now, but how about the indain star toroises....care, size, etc....TIA:cool:

They cost 600 dollars I believe on Tortoise Supply.com. I have a pair of Sri Lankan Star tortoises and their care is basically the same as Indians. Indians only get about around 10 inches max with females slightly larger. Sri Lankans get a bit bigger though. As a hatchling you will want to keep it on what tortoise keepers call a "tort table." As a adult and juvi you will want to keep them outside if your weather permits because natural sunlight is best for shell growth etc. Tortoise supply has a great info on them so you can read up on there.

Check out kingsnake.com they come up pretty often there if seen them from 700 and up depending on size

They cost 600 dollars I believe on Tortoise Supply.com. I have a pair of Sri Lankan Star tortoises and their care is basically the same as Indians. Indians only get about around 10 inches max with females slightly larger. Sri Lankans get a bit bigger though. As a hatchling you will want to keep it on what tortoise keepers call a "tort table." As a adult and juvi you will want to keep them outside if your weather permits because natural sunlight is best for shell growth etc. Tortoise supply has a great info on them so you can read up on there.

Check out kingsnake.com they come up pretty often there if seen them from 700 and up depending on size

DAMN!!!:eek:....maybe i should stick with thwe sulcatas:p...only 75 bucks for a baby:cool:

Hey MIchael, what kind of tortoise would b great to own for a beginner and reasonably priced.....TIA

DAMN!!!:eek:....maybe i should stick with thwe sulcatas:p...only 75 bucks for a baby:cool:

Hey MIchael, what kind of tortoise would b great to own for a beginner and reasonably priced.....TIA

I personally started out with a russian. They are a great species; they stay small only about 8 inchs max and reasonably priced. The only thing you have to watch for with this species is that they like to burrow. You have to tunnel proof your tort pen so they don't escape when they are outside.

Really you can start with any species you like, but just do your research.

I also did some research because i was thinking of getting a tort. The cherry head red foot is supposed to be good also. They stay smaller then the regular red foot and the colors are really pretty also.

I personally started out with a russian. They are a great species; they stay small only about 8 inchs max and reasonably priced. The only thing you have to watch for with this species is that they like to burrow. You have to tunnel proof your tort pen so they don't escape when they are outside.

Really you can start with any species you like, but just do your research.

wow thx again, i was looking at the russian, then pancake, and the cherry head..all of them look awsome...
I also did some research because i was thinking of getting a tort. The cherry head red foot is supposed to be good also. They stay smaller then the regular red foot and the colors are really pretty also.

thye do look nice...but i am trying to look for one thaqt doesnt really burrow...i hear cherry heads dont burrow...so who knows:D

Back
Top Bottom