Laying bin getting soaked :s

dreamforthedead

Mia's laying bin is getting really wet every time i mist her cage, any idea's what to do? I'm gonna have to change the sand, I don't wanna take it out. I've read some people don't keep laying bins in the cage, they wait till she is gravid and then put her in the bin. Does that really work?

It is ALWAYS a great idea to keep a laying bin in a females cage until the end of her life.

Try not misting so much towards the bin, more on the leaves, I don't know what else to say other than move things around if it is getting too wet.

If she is due to lay, put a towel around the cage to give her the best privacy.

You can make an upside down v shaped tent/roof over the container with some of that plastic stuff that looks like corragated cardboard or whatever else you want to use so that the water will not go in the container.

Not leaving the container in there could mean that you will miss the signs of when she is ready to lay and she might end up eggbound.

I have veiled chameleons. And five sexually mature females. I would take the sand out of her enclosure if you're worried. Place the sand into a deep plastic or rubber bin near her enclosure. I would half-fill with sand and lightly dampen it. I would place a heat source with light (I use a mercury vapour bulb) over the bin close enough for the warmth and light to have effect but not so close that she could climb out! I would have nothing else in there. I pick up my animal and If she knows you wont be stressed mine green up when I occasionally hold mine and I'm able to bring her close to a dipper of water (Luke-warm) and I allow it to drip slowly onto her snout. I hold her firmly without squeezing and they usually relax for me and (often but not always) start drinking. Once I'm satisfied that she's drunk enough water and she's green or lighter in colour I place her in the bin. I have before that made a starter hole for her. If she's not green and is cold or dark I warm her up I only place her in the bin once she seems relaxed. I have about 10 inches sand depth. Mine so far have never had problems laying and because I help them with their hole are usually fine immediately after. If after a time she appears not interested in digging then she's probably not ready so return her back to her enclosure and repeat this routine daily until she lays.

You could put a lid on the laying bin while the heaviest of misting/dripping is going on. Or leave a lid on all the time, if you are very sure you know when she'll need the bin so you can uncover it in time.

Hey there Ashleigh, take a look at some of my enclosure pics, I was having the same problem but solved it by finding a piece of plastic ( I actually used a tinted safety shield that I snagged from work) and attached it approx 4 inches above the laying bin and now I actually have to mist the sand occasionally to keep it damp.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/updated-pics-carmies-home-opinions-please-43139/

That plastic cover is a great idea, im gonna try that. Thanks Mike, oh and your set up is looking amazing. Im in the middle of looking for some more plants for Mia. Oh and how is carmie doing?

I have a pathos pot hanging above Peanut's laying bin and the leaves and vines hang naturally around it. I find this allows some moisture and Peanut always has access.
I think she likes the semi private setup because she has laid successfully in it...and i was able to keep an eye on the process.

Good luck

Thanks, I think she really likes her enclosure, I am just trying to grow a pothos to a better size to put in and maybe add some more vines. Carmie is doingh great, she really enjoys going outside to climb around in her lilac tree for some good old fashioned real sunlight and really likes when I can actually catch some dragonflys to feed her (they r quite tough to catch and I'm sure if anybody saw me trying they would think I was nuts lol) How do you pronounce Mia? Meeah or miiia?) just wondering as My fiance and I just had a baby girl on July 23rd and we named her Mia (meeah) She is so cute:)
I really like Gary1621's suggestion as well and think it would work well too.

You can make an upside down v shaped tent/roof over the container with some of that plastic stuff that looks like corragated cardboard or whatever else you want to use so that the water will not go in the container.

Not leaving the container in there could mean that you will miss the signs of when she is ready to lay and she might end up eggbound.

That is a fantastic idea. I have tried slanted plastic, keeping the lid on, etc and it still gets soaked. Now I am going to prop a tent over it, that is the best idea yet. Thanks Kinyonga!

Back
Top Bottom