Lifespan of UVB bulbs

Hillary anne

Established Member
How long is the lifespan of a uvb bulb? I have a reptisun 10.0 long bulb.

I’ve heard to change it out every six months but noticed the ends of it are dimming and slightly blackish. I’ve had it three months and am wondering if it’s time for a new one.

Thanks! Anxiously awaiting on news from the vet from his over night stay and all I wanna do is upgrade his home for when he’s ready to return from the hospital tub. Ordered some pothos and calcium without d3. Waiting to be able to afford a mistking! Might need new bulb or I might be manic and crazy rn trying to occupy my worried mind

How long is the lifespan of a uvb bulb? I have a reptisun 10.0 long bulb.

I’ve heard to change it out every six months but noticed the ends of it are dimming and slightly blackish. I’ve had it three months and am wondering if it’s time for a new one.

Thanks! Anxiously awaiting on news from the vet from his over night stay and all I wanna do is upgrade his home for when he’s ready to return from the hospital tub. Ordered some pothos and calcium without d3. Waiting to be able to afford a mistking! Might need new bulb or I might be manic and crazy rn trying to occupy my worried mind

I believe some forum members use this: https://www.amazon.com/Solarmeter-M...argid=aud-829758849484:pla-553059174948&psc=1

I myself do not have this and do mot measure UVI -- I replaced my bulbs every 6 months and in June switched to Arcadia which I will switch out in February -- unless I have managed to purchase a UV meter between now and then. My girl does not get much outside time so her UV needs to be on point.

How would I find a way to measure the output?

You need a solar meter 6.5, its $150-200. Not really worth it for 1 bulb and 1 cham. If its a T8, replace every 6 months, if its a T5 HO you can replace every year.

With my T5 HO i only have to replace every 24-36 months based on my readings.

Its a cham, its going to live for 5-6 years. Does it really matter if you use 10 bulbs or 5 bulbs at $15 a pop? Thats less than 1 vet visit for a routine checkup

I believe some forum members use this: https://www.amazon.com/Solarmeter-M...argid=aud-829758849484:pla-553059174948&psc=1

I myself do not have this and do mot measure UVI -- I replaced my bulbs every 6 months and in June switched to Arcadia which I will switch out in February -- unless I have managed to purchase a UV meter between now and then. My girl does not get much outside time so her UV needs to be on point.
Thank you, I’ll check this out, as well as an Arcadia bulb for the next change. I take Lou out every day/other day In the Texas sun.:)

You need a solar meter 6.5, its $150-200. Not really worth it for 1 bulb and 1 cham. If its a T8, replace every 6 months, if its a T5 HO you can replace every year.

With my T5 HO i only have to replace every 24-36 months based on my readings.

Its a cham, its going to live for 5-6 years. Does it really matter if you use 10 bulbs or 5 bulbs at $15 a pop? Thats less than 1 vet visit for a routine checkup
It matters to me that he’s getting the proper lighting needed, yes. No matter his life span I’d love him to live the longest and most comfortable he can. I’ve gone broke taking him to vet the last two weeks, but not thinking twice of it since I took this on and in my trust. ‍♀️

After using my decoder ring. You are using a reptisun 10.0 T5HO. You do not want the cham closer than 12" to that bulb. It is Very high power. When its time to replace, replace with a 5.0/6%.

If that's the case I am throwing money down the toilet.

And what if that particular bulb does go below 50% out put at 12-18 months, and you don know, and you still replace at 24-36 months because someone on the internet says it worked for them?

I know when my bulbs are bad, replacing every 12 months is insurance, just like D3 supplements is insurance.

After using my decoder ring. You are using a reptisun 10.0 T5HO. You do not want the cham closer than 12" to that bulb. It is Very high power. When its time to replace, replace with a 5.0/6%.
I’ll look into that can his normal enclosure is the biggest reptibreeze cage, but his basking spot is about 10” from the bulb.

It matters to me that he’s getting the proper lighting needed, yes. No matter his life span I’d love him to live the longest and most comfortable he can. I’ve gone broke taking him to vet the last two weeks, but not thinking twice of it since I took this on and in my trust. ‍♀

Thats how i judge all my purchases. If it saves me a potential vet visit, im buying it :)

I’ll look into that can his normal enclosure is the biggest reptibreeze cage, but his basking spot is about 10” from the bulb.

TO be at the top of the range that they can stand (3.0 UVI) you want the top of its head to be about 6" away from a 5.0/6%, and 12" away from a 10.0/12%. Then the cham can adjust from 3.0 down to 0.5 on its own by walking down the branch.

And what if that particular bulb does go below 50% out put at 12-18 months, and you don know, and you still replace at 24-36 months because someone on the internet says it worked for them?

I know when my bulbs are bad, replacing every 12 months is insurance, just like D3 supplements is insurance.

Oh I have no intention of going to a longer change cycle---but I do intend to keep chams long term and eventually have two so a solar meter is something I would consider investing in. I bought a bundle of arcadia 6% bulbs I'm chillin.

Back
Top Bottom