Lighting Help Please!!

linklance

Hey there. Im a long time reader, but this will be my first post. I will be welcoming a new young male veiled into my househould soon. I have everything in place and set up except for the lighting situation. After scouring these forums it seemed to me that the "Arcadia T5 D3 6%" would be the best way to go. My problem however is that the cage i have set up for the little guy is a 18"x18"x36"(He will be in a 2'x2'x4' when he is older). From what i managed to find arcadia's smallest bulbs are 18" and there smallest fixture being 20". Can anyone prove this to be false? I would like the fixture to be flush with the cage or even smaller would be fine. If there are in fact no smaller from arcadia could anyone reccomend the next best or similar option for me? My final question is regarding a basking light, is one neccisary for a juevinile veiled?. Basically im asking for a lighting setup with specific bulbs and fixtures, including a bulb for the plants. Lighting seems to be the only thing i cant figure out. Im kind of a perfectionist so i would like to have the best option available for my situation. Thanks!

Considering that he'll end up in his larger cage fairly soon (before your light is spent anyway) I would get the size you need for his ADULT cage. It won't hurt anything to suspend a larger fixture over his juvi cage (hang it? Suspend it from a temporary stand? Just lay it across the top of the cage frame?). Saves you some money and the lighting benefits will be good either way. I don't know of any UV emitting fluorescents smaller than 18" unless you go for a cf coiled bulb.

A small regular house incandescent bulb will work for a basking light. I don't know if the Arcadias alone emit enough heat...haven't used them yet. and I don't know your room temps.

Thank you carlton! Do you mind me asking what bulbs you do use?

I use linear ReptiSun 5.0 for UV along with an outdoor halogen porch spot for basking. For smaller montane chams I use a regular incandescent house lightbulb for basking. ReptiSuns work for herps and my bird aviary, I have the right fixtures, and I can sometimes find them locally (well, Anchorage anyway).

Back
Top Bottom