Little Red Worm in Drainage Water...

mschultz

When I was working on draining water from the water collecting container today I noticed a very thin, but long, red worm. I immediately thought parasite. But its not on poop, or around poop that falls in the water. It is aquatic and trying desperately to crawl to a wet spot. Its a very mobile little bugger. It is probably 3 cm long and 1mm thick. It moved about 20-30 centimeters in 5 minutes (trying to find water). It is the only one in the tank. See the picture I posted below.

My chameleon is eating normally, and acting normally. She does not appear sick. I feed her crickets mostly and last week I fed her silk worms as a treat. Very rarely do I feed her meal worms (its been about 2 weeks).

I will investigate her poop for more worms. But right now its seems to be the only one. She is supposedly wild caught. I am in Hawaii. But I got her in September. This is the first time I'm seeing any worms.

Any ideas on what it is?
Could it have been from the soil in my hibiscus plant?

Side note: As a science teacher I find this both gross and fascinating.

IMG_20151120_132650310.jpg

It looks like a bloodworm to me. The larvae of the non-biting midge. They are very common. Lots of people think they only occur in fully aquatic situations, but that's not the case. The larvae can actually be in moist soil or decomposing plant matter. So, being in Hawaii, I'm sure there is no shortage of moisture. So it could have come in within the soil of any plant that may be in your cage. If it is parasitic, I'm not familiar with any that have a segmented appearance like the one shown.

It looks like a bloodworm to me. The larvae of the non-biting midge. They are very common. Lots of people think they only occur in fully aquatic situations, but that's not the case. The larvae can actually be in moist soil or decomposing plant matter. So, being in Hawaii, I'm sure there is no shortage of moisture. So it could have come in within the soil of any plant that may be in your cage. If it is parasitic, I'm not familiar with any that have a segmented appearance like the one shown.

Good to know! And, ew...

Back
Top Bottom