live cannabis

GilaTequila

So I have been thinking of different plants for my veileds cage and I think cannabis is it! It grows strong and quickly. It can be trained to grow as a bush with lots of strong interconnecting branches plus will do well in the high light and temps.

The first two glaring issues would be legality and thc. I live in Colorado so a single plant here is nothing. Second, if they are kept under 12 hours of light they do not flower so will not produce noticeable amounts of thc or resin.

Any other issues any one can see? Is there some research that shows chams are sensitive to thc?

Thanks for any constructive feedback!

i remember a thread came up about 6 months ago and it said that they are poisonous to chameleons. veileds have been known to eat live plant so it could be a risk but it's up to you.

Cannabis flowers under 12 hr cycles it doesnt flower at 18hr light 6 hr darkness and all cannabis produce resine male or female at any time not just flowering

Even panthers will eat vegetation once in awhile. Veilds for sure. So when you say "sensitive" do you realize they may be injesting it and not just coming in contract with the plant. I think it is too much of a risk. There are so many other options to use that have been proven chameleon safe. Why even take a chance? And (its been many years) but doesn't it smell whether it flowers of not?

Not only will the chameleon likely eat some of the plant, but when they shed they rub their body, head, eyes etc on branches. Any oil or residue could cause problems. Its just not worth it when there are many safe plant options out there.

Here are some other threads

https://www.chameleonforums.com/cannabis-chams-59178/

https://www.chameleonforums.com/cannabis-sativa-plant-ok-veiled-chameleon-50810/

https://www.chameleonforums.com/interesting-safe-plant-question-42316/

https://www.chameleonforums.com/r-i-p-amy-94777/

Answer seems to always be no

You should not use it. That stuff gets way to sticky about 2 and a half months in to growth. It would be all over the chams feet and all over him just from walking around on it. You could however grow one dry it out on the branches and take all the "stuff" off when dry and use the tree. It will dry out quicker if you take it off the branches because the branch will retain water and feed the leaves till it is completely dry. The tree would be ok to use just bake it! You guys in CO are getting a little to crazy with that!

I wonder if the Texas Star Hibiscus would be ok? It's got pot-looking leaves and pretty flowers to boot :p

I remember reading another thread where the conclusion was that the sticky oils of the plant would be a great concern as a skin/eye irritant. For that reason alone I would not try it (my cham has an eye problem and it's not fun for everyone involved).

Regarding the thc levels, you state the plant would not produce "noticeable" levels of thc, but what you are not considering is the much smaller size of your cham in relation to yourself. A very small amount might not have an effect on humans, but could affect an animal with a much smaller body mass. Further, the chameleon metabolism is very different from human metabolism and there is really no way to know how even a small amount of thc might be processed in their bodies affect them.

U guys are right. I should have used search function more lol. I am not used to animal forums that have so many people and so much info. I also see the eye issue. I was trimming buds for a buddy one time and rubbed my eye when it was covered in resin and it does burn. Can't imagine how bad it would be if I were tiny and my eyes stuck out from the side of my head to rub on everything. Thanks for the answers and again sorry for not running search first. I like the idea of using dried branch's though. They have great branch structure.

Okay,

First of all Cannabis is covered in tiny trichomes. The main function of the trichomes other then getting you high is actually a natural defensive mechanism. The trichomes are sticky and are highly irritable to the skin.

DO NOT use cannabis in a cham enclosure. There are literally thousands of better options.

Also that being said, you did the right thing by asking. If you like the look of the plant and the inter-connected branches try a japanese maple (I do not know the toxicity of it towards chams though):
kotohime.jpeg

That's a good idea too. They are one of my favorite trees. I used to have bonsai Japanese maple when I lived in my apartment. I had it on the porch to over winter it and some actually stole it. It was just a stick in a small pot at that point.

The biggest problem I see with that is I believe they have to have to go through the seasons in order to continue living. Not 100-% on that one but I will look into it.

It all depends on what type of cannibis you can get your hands on certin strains were there is no oil secrition u can also break it at the bottom and the first node and no chems will go up the rest of the plant u guys dont know wat your talking about and cannibis is far from poisines to any animal people assume that because what it does once its dried out witch thc and chemicals in the plant arnt active until the dry out so putting the stems as one suggested will prob get them high but still no danger its completly possably for them to be around these plants if its done correct

It all depends on what type of cannibis you can get your hands on certin strains were there is no oil secrition u can also break it at the bottom and the first node and no chems will go up the rest of the plant u guys dont know wat your talking about and cannibis is far from poisines to any animal people assume that because what it does once its dried out witch thc and chemicals in the plant arnt active until the dry out so putting the stems as one suggested will prob get them high but still no danger its completly possably for them to be around these plants if its done correct

Dry stems wont get anything high and if your cannibis is not secreting anything then it's safe to say it's not cannibis. I can see Chams arent the only thing your new to! :cool:

As much as I love the canabis plant I would say no for the main reason of shedding if they do rub up against is and the resin gets in eye or something could cause problems I just fill my buddies cage with a big cloud of smoke ;)

Twice now I've seen you displeased with senior, experienced members advice. I think it's you who doesn't know what they're talking about.
If you believe the experienced members here really don't know what they're talking about, maybe try somewhere else, that pleases you more.
I wouldn't want you to leave, don't get me wrong, I just believe you need to be a bit more respectful. IMO.
Kath.

> Pot Primer > What is hash?

WHAT IS HASH?
Hash, or hashish, is the product of
collecting the resin stalks, trichomes, or
THC, from cannabis plants. This classic
form is commonly collected by growers
when they handle the mature plants. The
resinous trichomes of the plant rub off on
their hands, thus creating the common
terminology for it: rub. In some areas it's
referred to as finger or scissor hash. When
the plants are trimmed after curing, they
also trickle down trichomes. Growers tend
to trim over a silk screen, and the sieved
product is what's commonly referred to as
kief. It's also collected in grinders with
screens inside, though without a filter
through a proper silk screen, it's not truly
a hash.

Pretty much you have no clue what you are talking about

I like how experienced everyone is with cannabis and its cultivation ;)

Who knew chameleon owners, eh?

Your all probably on rollitup.org too!

So I have been thinking of different plants for my veileds cage and I think cannabis is it! It grows strong and quickly. It can be trained to grow as a bush with lots of strong interconnecting branches plus will do well in the high light and temps.

The first two glaring issues would be legality and thc. I live in Colorado so a single plant here is nothing. Second, if they are kept under 12 hours of light they do not flower so will not produce noticeable amounts of thc or resin.

Any other issues any one can see? Is there some research that shows chams are sensitive to thc?

Thanks for any constructive feedback!
I would like to know if using a dried dead marijuana plant for its branches would be ok?

Back
Top Bottom