My baby veiled chameleon fell bout 8 inches yesterday, I'm worried!!

Pablo died sometime last night...... it appears that he was suffering either from a tumor in his head or internal problems due to the breeder the pet store got him from inbreeds all of their chams and he was born with a defect... he had been lethargic the last several days, still eating and drinking but sleeping alot and walking around with both his eyes closed. the reptile vet thats been helping us said when his eye started closing that if the other eye did the same thing he might have a tumor. yesterday he started keeping both closed and sleeping all day... this morning when we went to uncover his tank and turn his lights on we found him dead on the bottom of his tank.... it was very unexpected and tragic. im heartbroken that he is gone and looking up at his empty dark tank is horrific. we did everything we were supposed to do but he started going downhill after his shed, the reptile vet says this is from him growing and the defect taking more of a toll on him... i cant believe that little Pablo is gone...

So sorry to hear this :(. You get attached so quickly and sometimes they are gone too fast. Sometimes you can do everything right and it still isn't enough. RIP Pablo.

yes we loved him very much, he was a beloved member of our family and we will never forget the joy he brought us...
some day i will put that love into another cham, when im ready. i wont turn away from them because of my loss. for now i will mourn the loss of this beloved baby and comfort myself knowing that i made his remaining days good and full. im so glad that i brought him home to be loved and that he didnt die alone in a tank in a pet store, but surrounded by people who adored and loved him to the very end...

for now i will mourn the loss of this beloved baby and comfort myself knowing that i made his remaining days good and full. im so glad that i brought him home to be loved and that he didnt die alone in a tank in a pet store, but surrounded by people who adored and loved him to the very end...

I'm saddened to hear that Pablo has passed away and know how sad you feel:(

It's good that you are able to recognize that you gave him a good quality of life .
May your heart mend soon.

well ive been doing lots of research on different types of chameleons, trying to figure out what kind of baby to get when were ready.. my mom and i are thinking either a veiled or a panther. any kind of info or thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated everyone! we want to get a new baby soon and i searching for a really good breeder that is dependable and doesnt inbreed their chams

I must have missed this thread........Sorry for your loss. For your new cham get whichever you would prefer to look at. Any of the site sponsors would be great to buy from.
I already posted my favourite caresheet for Veileds so you've got that on page one :)

yeah its really sad, that little guy had stolen our hearts for sure. he was the first reptile ive lost and its very difficult.
im not gonna give up tho, i know that the setup i have is good and we were doing the right things, so i wanna give that love and good home to another baby soon!
ive heard that the site sponsors are great breeders so im going to look into that, thank you. my local reptile rescue lady is also looking for good breeders and said alot of the well known good breeders are sponsors of this site so that made me happy.

ive heard that the site sponsors are great breeders so im going to look into that, thank you. my local reptile rescue lady is also looking for good breeders and said alot of the well known good breeders are sponsors of this site so that made me happy.

I think we are allowed to advertise site sponsors on here :) I've heard that your local reptile lady is well-informed........this is the best site for everything chameleon :)

yes shes awesome! has a lot of experience in all kinds of reptiles.
do you know how i would get into contact with the site sponsors? :)

Look in the top right hand corner of your screen. Adverts pop up for feeders and chameleons. Open a new window to get a new ad :)

I'm gonna be ordering a new baby veiled within the next couple days so im researching (again!) and seem to be finding alot of people here on the forum talking bout UVB bulbs possibly being harmful to baby veileds if you dont get the right one. i currently have a zoo med reptisun 10.0 UVB mini compact flurescent 13w AC120v / 60Hz. it has 2 coils. any thoughts on if i should get a different one before i get my new baby would be sooooo appreciated, i dont want to use one thats gonna harm him!!!!

I don't know if i said it before but I was saddened to learn of Pablo's passing.:(

When you are asking a new question, you usually get more answers by starting a new thread.

The usual recommendation is to use a Reptisun 5.0.
Baby chams, like baby people, are more sensitive to everything.
My thinking is to not go looking for trouble and to use what is known to not be harmful.
Just be sure to get everything cleaned and set up before your new baby veiled arrives.

Here is some great veiled care info in 2 parts
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/chameleonsinmyhouse/395-veiled-chameleon-care-sheet.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...e/396-veiled-chameleon-care-sheet-part-2.html

yeah its been really sad without little pablo.. didnt have him for long but loved him lots..
ive been looking into the breeders that are sponsors for the site and have found one i think ill be ordering a baby veiled from within the next couple weeks.. everyone here on the forum ive talked to about it says not to give up on having chams so were gonna be trying again!!
i started a new thread titled 'UVB bulb?' but i figured id post on here too to try to get as many opinions as i can about the bulb cuz every bit helps!!
thanks for the advice! i will certainly get the 5.0 the next week so everythings set up and cleaned before we bring the new baby home

Babies like things a bit different than adults, so please read the things about babies in the links I posted earlier.

You should be getting a healthier cham from a forum sponsor or member who breeds them than poor Pablo was.

i read em and saved them on my computer for reference :) yup pablo was 2 months old when we got him and the poor guy was lucky to have gotten as much time as he did being ill from the start.. we're going to be very cautious with this new baby. the baby were getting is from a clutch that hatched three months ago and from a really good breeder thats a sponsor so im feeling good about it! ive read and heard alot of good things about the sponsors and their breeding skills

Back
Top Bottom