My Chameleon Room Redesigned

Olimpia did you do anything to waterproof the shelves of these units from Lowe's?? I am really thinking about these for my "new" room :D

Olimpia did you do anything to waterproof the shelves of these units from Lowe's?? I am really thinking about these for my "new" room :D

Not really, and in hindsight I feel like I should have wrapped them tightly in waterproof plastic of PVC shower liner and stapled it in place. But I haven't had any water leak and cause a problem yet, which I am thankful for. The good thing is that the shelf handles a little big of water well (if I miss with the misting nozzle or whatnot) it won't swell the wood or anything like that. So whatever coating it has does a good job on handling a little water. But if I would recommend making sure you do something to protect it better, just so it can last you longer.

While I'm at it, here's an update photo of the big 4 cages and their plants. I've been adding one or two branches every weekend almost, and some plants have grown in really nicely - the pothos in the cage at far left is on roids! I added one more plant to three of the cages, and these are also growing in nicely.

newreptileroom.jpg

Not really, and in hindsight I feel like I should have wrapped them tightly in waterproof plastic of PVC shower liner and stapled it in place. But I haven't had any water leak and cause a problem yet, which I am thankful for. The good thing is that the shelf handles a little big of water well (if I miss with the misting nozzle or whatnot) it won't swell the wood or anything like that. So whatever coating it has does a good job on handling a little water. But if I would recommend making sure you do something to protect it better, just so it can last you longer.

Thanks Olimpia! I was thinking of different ways to seal them and one thing I was thinking of was just sealing all the edges with silicon. If the top coating keeps out water pretty well that might be the trick. Like you said wrapping the shelves with plastic might be a good option as well.

Your cages are looking AWESOME btw :D

Totally awesome!!! You've done a very special thing here. I know you appreciate the ease of taking care of your chams and I'd bet they are totally happy. Beautiful set-ups. Thank you for sharing.

I was really impressed the other day when I came across a photo of this cage when I first set it up because right now the pothos has completely taken over. Seriously, don't bother spending the extra money on a giant pothos - some water and light and they will grow like wildfire.

This is the cage only about 2.5 months later.

daedaluscagetimeprogres.jpg

Yeah your setup really makes me question the need for any plant other than 5.00 pothos from walmart!

You cant even see that one bromalade still in there!

I am fixing to setup another 2x2x4, I may follow your setup this time and forgo the umbrella and bamboo and just do pothos and branches

Yeah your setup really makes me question the need for any plant other than 5.00 pothos from walmart!

You cant even see that one bromalade still in there!

I am fixing to setup another 2x2x4, I may follow your setup this time and forgo the umbrella and bamboo and just do pothos and branches

Yea really! lol I love other plants but at the end of the year I've spent so much replacing the ficuses because they've lost their leaves, or the umbrella plants have died from soil too wet... but the pothos is still there! So I think I'm going to stick to this cheap and easy plant.

Nice setup I have one question... what do you have on the bottom of the cage floor? It looks like just a Piece of wood.

Nice setup I have one question... what do you have on the bottom of the cage floor? It looks like just a Piece of wood.

What do you mean? The cages sit on cut pieces of those 1.5" x 2" x 2' wood bars they sell at home improvement stores, so the cages sit off of the table. It just helps with drainage.

I have my veiled in a wood custom enclosure with fiberglas screen with black plastic on the inside... My cage looks like a little kid-cham playhouse compared to those...

LMAO yeah tell me about it, when I have some good money I will definitely make a huge enclosure for my baby :) I will blow this out of the water hopefully :) it will be a few years though.. lol:D way too cool of an enclosure though

Thanks everyone! I actually needed to do the easiest but most cost-effective thing I could and this was the result. I have tried building my own cages, but the money and time I put into it for a half-assed result is not worth it in the long-run. So I got a few cages from LLLReptile when they were (maybe still are?) running a special on them, these $90 shelving units from Lowe's, and the rest was much cheaper. The branches were free (just a little gas money to get to the place where I cut them from) and the plants were either $3 or $10, so I didn't spend a fortune.

I'm sure people with the stills and resources to do a custom cage build properly will end up with much nicer results, I've certainly seen a few on here!

Back
Top Bottom