New Baby Chameleon? Help please

Sure. If you can find other bugs like stick bugs try breeding those too! Or if you can find a pet store that sells cockroaches breed those as well.

I'll try to find a store that sells mealworms I guess they are fine too..or crickets if i can find, i think its hard to attract 2 adult crickets to start breeding, if stores doesnt sell them..or if you got and idea to attract just some adults or something?
I'll breed them, I don't think I can release the cham in this stupid weather, it won't survive..
I'm keeping it in home tho, warm weather and lots of branches in its aquarium,
so if I raised mealworms/crickets what size should i feed the cham? the cham is still a baby lol, and how many per day?

thanks.

oh and i think mealworms are much easier to raise than crickets because they don't get away, this is a problem if one of them got away..

Mealworms can cause your chameleon to become impacted. That's when there is a blockage in his intensines and he can't poop and can die. Mealworms should be given one or twice a month at the most. Mealworms also take about 3-4 months to breed.

Try to buy crickets as you're essentially killing your chameleon by not feeding him. You can give him crickets that are no bigger than the space between his eyes. It can be longer though. Breeding crickets only takes a couple weeks.

Try going outside where it is pesticide free and gather some earth worms and small snails. Bring them home and feed them veggies for a day or two and feed them to the chameleon. Cut the worms up if you need to. You need to find a place to buy crickets from or release the chameleon back where you found him or you might kill him.

Mealworms can cause your chameleon to become impacted. That's when there is a blockage in his intensines and he can't poop and can die. Mealworms should be given one or twice a month at the most. Mealworms also take about 3-4 months to breed.

Try to buy crickets as you're essentially killing your chameleon by not feeding him. You can give him crickets that are no bigger than the space between his eyes. It can be longer though. Breeding crickets only takes a couple weeks.

Try going outside where it is pesticide free and gather some earth worms and small snails. Bring them home and feed them veggies for a day or two and feed them to the chameleon. Cut the worms up if you need to. You need to find a place to buy crickets from or release the chameleon back where you found him or you might kill him.

Okay, some questions..
I won't feed him mealworms then, but can I breed earthworms? are they healthy for him? I guess I can find them in this time of the year and breed them for the rest..
if not...crickets..tell me if u have an idea to catch some crickets or where to find and i'll learn to breed them, i just need a source for the first few insects to breed thats my problem..

If I never found food (I'm currently finding some flies) I will release him of course I don't want him to die, but why should I release him where he was not somewhere else? I have a big garden that noone takes care of it in front of the house with alot of different kinds of trees..

thank you very much

Go to a pet store or order them. I would not use earth worms too often, I was just suggesting them since you could not find food. You should not release him in your garden unless you know all those trees and plants are non toxic to him and that all the bugs it's attracts are non toxic and that it is 100% pesticide free.

could u not order some off the internet to be delivered to u?
Tried but failed.

Go to a pet store or order them. I would not use earth worms too often, I was just suggesting them since you could not find food. You should not release him in your garden unless you know all those trees and plants are non toxic to him and that all the bugs it's attracts are non toxic and that it is 100% pesticide free.
I'm sure that the garden isn't toxic, because noone takes care of it or spray it anything but water..

BUT WAIT A SECOND :)
Sorry once you said a cricket I thought its that ugly bug that
I saw when I googled it..

But I googled it today I found another results I don't know why..
Is the cricket this jumping insects with long legs you are talking about:

http://www.dragoart.com/tuts/pics/9/2134/9293/how-to-draw-a-cricket-insect-step-6.jpg

Or the damn ugly insect(another kind of crickets):
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...insect&hl=en&rlz=1C1GGLS_en___IL355&sa=N&um=1

If it's the first one I'm very lucky.
When I was looking for flies around the garden our neighbor told me that they have loads of crickets on the roof :) that looked like the first image tho, not the other kind..

I can get them allllllllllll and breed them easily :) Thank you very muchhhhhhhhhhhh

I'll wait your reply, Is the cricket you are talking about the first or the second image? :)

THANKS!!

Both are fine. He already knows to pull the food out at night, so either is fine. Sometimes brown crickets turn black if they don't have enough water.

Go ahead and breed those, but don't feed him the ones you find! Only feed him the babies. Also, how do you know all the plants in your garden are non toxic? Some plants are poisonous...

lol they are both crickets the biege looking ones are better as the black ones will bite ur cameleon in there sleep! by the looks of it the bbottom one is black and the top would be the biege
http://images.ask.com/fr?q=crickets...e%3D1%26o%3D13177%26l%3Ddis%26pstart%3D0&qt=0 like this?
Good, I hate those black ones.
And what do you mean they will bite at night? I don't keep the chameleon with the food..I feed him at random times I put what I can catch, I don't keep the food all time with him o.o
Is this good or I should change this idea?

Both are fine. He already knows to pull the food out at night, so either is fine. Sometimes brown crickets turn black if they don't have enough water.

Go ahead and breed those, but don't feed him the ones you find! Only feed him the babies. Also, how do you know all the plants in your garden are non toxic? Some plants are poisonous...
Well I'm not sure that they aren't, But anyway I guess I found food source, but can they be poisoned if noone sprays them this plant sprayers to grow faster and such things..?
I mean all the plants give healthy fruits that I eat from it once per year, depends what kind..anyway..

I watched a few youtube videos about breeding, I read a comment said some of them get out of the box and spread in the house if I breed them? Is this true? o.o

How the hell can I open their cage/box..they will jump in 1 second o_O

And how many should I feed him per day?

Use a very tall plastic box. They can climb cardboard. Feed him only the crickets babies. He can eat ten to twelve a day. Make sure to feed the crickets veggies like kale, collard greens, and oranges before you feed them to him.

If you use a tall plastic box they won't get out :) no worries there. If one gets out, smoosh it.

Yes, plants can be poisonous even without pesticides. Like poison ivy. There are many plants that chameleons can not be placed in/on because they eat plants, and the bugs they eat eat the plants. The food you feed him is only as good as what they eat, so if they eat poisonous plants... Not good.

Take the food out at night if he doesn't eat them.

Use a very tall plastic box. They can climb cardboard. Feed him only the crickets babies. He can eat ten to twelve a day. Make sure to feed the crickets veggies like kale, collard greens, and oranges before you feed them to him.

If you use a tall plastic box they won't get out :) no worries there. If one gets out, smoosh it.

Yes, plants can be poisonous even without pesticides. Like poison ivy. There are many plants that chameleons can not be placed in/on because they eat plants, and the bugs they eat eat the plants. The food you feed him is only as good as what they eat, so if they eat poisonous plants... Not good.

Take the food out at night if he doesn't eat them.
Umm..10-12 small crickets? the cham is still as tall as my pinky, very small to eat 10 I guess?

Um how tall should the plastic box be? I saw some crickets jumping really high like 1/1.5 meters or something..with taller box its harder to put fruit in i guess..

um, can i feed them carrots instead of veggies? I mean I didn't understand what veggies you mentioned..

The veggies I said are high in calcium and would be best to feed in addition to carrots. Ask your parents or look them up.

Babies need to eat a lot he should be eating ten or so 1/4 inch crickets a day. If you haven't heed feeding him that much you are starving him. In fact, he would probably eat 30 if you let him, but it's not good for him to eat so many. Ten is a good number.

Crickets usually don't jump out of things taller than 0.3-0.5 meters. A plastic storage container should be good.

Hello guys,
I have found a baby chameleon, and bought a small aquarium for it, and put some leaves and small branches for it.

The problem is feeding it! Please help me I went to a pet store, they have no chameleon food, and I can't catch insects for it, and can't catch enough even..

Note: It looks EXACTLY like this (I mean exactly same legs same head same everything)

BUT in this image it looks too long but its only ABOUT 1 inch (without tail) maybe longer.

so heres the image

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42104000/jpg/_42104244_chameleon_gi416.jpg

Any idea what/how can I feed it? Please quick I'm afraid it dies or gets sick..
And any ideas how to let it drink water too?

go online get 1/4 inch crickets now get a medicine dropper and if he doesnt open his mouth to drink try to slowly open his mouth and put a drop in he will recognise it as water and probably accept it gracefully . thats the first thing i wouild try. also try fruit flies buy them online. oops i didnt see all the posts you have probably already heard this .

go online get 1/4 inch crickets now get a medicine dropper and if he doesnt open his mouth to drink try to slowly open his mouth and put a drop in he will recognise it as water and probably accept it gracefully . thats the first thing i wouild try. also try fruit flies buy them online. oops i didnt see all the posts you have probably already heard this .
He is drinking from a dripping system that I made, thank you anyways :)

The veggies I said are high in calcium and would be best to feed in addition to carrots. Ask your parents or look them up.

Babies need to eat a lot he should be eating ten or so 1/4 inch crickets a day. If you haven't heed feeding him that much you are starving him. In fact, he would probably eat 30 if you let him, but it's not good for him to eat so many. Ten is a good number.

Crickets usually don't jump out of things taller than 0.3-0.5 meters. A plastic storage container should be good.
Okay I'll find out what are those veggies you've mentioned, if they're healthy to him, thank you again.
Thank's for all the info, I'll post anything new!

I would suggest looking further into the possibility of ordering insects off the internet. Unless there are very strict laws about moving insects about where you live, I'd be surprised if you can't find something. Maybe try to find a reptile forum which is more locally based to you and you will be able to find out about exotic pet shops or mail order possibilities there.

Good luck with this idea and it appears you are doing well at taking advice and persevering with the care needs of this chameleon.

Clarification

on the first page of this thread people misread my response. I did not mean beans. The originator of this thread was confused and tried to feed it beans!:D nor did I mean bean weevils aka bean beetles. I meant bean or pea APHIDS. These are very fast breeding and eat only bean or pea sprouts and plants. They do not infest your house plants nor do they eat the beans. They also do not leave the sticky secretions that attract ants.

Digby Rigby

I keep my crickets in a plastic ziplock bag. I only ever have about 20 in a bag at a time though. I then pour a tiny bit of calcium powder in the bag and lightly turn the bag a few times to get the crickets in it. In order to give them to my chams, I open about 2-3 inches of the bag and slowly pour them into my cham's cages. This method works easily for me, and crickets rarely get out.

The rest of the crickets need to be kept in a plastic container, that needs to be cleaned frequently (every day or two, depending on how many you have and how big the container is) and they need to be given fresh veggies and fruit to munch on. It's important that the crickets (or whatever other bugs you're raising) get nutritional food because your chameleon is then going to eat them and will need those nutrients.

Also, you can feed your chameleon fresh and cleaned veggies and fruit. Not every chameleon will eat it though, and some take a while to even try it. If you can find dandelion greens, almost any cham will eat those. You can also try arugula, romaine, or mustard greens. Most importantly, make sure all veggies and fruit are organically grown, and do not feed your chameleon or it's insects spinach, broccoli, or tomatoes.

Back
Top Bottom