New chameleon owner I rescued him in bad shape HELP ME!

That looks so good! When I got my guy he had the double dome fixture as well. Now that I have the correct UVB, I keep one bulb in the double dome for heat and the extra one I put a plant bulb in. It’s not as good as the bar style plant lights, but it works! Something to keep in mind when you get the UVB.

I also want to add that you are doing great. It’s a lot of info to take in and digest at once. I was overwhelmed when I first started to rehab my Cham. Keep doing what you’re doing, one step at a time, and keep asking questions. ❤️

Hello so read online chameleons can/spread diseases and parasites to humans and other animals????? Do I need to be concerned? The enclosure is in my oldest sons room. He here 50/50 since i share custody with his dad so its the chillest spot in the house and I also can close the door to give him peace. So should I be worried about my sons health?

Hello so read online chameleons can/spread diseases and parasites to humans and other animals????? Do I need to be concerned? The enclosure is in my oldest sons room. He here 50/50 since i share custody with his dad so its the chillest spot in the house and I also can close the door to give him peace. So should I be worried about my sons health?
No worries. I think it’s salmonella that one can catch if you come in contact with their poo and don’t wash your hands. So, wash your hands after handling and cleaning the enclosure and all will be fine.

This is a worst case scenario situation... is anyone aware of any reptile recues in ohio? Im worried Thursdays vet bill is going to be more then i can handle. And i want to make sure he has a safe place to land if im unable to handle this. The original person who said he would take him. after speaking to you all i now know he also knows nothing about chameleons and hell end up in the same situation as i got him from.

I understand all too well about vet bills. How is his vent or butt looking now? Can you post a current pic of it? Has he pooped lately? Is he still keeping his eyes closed?
so his vent still looks the same. I didn’t try to squeeze anything out as helpful as that video was. I’m scared to try to do it on my own because I don’t have enough knowledge I don’t feel comfortable to do that and I don’t really have help. It looks like I might need an extra pair of hands to do it, I was going to have the vet do it or help me or guide me through it so if it happens again, I know what to do . his eyes are still closed. The right eye. He wasn’t opening it all is like a little slit, like he’s attempting to open them but both eyes looks like there’s something in there. I think he has old shed in there. so like he attempts to open his eyes, but he can’t see. And it’s affecting him eating him moving around like he looks like a blind man walking around in his little pin and I tried to make it as easy as possible for him.. this morning. He was perched at the very bottom of his cage like on one of the rocks. I thought something was wrong so I went to like help him get up back to the top because I am torn between him failing from not being able to see or failing healthwise or both. when I went to get him to grab a branch, he was extremely feisty and hissy and snappy .I took that as a good sign and helped him by getting him on branch and guided him. I just think he can’t see the vines in the branches. I have down there to get back up there. It’s the only time he’s done it.

so his vent still looks the same. I didn’t try to squeeze anything out as helpful as that video was. I’m scared to try to do it on my own because I don’t have enough knowledge I don’t feel comfortable to do that and I don’t really have help. It looks like I might need an extra pair of hands to do it, I was going to have the vet do it or help me or guide me through it so if it happens again, I know what to do . his eyes are still closed. The right eye. He wasn’t opening it all is like a little slit, like he’s attempting to open them but both eyes looks like there’s something in there. I think he has old shed in there. so like he attempts to open his eyes, but he can’t see. And it’s affecting him eating him moving around like he looks like a blind man walking around in his little pin and I tried to make it as easy as possible for him.. this morning. He was perched at the very bottom of his cage like on one of the rocks. I thought something was wrong so I went to like help him get up back to the top because I am torn between him failing from not being able to see or failing healthwise or both. when I went to get him to grab a branch, he was extremely feisty and hissy and snappy .I took that as a good sign and helped him by getting him on branch and guided him. I just think he can’t see the vines in the branches. I have down there to get back up there. It’s the only time he’s done it.
I think he pooped a little, but it looked white and no other color. I did manage to get some bug juice in him today when I made him angry because I was worried he was dehydrated, even though I’ve been spraying twice a day and have a humidifier at night.. I aimed for the blue. He bit down on the syringe, no needle tip, of course, and took me a second to get it out. I waited for him to relax. So again seems strong.

Hello and thank you for trying to save this poor fellow. You said you ordered carnivore care from Amazon. Ask the vet for a couple of feeder syringes for it. It’s a syringe with a rubber tube on the end cut at a slant so you can work it between clenched jaws. Here’s a pic of one. Mix a small amount cause you toss the rest and give two syringe full a day

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1
Hello and thank you for trying to save this poor fellow. You said you ordered carnivore care from Amazon. Ask the vet for a couple of feeder syringes for it. It’s a syringe with a rubber tube on the end cut at a slant so you can work it between clenched jaws. Here’s a pic of one. Mix a small amount cause you toss the rest and give two syringe full a day
That looks way easier than the one I am using, and I did just get a cricket in him and he swallowed it. It was lightly dusted. And again he’s acting extra feisty and his colors a lot greener today than it was yesterday and I also did change his pin yesterday so hopefully he was just angry and still heading in the right direction.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 1
Hello me again. lol So once again reading online here lol what's everyone's take in a bioactive tank? Also is wire mesh vs glass enclosures? Ive been looking at tanks online. Fantasizing of him being better and me being able to give him a huge enclosure when hes healed and healhty. That's more important. I see chameleons in both glass and mesh.
I found one on FB market its already sold but it looked like a huge china cabinet. it was beautiful very tall like could put a small tree in it. They had glass the bottom and mesh wire at the top on the sides. Gave me an idea. I do restore furniture as a side hustle when i have the time and resources. People quite literally give these cabinets away cause they are heavy big and unwilling to deal with them. I was thinking about turning one into and enclosure SOMEDAY. I see a lot of people building their own enclosures in reality a simple one is pretty basic and easy to make. I've had custom fish tanks before for bettas. just wanted to know thoughts or if anyone else has created their own enclosures.

I love bioactive and have almost all of my critters with bioactive set ups. This is a really nice blog to guide one thru. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/intro-to-bio-activity.2429/
I have all screened enclosures for my chameleons and it is my preference and what is best for my location. Someone who is in a very dry area would do best with glass, but they don’t make glass enclosures large enough for a chameleon. There are hybrids, which are a good choice for most people. https://dragonstrand.com/ and https://tamura-designs.com/
To contain the substrate in my screened enclosures, I use root pouches which have been a perfect solution for me. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Root-Po..._-306677187-_-0-_-n/a-_-n/a-_-n/a-_-n/a-_-n/a
There have been several members who have modified old China or curio cabinets and they look great. You’ll have to search the forum to find the build threads for inspiration.

Since you are going to upgrade the cage eventually, get a 24” reptisun uvb T8 5.0. They have a hood and bulb combo pack that works pretty well also Bend a Branch on Amazon is great for creating a climbing gym. Get medium and large. They are inexpensive. You can cover the back wall and one side wall with vinyl on the outside which helps with the humidity and water containment when you hand spray. Welcome to the wonderful world of chameleons. The universe provided and you are going to be amazed at what you learn.

Struggling with live crickets 😩any advise???? lol they are so jumpy! It’s terrifying! lol the one I gave him yesterday was alive, but it wasn’t as much of a fighter as the one I tried to do today we were unsuccessful and then it jumped at me

Struggling with live crickets 😩any advise???? lol they are so jumpy! It’s terrifying! lol the one I gave him yesterday was alive, but it wasn’t as much of a fighter as the one I tried to do today we were unsuccessful and then it jumped at me
I use tongs and tall deli cups…with lids. If you give them a toilet paper roll, then to grab some, just grab the roll and shake it into your deli cup.

I use tongs and tall deli cups…with lids. If you give them a toilet paper roll, then to grab some, just grab the roll and shake it into your deli cup.
I have the black tubes for them to crawl into but since he cant see he depends on me to pop it in his mouth lol do they need to be alive alive can they be dazed or "dying" till he can eat on his own? the one today kept grabbing his face he was so mad at me lol

Back
Top Bottom