New chameleon, unsure of age and gender!

Looks like you bought the right UVB> Now this should sit on the screen top and you want a distance of 8-9 inches down to her closest branches. This is important for correct UVI>

Go to home depot or lowes and see if they have some of the Veiled tested plants you can buy. They have a lot this time of year in the indoor nursery.

Start reading this it will help you a lot and ask questions here. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Plastic solo cup and poke tiny sewing needle size holes in the bottom. Get ice cubes and fill it up put on the top screen away from the light fixtures so it will be above plants so it will slow drip onto the plants. This will trigger a drinking response.

NOTE with her being so small and sick. I would not go up to a 2x2x4ft enclosure right now. I do not know what size you bought but it will be easier to control her environment with a small set up right now. Less space for her to try to navigate especially with her closing the eyes.
I made sure the branches were at correct height. I also put a live monestra in there. Going to get more Cham safe plants very soon. I also put the ice cubes in the solo cup like you had said. We made a feed runner for the crickets and it’s now in the enclosure with the plant. I misted the plant leaves a little also. I’ve done everything everyone has said pretty much so I’m just waiting now. Trying to stay hopeful

I made sure the branches were at correct height. I also put a live monestra in there. Going to get more Cham safe plants very soon. I also put the ice cubes in the solo cup like you had said. We made a feed runner for the crickets and it’s now in the enclosure with the plant. I misted the plant leaves a little also. I’ve done everything everyone has said pretty much so I’m just waiting now. Trying to stay hopeful

Update: she ate two crickets a few mins ago! She also drank a decent bit of water. That’s definitely a start! Thank you to everyone who has helped me. I’m so grateful😁
Good to hear. Post a picture of the set up from the lighting down so I can see everything.

Good to hear. Post a picture of the set up from the lighting down so I can see everything.
Should I still move the heat lamp up off the screen incase she crawls on the top of the enclosure? I know someone had mentioned it. That’s the only thing I didn’t do. I’m also going to take the rest of the fake plants out and put more live ones in. I have some natural wood to put in there too. She loves the Monestra I put in there. Lmk if there is any concerns you have😁

Attachments

• IMG_9828.jpeg
    IMG_9828.jpeg
    223.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9829.jpeg
    IMG_9829.jpeg
    244.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9824.jpeg
    IMG_9824.jpeg
    219.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9822.jpeg
    IMG_9822.jpeg
    200.7 KB · Views: 7
Should I still move the heat lamp up off the screen incase she crawls on the top of the enclosure? I know someone had mentioned it. That’s the only thing I didn’t do. I’m also going to take the rest of the fake plants out and put more live ones in. I have some natural wood to put in there too. She loves the Monestra I put in there. Lmk if there is any concerns you have😁
I do raise up basking fixtures for babies that climb. Exo terra makes a lamp hanger you can use and I just drill the plate into the frame. Gets it up about 4 inches.

UVB needs to pull forward to the middle of the cage. Measure directly below it should be no farther than 8-9 inches from the screen to the vines directly below it.

You can use things floral wire to attach vines to the side of the cage but the sharps of it need to be on the outside of the cage screen. I would add some more of those vines you got.

For the plant if you have an empty pot flip it upside down on the bottom of the cage then you can put the plant on that pot to raise it up higher in the cage.
Make sure you have fake vines that go right up to where the feeder run is so she can get to them easily.

Looking better. Do these things then try not to mess with anything in the cage for the next week for her to mellow out.

I do raise up basking fixtures for babies that climb. Exo terra makes a lamp hanger you can use and I just drill the plate into the frame. Gets it up about 4 inches.

UVB needs to pull forward to the middle of the cage. Measure directly below it should be no farther than 8-9 inches from the screen to the vines directly below it.

You can use things floral wire to attach vines to the side of the cage but the sharps of it need to be on the outside of the cage screen. I would add some more of those vines you got.

For the plant if you have an empty pot flip it upside down on the bottom of the cage then you can put the plant on that pot to raise it up higher in the cage.
Make sure you have fake vines that go right up to where the feeder run is so she can get to them easily.

Looking better. Do these things then try not to mess with anything in the cage for the next week for her to mellow out.
Okay thank you for your help!

Looking good! She looks much better too. Fluker Farmd make bend a branch vines that are Cham tested 😁 you can get them on Amazon too. I suggest the small and medium sizes. Once you give her a bigger build you can add large ones also order zip ties while you are at it. Get the variety of sizes. I cut off the excess and melt the edge a bit so there is nothing sharp. I started off with getting a fogger but after a couple of RIs respiratory infections I stopped using it so I would go with a misting system instead. But if you mist the plants real well at bedtime, that will bring the humidity up at night. Also a lot of us tape down vinyl to two sides, the back and the side where the cords go down this helps with humidity and helps prevents fires with the cords and gives you a safe area to point the mister to. You can use vinly shower curtain or table cloth Be careful not to hit the basking bulb with mist as it may break. I now buy splash proof basking bulbs as they last much longer! First thing in the morning she will go to her basking area that you set up below the heat light. Once she has warmed up she will be ready to hunt. Also crickets that escape from the run will head up to the light too. As she gains strength, she will be all over that cage. Since you have a female you should start reading up on egg laying and lay bins. She is too young now but you want be ready in a few months to set one up. Smaller cages are a pain cause you only have so much floor space so keep that in mind with plants. I agree with Beman about giving her time to adjust. You are doing great. Bravo👏

Back
Top Bottom