New chameleon

jpm995

Established Member
Hello, i've had chameleons in the past but just got a new one. It's a Senegal from Backwater Reptiles had for 2 days. Reason i got a Senegal is i wanted a smaller sized chameleon. He's free ranging in a greenhouse but i also have anoles and a flying gecko and was afraid a Veiled or Panther would eat them. Wanted a Carpet but their hard to find or a Jackson but the greenhouse get too hot. If he's healthy is it necessary to do fecal checks? Posting pics would appreciate comments on if he looks ok. Not sure if he's eating a i can't find him during the
1719703106609.jpeg
day. Have plenty of crickets and silkworms crawling around just haven't seen him eat.
1719703228855.jpeg

Thanks guys i was thinking i should have put him in a cage for a few weeks but i was so excited when he arrived i just sprayed him with water and turned him loose. I almost didn't get him the first one they sent me was doa and i was afraid it would happen again.

Hi and congrats. I would definitely get a fecal and keep a close eye on him until you know he’s ok. Backwater doesn’t have the best of reputations. I love that he’s got such a beautiful and large area to live, but I am curious about how he’s getting uvb. Does your greenhouse have a screen roof? Uvb does not pass thru glass or most solid substances.

Hi and congrats. I would definitely get a fecal and keep a close eye on him until you know he’s ok. Backwater doesn’t have the best of reputations. I love that he’s got such a beautiful and large area to live, but I am curious about how he’s getting uvb. Does your greenhouse have a screen roof? Uvb does not pass thru glass or most solid substances.
I can say some times Backwaters does not keep the animal in stock. They will seek perhaps their distributors or perhaps other business to get the animal for you.

For the summer i plan on taking him outside for uvb breaks. Not sure where i can put a light in GH as i can't even find him in the daytime. So far he stayes in one area when he sleeps. This could be a problem. Would love to hear from someone that keeps chams in a greenhouse.

One thing [well many really] i don't understand is how does the uvb get past the glass in the uvb bulb?
No idea on that, but you really do need to provide a linear T5 6% or 5.0 uvb light with a branch or other area to sit and bask about 8-9” below the light. Your little one will hopefully find it and realize that special light makes him feel good. I would put a feeding station, like a full throttle type, with some active bugs like crickets, at the same location to help attract him there. Without uvb and supplements, he will develop painful mbd and pass away eventually.

Back
Top Bottom