New member/ New Cham!

PygoShlee

Hey all.

I joined up just yesterday as got my new chameleon. It's a Ambilobe Red Bar, calling it 'it' for now as I don't know the sex :cool: So if someone could identify from these pics that would be great.

I'm sorry the pictures are small and really crap quality, it's my phone camera as I cant seem to find my digi cam. :mad:

Also if theres any pointers on the set-up would be appreciated. I know a glass viv isn't the best for them, this is temporary for now.

The cham is approx 2-2.5 months old. Got it yesterday, he's already slept, poo'ed, eaten and drank so good signs already. Very active little guy too.

Again, apologies for the shoddy photos!

Attachments

• Cham.jpg
    Cham.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 179
  • Cham1.jpg
    Cham1.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 170
  • Cham2.jpg
    Cham2.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 159
Make sure your temps do not get too hot for that baby in glass-no higher than 80-82 in the warmest spot. If you fill out the following we can help you make sure your husbandry is spot on:

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? 1 day!
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Only handled him for 5 minutes before I bought it, and when I got it back.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I'm feeding him locusts, today he's eaten 6 and a flie that got in his cage. I'll be feeding him everyday 6 locusts at about 3pm. They are gutloaded with watercress, carrots, spinach and cucumber.
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I've got Nutrobal at the moment, and some beta-carotene (forget the brand) powder coming. I havent dusted as of yet.
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I use an automatic spray bottle, for 5 minutes (or until he drinks) in the morning (9am) and again when I get home at around 3pm.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? His first poo looked fine, brown with the urates just off white. I dont think its been tested.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Not sure, bought him from a shop (checked alot of places and this seemed a good knowledgable store. All tanks where clean and looked after. The managed said the guy was 2-2.5 months old.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Glass, ExoTerra roughly 20" x 10" x 10", top is full mesh.
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? UV light is ReptiSun 26W 10.0 UVB. Basking is 60w daylight.
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Basking spot is 80F. Lowest night temp around 50F. Measured by electronic Thermometer/ Hygrometer.
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 50-80%, created by misting. Measured by electro hygrometer.
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Live Umbrella plant (washed before used) some fake leaves and grapevine wood (store bought)
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? On a fishtank stand, about 4ft up. Top of the cage being 5ft.
Location - Where are you geographically located? United Kingdom.

A couple of things right off the bat-don't use spinach to gutload-it has chemical properties that keep it the animal from properly absorbing calcium. Secondly and more importantly-if that is a coiled or compact UVB shut it off now and take it back. 10.0 is too strong for the size of cage and those bulbs have been deemed dangerous and cause burns and eye issues. See if you can get a linear tube reptisun 5.0.

Ok thanks.

Are the tube bulbs the purple ones about 4"? I have one of those aswell, from my lest veiled set-up.

You are starting well. Most UK members use the same type of terrarium that you have. You can PM Miss Lily for more info, she is a excellent cham keeper also in the UK. Good luck and enjoy your baby.

Welcome to the forum :D
nice little cham you have there :) everything else has already been pointed out :p

Nice one, cheers guys.

So, whats the way of telling the sex? I know its to do with the 'buldge' which my little one seems to have, but not too sure still.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some proper pictures? I've had a search and only get gender queries.

Thanks alot everyone!

Take a few pics-up close like you did-with the tail extended out -from what I see in the darker pics you took I guess male, but get us some better lighter pics and we will take a stab at it!

Hi and welcome to the forum!!

You have already gotten great advice! Enjoy watching your baby grow and post pictures ;)

coiled bulb

everyone is saying that the coiled bulbs are bad actually the reptisun 5.0 has been fixed and doesn't hurt the cham that's what i use and have never had a problem with.

:eek:

Woah.

I'll start reading :cool:

I know the care of Veiled Chams, had an Adult about a year and a half ago. But Panthers are new to me :eek:

everyone is saying that the coiled bulbs are bad actually the reptisun 5.0 has been fixed and doesn't hurt the cham that's what i use and have never had a problem with.

Some of the newer ones are suppoedly safe, but you need to make sure you have a newer one. 10.0 is still too strong for the cage size.

Went and got me a 5.0 UVB bulb today.

Little guy has had 6-7 locusts today, all gutloaded.

Still cant find my digi cam :(

the only thing i noticed is that your getting betacarotine? ive read that beta carotine cannot be turned into vit a by a chams body. id suggest reptivite for occasional use because it contains preformed vit a.

Ah, I thought BetaCarotene was better having than Vit A.

Cheers.

It is a greatly debated topic. I personally never use pre-formed Vitamin A. I do provide lots of betacarotene via the gutload, and I use a lot of different types of bugs. Most people on this forum prefer to give a little pre-formed A at least once in a while, just in case. And I think so long as you are careful about the amount (too much is toxic) this is a good route to take for new keepers. One of the links I gave you has links to lots of previous discussion on this topic. Scroll about half way down:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/65-supplements.html

Back
Top Bottom