New to the forum first DYI enclosure

So what ya think, Just finishing up my new enclosure for My Panther, Got My plants together ( Pothos and a couple of Schefflera's along with vines) my lighting will be repti sun 5.0 18"tube and a 75watt basking bulb along with a mistking running on a RO system, Enclosure is going to have drainage as the floor is tapered to the center just need to complete.

Attachments

• 100_2269 (Small).JPG
    100_2269 (Small).JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 281
  • 100_2274 (Small).JPG
    100_2274 (Small).JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 240
  • 100_2271 (Small).JPG
    100_2271 (Small).JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 237
  • 100_2278 (Small).JPG
    100_2278 (Small).JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 229
  • 100_2279 (Small).JPG
    100_2279 (Small).JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 225
couple more pics, just have to let it sit to let dry and air out.

Attachments

• 100_2273 (Small).JPG
    100_2273 (Small).JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 156
  • 100_2276 (Small).JPG
    100_2276 (Small).JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 191
  • 100_2277 (Small).JPG
    100_2277 (Small).JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 201
That's a nice looking cage! What are the dimentions and how old is the Cham that's going in there?

Thank you, The inside is 30X30x54, My Panther Ambilobe is almost six months this will be his adult cage, He is in a smaller screen cage right now, Probably transfer over in a month or two.

Don you really think this works fine as a chameleon cage for a longer period? Wood isn't the perfect material for building chameleon enclosures. It must stand the daily temperature changes and much water. Sometimes even feeder insects abuse it

Holy moly! Thats what I want for Christmas!

Chad I think I would enjoy seeing you in a cage for Christmas!! have you talked to Daric about this fantasy?

I think the Cage is excellent, as long as the wood is sealed well the cage will out last the chameleon. You have done an excellent job.

Don you really think this works fine as a chameleon cage for a longer period? Wood isn't the perfect material for building chameleon enclosures. It must stand the daily temperature changes and much water. Sometimes even feeder insects abuse it

I agree with you that wood and water don't mix, I have gone to the extreme with this build to ensure this will last, First the back and floor are laminate perfectly water proof and the floor is tapered to the center to allow for drainage, The remaining wood in the interior of the cage is coated with west system epoxy completely sealing it from moisture ( this stuff is used on wood boats submerged in water) the exterior of the cage is 4 coats of minwax clear satin poly.

I agree with you that wood and water don't mix, I have gone to the extreme with this build to ensure this will last, First the back and floor are laminate perfectly water proof and the floor is tapered to the center to allow for drainage, The remaining wood in the interior of the cage is coated with west system epoxy completely sealing it from moisture ( this stuff is used on wood boats submerged in water) the exterior of the cage is 4 coats of minwax clear satin poly.

Looks like you did your homework :). Enclosure is awesome.

Dear Santa,
Could you bring me a cage just like Calciumbuf built? Ernie would love it and I really tried to be good this year! ;)

Very impressive. The cage will compliment your chameleon very nicely. Sounds like you have done a good job preparing to protect the wood. Congrats, it is very nice. I would love to build something like this. It looks great and would probably improve with my wife's approval toward the hobby. Did you work off of any plans or did you design it yourself?

Rafael

how exactly is it taperd? where does the water go once pooled to the side? do you have chanels running to a drain? or maybe holes that drain into a resivoir? i would like to know for future plans i have. thanks!

Very impressive. The cage will compliment your chameleon very nicely. Sounds like you have done a good job preparing to protect the wood. Congrats, it is very nice. I would love to build something like this. It looks great and would probably improve with my wife's approval toward the hobby. Did you work off of any plans or did you design it yourself?

Rafael

Thank you, Keeping the wife happy is key ;) so when its going in the living room its gotta look good. This was a vision in my head after gathering all the necessasary info, so you could say its my own design, Jim

how exactly is it taperd? where does the water go once pooled to the side? do you have chanels running to a drain? or maybe holes that drain into a resivoir? i would like to know for future plans i have. thanks!

The floor is 1/2" maple plywood with a 1/2" x 3" wide 10 degree tapered frame applied on top and formica laminated over ( so at first glance you don't really notice but it works well I even did a mock up before final construction) all that is left to do is drill a hole in the floor and a drain tube to allow water to drain into a catch basin (yet to be picked out) on the shelf below.

Back
Top Bottom