Newbie! Please help!

kelseymaire

IMG_1059.jpeg
IMG_0015.jpeg
IMG_0016.jpeg
Hello! I am a new owner of a Veiled Chameleon. I need to know if I am doing some things right. I did some research but I’m getting different answer. Can anyone help please? I only know info about lizards but nothing about chameleons. I feel horrible about not knowing it because I just wanted this little guy to have the best life she could.

• Your Chameleon - Veilded Chameleon, we think female, we do not know her age we got her at petco, we had her for about 3 days.
  • Handling - We holds her about 5 minutes a day.
  • Feeding - Crickets and super worms, we feed her 3-6 crickets a day, 1-3 in the morning and 1-3 spread out through the day, we are using carrots to gut load.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Zoo med repti calcium, with every feeding we give her some.
  • Watering - We have an automatic mister that goes off every 12 hours for 60 seconds we also have a waterfall tree as well, we have not seen her drink.
  • Fecal Description - White and solid? We can’t really tell as of yet, in our care so far she has not been tested for parasites.
  • History - She does hiss at us when we try using tongs while feeding. We are not 100% sure on what to do.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen with plastic covering three out of four sides, 16” 16” 30”
  • Lighting - Zoo med, 10.0 UVB with a zoo med daylight blue 60W UVA, light turns on at 9:30 am and shuts off 9:30 pm.
  • Temperature - Cage floor is about 67 F, basking spot 75-77 F, Lowest 65 F at night, we have a temperature gage that measures both spots.
  • Humidity - We do not have one, we put plastic around the cage to see if that works but we are really unsure what to do with humidity.
  • Plants - Yes, pothos plant with vines
  • Placement - Corner of kitchen, near air vent but closed it, about four feet away from floor.
  • Location - El Paso Texas at the moment but moving to Dallas in 2 weeks.

You don’t need the waterfall tree.

I would add more plants. More branches. Get T5 UVB fixtures and bulb.

100 percent add more plants

Also its not the best to tong feed

Veiled's don't really need high humidity 30-50% in the day, at night And like 70-100 at night

Also I would not give her reti calcium every feeding

100 percent add more plants

Also its not the best to tong feed

Veiled's don't really need high humidity 30-50% in the day, at night And like 70-100 at night

Also I would not give her reti calcium every feeding
How often would you say to give it to her?

Also from what Im seeing that is a female. Make sure you put a lay bin
Couple questions, so with the T5, is that heat also? And how would you set it up with the cage I have? And sorry she/he does not like us so I’ll try to get better photos

Couple questions, so with the T5, is that heat also? And how would you set it up with the cage I have? And sorry she/he does not like us so I’ll try to get better photos
It is not also heat, for heat I would get zilla silver dome 8.5 inches and Exp terra Sun-glo A19 Lamp 60 Watts

Couple questions, so with the T5, is that heat also? And how would you set it up with the cage I have? And sorry she/he does not like us so I’ll try to get better Photos
For the light you would put it sideways. Are you planning on getting a bigger cage because that's small for a full grown veiled cham

I’m not super experienced but wanted to help if i could. An experienced keeper may and will hopefully step in and that’s awesome so welcome!!! You’re in good hands here and we’re glad you landed with us!!! 😊
  • Your Chameleon - Veilded Chameleon, we think female, we do not know her age we got her at petco, we had her for about 3 days. Looks to be a girl but a better pic of the back of the back foot would confirm
  • Handling - We holds her about 5 minutes a day. Best to build trust by keeping your distance at first, just stay in the room let her settle. It’s all new to her
  • Feeding - Crickets and super worms, we feed her 3-6 crickets a day, 1-3 in the morning and 1-3 spread out through the day, we are using carrots to gut load. At her age she should be eating at least a dozen a day, until about 6-8 mos (I think) then wein her to every other day 3-5 bugs. If I am off someone please correct, girls diet is imprortant. She should be fed before afternoon time to give time to bask and digest properly.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Zoo med repti calcium, with every feeding we give her some. Does this have d3? If no, that’s great if yes you’ll want to get the one without d3 use that every feeding. Also, get Repashy plus cal lod and use it 2x per month .
  • Watering - We have an automatic mister that goes off every 12 hours for 60 seconds we also have a waterfall tree as well, we have not seen her drink. Routinely it’s 2-3 minutes misting 20 minutes before lights on and same 20 minutes after lights off. Maybe around midnight a minute or so if hydration boost is necessary.
  • Fecal Description - White and solid? We can’t really tell as of yet, in our care so far she has not been tested for parasites. Parasite test is always good, especially for a pet store baby.
  • History - She does hiss at us when we try using tongs while feeding. We are not 100% sure on what to do. Best to try and cup or feeder run feed. Tongs are dangerous for their tongue and most likely it was free range or cup fed at the store.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen with plastic covering three out of four sides, 16” 16” 30” This will need to be upgraded soon to a 24x24x48. More room is better and you will have to add a laybin soon if that is a little girl 🥰
  • Lighting - Zoo med, 10.0 UVB with a zoo med daylight blue 60W UVA, light turns on at 9:30 am and shuts off 9:30 pm. You will want to buy a t5ho uvb by Arcadia 6% or repti sun 5% (this is crucial) and maybe keep your double dome for a plant light and basking holder or something. 12hrs timing is good. No colored lights white only. Heat bulb should be incandescent household bulb 50 or 75w work good.
  • Temperature - Cage floor is about 67 F, basking spot 75-77 F, Lowest 65 F at night, we have a temperature gage that measures both spots. Basking I may be off a bit. Max 80 for adult girls to keep egg production lower, as a young one I’m not sure, ambient daytime is good in 70’s and 65 at night is great!
  • Humidity - We do not have one, we put plastic around the cage to see if that works but we are really unsure what to do with humidity. This is important as well, 30-40%daytime, 70-100% nighttime. Fogging is recommended if temps are below 70 at night only.
  • Plants - Yes, pothos plant with vines. The more the better, live pothos are great and affordable. They love to hide definitely recommend more coverage and vines.
  • Placement - Corner of kitchen, near air vent but closed it, about four feet away from floor.
  • Location - El Paso Texas at the moment but moving to Dallas in 2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom