Nexus has major vission problems..!!!!!!

CHAMLOVER101

Hi to all

So my Chameleon Nexus is having bad vision problems from old age, so at this point he is struggling to catch his pray ,and therefore hasn’t been eating well and is starting to look really thin..
Does any one have any ideas on how I can help him to eat, and yes I have tried to put a cricket right in front of his face, but he is a really shy boy and has never eaten in front of me...
And truly I have no idea how to help him, as I never had a chameleon with sight problems before, and i am scared that he’s going to die of hunger.

:(

I am not 100% sure but i believe vitamin A helps with vision. Also if you cup feed i would think your cham can only miss so many time before catching the crickets.

Nexus

Dear Chamlover101,

I'm sorry to hear of Nexus' condition. Presuming you've already had your little boy vet checked, I wonder if you might offer him an opaque feeding cup with some well gutted hornworms. They are colorful and cannot hop away from him. They come gutloaded as well.
http://greatlakeshornworm.com

Meanwhile, I'd love to learn more about Nexus' age and your observations regarding his various stages of development. If you're so inclined, you can send a message if you'd like in lieu of posting a thread.

Love to your little Nexus -

Debora

Nexus is a veiled chameleon,,,

I am not to sure about his age, becuese all the chameleons I have, come from other people’s home's.....

But I have had Nexus for about 2 half years, its a sad story actually I got nexus from a family that bought him and a female that I named sindelle (She died unfortunately) for breeding, and when they were unsuccessful they, hardly ever took care of the animals and a friend of mine that works for the SPCA, got a complaint from the neighbours of that family and she removed them from that family and I have been his foster mummy since..

But to get back on the topic, we don’t have Hornworms in SA, any other suggestions

Fill this out to make it easier for us to help.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

Another question: how long has he been in your care, how big was he when you first got him?

Poor old cham, how old is he? Id definately try cupfeeding, maybe pull the hopping legs off crickets, I think he'd get used to it. Always mount/hang the cup in the same spot, make it easy for him.
No tongue problem?

Don't know if this would work with a shy cham, but could you gently tap his lips with the cricket? If his eyesight gets bad enough that he's not seeing/noticing you properly, the feel of the insect bumping against him might stimulate him to eat.
Best of luck with the guy!

Try to determine the source of "vision problem". It could be a vision problem, vitamin deficiency, maybe old age or a few others .
You don't know if it is a tongue issue or a vision problem.
So the best way to get to the source of the problem is through a vet visit.

When he's opening his mouth to drink maybe you could put an insect between his teeth? If you bring your hand up from below he might not notice.

Don't know if this would work with a shy cham, but could you gently tap his lips with the cricket? If his eyesight gets bad enough that he's not seeing/noticing you properly, the feel of the insect bumping against him might stimulate him to eat.
Best of luck with the guy!

We have a near Blind Panther here with me and we get in to eat by dripping water on his lips. after he gets abit to drink I just put food item in abit to get him to bite on it. He realizes its food (and since he was hungry also he grabs it almost always). If not hungry but just thirsty he wont take it. But when he takes it clear your fingers, as the second grasp is usually fast to get it in his mouth.
He & we have been doing this for about a year, and he looks really healthy! This Is such a great Cham its worth the extra work!

Back
Top Bottom