Nort is Home! Is His Set-Up Good Enough?

Libri

Your Chameleon -
The species:  veiled,
sex:  male
age of your chameleon: 1.5 years
How long has it been in your care? 11 days
Handling -
How often do you handle your chameleon? his first day home, I offered him a hand to get him from his old enclosure to his new one. He puffed and hissed at me when I got close so I backed off.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? silk worms, superworms, hornworms, black soldier fly larvae
What amount? 3-5 bugs (depending on the size)
What is the schedule? every 2-3
How are you gut-loading your feeders? supplying fresh fruit and veg about 24hr before feeding. (Apples, oranges, carrots, sweet potato - only things that I found approved on the forums)
Supplements -
What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with exoterra calcium (no vitD), exoterra multi vitamin
what is the schedule? calcium (no vitD) every feeding, multivitamin (with d3) on the 15th and 30th of every month
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? I have a mister and a fogger
How often and how long to you mist? we found humidity getting really low, so we mist 4 times a day for 15 seconds
Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Not yet
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. first day - 70%white 30%yellow urate, seemed average in consistency
Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?  not yet

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
he was incorrectly set up at a pet store and his back got severely sunburnt. He's "healed" now, but will see a vet shortly.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? He's in a 2ft by 2ft by 4ft screen enclosure that we've converted to a hybrid (with a shower curtain)

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using?
Zoo Med FS524 Reptisun 5.0 T5-Ho Uvb Fluorescent Lamp-24 W-22, an led plant grow light (13w max, adjustable brightness), 50w white light basking bulb
What is your daily lighting schedule?
at 7am, the led comes on very low brightness, it gradually gets brighter until 12, then dims again until 8pm when it goes out. The uv bulb is on from 8am - 8pm. The basking bulb is on from 8:30am-11am.
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
bottom of cage during the day reads average of 22°c, basking spot (at where his back sits) sits about 28-30°c
Measured with heat gun

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? daytime - 55-67% - water evaporates off of leaves. Nighttime - 80-90%
How are you creating and maintaining these levels? fogger all night on medium-high, mister for 15 seconds 4 times a day
What do you use to measure humidity?
digital hygrometer
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
i use live plants. We have 3 varieties of pothos (neon, golden, marble queen), a hoya, an umbrella tree (small), a money tree (medium sized), pink princess philodendron (as said was safe on the chameleon academy's website), a tradescantia.
Placement - Where is your cage located? the cage is in my bedroom, it isn't very high-traffic. We go in there to sleep and feed him mostly. It is in the basement due to extreme temperatures (30°c+) upstairs
Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? there is a fan outside the shower curtain on ocelate to keep the room cool

At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? 6 feet
Location - Where are you geographically located? Northern Saskatchewan, Canada

This little guy has been through so much, I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can for him to keep him happy and comfortable.

His name is Nort, he came home with us in his previous setup (which was so small it fit in my sedan), and was put into his new home the next day. Any tips you can give are greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 20240730_085507.jpg
    20240730_085507.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240720_165828.jpg
    20240720_165828.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 10
Hi! Everything looks great except your daytime humidity is much too high, it should be around 35-45% for a male veiled. Also if you’re fogging make sure your nighttime temps are below 20C.

Hi! Everything looks great except your daytime humidity is much too high, it should be around 35-45% for a male veiled. Also if you’re fogging make sure your nighttime temps are below 20C.
Thank you! I will change the settings on his mister to go down to twice a day and see if that helps!
Our house drops to around 19c at night, and his cage is in the coldest part of the house. Maintaining the lower night temps and daytime humidity shouldn't be an issue for about 9 months out of the year due to our climate being far colder and less humid in the colder months.

Back
Top Bottom