Not eating?

Jennifersta1980

I just got a baby veiled chameleon Tuesday. She has a pretty big home. When she first went in it I saw her eat a cricket. (It was so cool). By the next day the other 2 were gone. Yesterday I gave her 3 crickets. I added more stuff last night to her house. I added a live plants and a lil hide house for her. This morning when I woke up she was trying to poo. At least I think. She had already pooped some, and her tail was out and she was shaking and looked like she was pushing. Her poop wasn't hard looking or anything. I went to petco today and got some more crickets and mealworms and waxworks. I also got a small portable carrier. I was going to feed her in there so she can find them easily to eat, since she hasn't today. But she has been in there about 15-20 min and so far hasn't eaten anything. There r 3 crickets in with her, as well as mealworms and waxworks so she has a choice. Can someone tell me if I am doing anything wrong, or should just not worry. Here is a pic of her home and a pic of her eating house I got.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 195
I don't think I'd use a feeding cage. Chameleons get stressed pretty easily, and moving her back and forth might be too much for her, especially since she's in a new environment, too.
If you're worried about her being able to find her food, you could try putting some of her feeders in a cup or dish for her.

Yes, do not use a feeding cage. It is bad for chams. I adopted a cham that used a feeding cage most of his life and it caused him undue stress and a lot of problems. I would try cup feeding if you are worried about her access to food. She should be eating 8-10 crix a day at that age.

Ok thank you. She is back in her cage now. I cannot see if she has eaten bc it's so much greenery in there I know crickets can hide. Should I put more in there with her or just the 3? I know there is one left. And I put a feeder cup with worms in it in there with her

I would remove that rock/cave looking decor at the bottom. Chameleons are arboreal, so they spend most of their time in trees, high above ground. It will also keep the crickets from hiding. Your best bet is to put in crickets and monitor how many she is eating. Crickets will tend to climb to the top of the cage near the light where it is warm, so she should spot them there. Also, don't forget to remove any uneaten crickets before her bedtime to avoid potential harm to your cham.

Still hasn't eaten yet

I even tried to hold a cricket in front of her but she backed away. Last night I put some small potatoe slices I there for the crickets to eat and left them, hoping she would eat. But as of this morning there are still 4 crickets in there. Her water is steady, temp is 71-72. Her 2 lights stay on all day day long then off at night. She seems healthy and happy except for the not eating. Although now she backs away when I open the door. Could she have just gotten too stressed and won't eat bc of that?

It took a few days for my 1st cham to start eating. Give her a few more days to settle in and adapt to her new environment. As long as she is drinking, she'll be fine. You also just got her, so hand feeding is probably not a good idea yet and will only increase her stress levels.

I just got a baby veiled chameleon Tuesday. She has a pretty big home. When she first went in it I saw her eat a cricket. (It was so cool). By the next day the other 2 were gone. Yesterday I gave her 3 crickets. I added more stuff last night to her house. I added a live plants and a lil hide house for her. This morning when I woke up she was trying to poo. At least I think. She had already pooped some, and her tail was out and she was shaking and looked like she was pushing. Her poop wasn't hard looking or anything. I went to petco today and got some more crickets and mealworms and waxworks. I also got a small portable carrier. I was going to feed her in there so she can find them easily to eat, since she hasn't today. But she has been in there about 15-20 min and so far hasn't eaten anything. There r 3 crickets in with her, as well as mealworms and waxworks so she has a choice. Can someone tell me if I am doing anything wrong, or should just not worry. Here is a pic of her home and a pic of her eating house I got.

My guy didn't eat well for almost two weeks but now he eats like a champ had him over two months now . you could try what I did which was hang a sheet from ceiling with tacs to give him complete privacy

Back
Top Bottom