Odd question about cricket gut load

Alyx

I had someone tell me that fish food is an acceptable gut load and that everyone they talk to suggests to use it. Does anyone have any experience with this and if it's true or not

I've never heard of that or seen it on here. Doesn't mean it hasn't been on here or isn't a viable option, I just haven't seen it. I would be cautious, though, depending on it for your cham's nutrition. For how easy it is to order "cricket crack" on here that is proven, I would just go with that. I ordered it from Nick Barta and I've had the same bag full for quite some time so it does last and is worth the few bucks to know you're getting a good gut load that is made with chameleons in mind.
Just my two cents :)
Make it a great day,

Two things you might consider before using fish food as a gut load: 1) what's the animal protein content? and 2) what is the overall nutritional value? For gutloads, it is generally recommended to minimize or avoid animal proteins as they have been associated with gout and organ damage. Chameleons seem particularly sensitive to too much protein. Generally, fish food is probably either too low in vital nutrients or imbalanced for use as a base gutload. I would look into those two things on a product before committing to it.

Not that odd actually I was told the same thing when I first got my cham. I haven't been told not to use it however, its meant for fish. I use repashy bug burger now and various greens and other veggies. I think it would just be better to use something that is specifically designed for a chameleons needs.

Some flake foods have high spirulina content which could be beneficial. I still would use fresh raw vegetables if I was looking to gutload and maybe some dino-fuel and/or Repashy's if you wanted to add them. (That's what I use, anyway.)

I wasn't going to use fish flakes, I use the Repashy Super Load, but someone on a forum on Facebook was doing it and I really didn't think it was a good idea. There are so many options that are better and cheaper than fish food so idk

I don't think a spirulina fish food would hurt, but don't think it would be as nutritional as fresh veggies. I would think it would be cost prohibitive as a quality product cost a lot these days. I have also read studies that animal protein was not a god idea for crickets or chams.

My 2cents
Ben

Back
Top Bottom