omg, they stink!

faithxw

Anyone else have a problem with their crickets stinking?! I can't put them anywhere else besides my room, because they chirp, and get on my familys nerves.. I can't put them in the garage because of ants. But my gosh, they stink!! Not to mention, I feel like I live outside every night because of their chirping. Haha help on crickets stench?

I've found that crickets do stink a bit less when their tank is kept very clean.
My family loathes everything about the crickets, so the crickets live in a tank in the basement.

I keep them cleaned out once a day. I almost always have some that die. Which i can't seem to understand. But they stay fed and cleaned out. They just stink, haha ugh

haha that sucks that you guys have to listen to them chirp! i dont hear them at night:) thankgod for being deaf:)

But, for the smell... i dont think they smell... at all actually.. :p I do keep this air freshener near their enclosures for the crickets..

But... i dont understand why i get so many dead so fast.. i have food for them... and hiding spots(egg crates).. why would they be dying? they like are almost frozened up...

can they die if there are too many crickets in an enclosure at once?

Mine keep eating each other. I'm over it! Just bought some dubias. Hopefully my babies like them. I will only be doing crickets once in a while if all goes well. And if I tell myself they are "dubias" and not "roaches" it makes me feel slightly less grossed out...

haha that sucks that you guys have to listen to them chirp! i dont hear them at night:) thankgod for being deaf:)

But, for the smell... i dont think they smell... at all actually.. :p I do keep this air freshener near their enclosures for the crickets..

But... i dont understand why i get so many dead so fast.. i have food for them... and hiding spots(egg crates).. why would they be dying? they like are almost frozened up...

i rather hear churping all night then be deaf >.>

If you are worried about ants then put like a big cooking tray underneath the cricket bin and fill it with water... creates a barrier that ants can't cross.

what do you feed them?
and how old are they? they dont live long
they do need some space and good ventilation

They tend to die in quantity if you leave dead ones in the container.
There is also a cricket virus that affects younger crickets and kills them.
Crickets also don't like too low a temperature and excessive humidity.
Caedboard rolls from paper towels and toilet paper also work as hiding places.

what do you feed them?
and how old are they? they dont live long
they do need some space and good ventilation

dog food, greens..

umm.. they are 1/2inch... and i got them last week...

i had a 1000 seprated into 2, 10 gallon tanks... with a bunch of egg crates.. with a screen top.. so plenty of ventilation...

They tend to die in quantity if you leave dead ones in the container.
There is also a cricket virus that affects younger crickets and kills them.
Crickets also don't like too low a temperature and excessive humidity.
Caedboard rolls from paper towels and toilet paper also work as hiding places.

really? they die faster with other dead ones in? okay.. thanks for letting me know.. im getting tongs tomorrow anyways.. so itll be easier for me to pick out the dead ones..

and my house temps are around 77-79.. so its not too cold or warm.. its not humid either..

and yes i know that the rolls are good too.

dog food, greens..

i had a 1000 seprated into 2, 10 gallon tanks... with a bunch of egg crates.. with a screen top.. so plenty of ventilation...

Greens are good but I would get something better than dog food. Remember what ever your feeders eat, your cham is eating. So I would feed it more variety. Greens, fruits, grains. Look up in the forum different gutloading recipes. Repashy also makes an amazing gut load. Cricket crack is another good one.

dog food, greens..

Mine love cricket crack, grapes and greens the best ; ) but I'm still over their cannibalism...

Mine keep eating each other. I'm over it! Just bought some dubias. Hopefully my babies like them. I will only be doing crickets once in a while if all goes well. And if I tell myself they are "dubias" and not "roaches" it makes me feel slightly less grossed out...

That's exactly how I feel! My babies tried dubias for the first time today and they all ate them! It still grosses me out that I'm voluntarily bringing in roaches into my house. I keep telling myself that they look like beetles. But it's seriously better than smelling AND hearing crickets in the house.

Back
Top Bottom