Preparing for Brevicaudatus arrival

I would provide something with a canopy like a ficus or scheff. They need places of shade. Other than that it looks like a pretty sweet setup.

Yeah definently more foliage, ficus or schefflera would be perfect. A mini palm along with Pothos would be great too. I really like the branches in there though. As for moss. Try fog moss or java moss. I hope you aren't using coco fiber for substrate, are you?

I think he needs alot more foliage, a screen cage, and not any substrate.
Disregard this comment.
KWALA: not to sound harsh but pygmies are one of the few exceptions to chameleon and actually require a glass tank and substrate as they are bottom dwellers but they do however like a LOT of foliage.

Yeah agree, more plants & lots more tiny branches/twigs on the bottom of the enclosure. Pygmies spend quite a bit of time on, or very close to the ground, especially when hunting.

Its mostly peat slabs covering the ground, then with some black peat for the mountain and rest of the area covered with cocofiber, whats your problem with cocofiber?

and im not exactly new to reptiles in general, some advice given could have just confused someone badly if they were new.

The enclosure has space for one large plant that im looking for right now (species) Kinda dislike the dull plant species, as doing something a little more special with plant species is always fun, the plant on the front is Ficus punctata which should create a awesome web over the wooden sticks creating a large shade to the bottom.

The tiny branches are still missing like the original post indicated, and im aware of it :)

Thanks for all the advice so far

Hi Frinta.
Personally i have no problem with coco fibre, i use it myself, for both pygmy chameleons & dart frogs. I just mix it with equal parts of regular soil/leafmould from the local forest, fine orchid bark & tree fern fibre (exo-terra).

Small plants i have found that work well & have some really lovely bright colours are the fittonia species. Do really well in vivariums & don't grow too big, too quickly.

Best of luck & keep us updated (pic's ;))

Those plants really do look fitting and nice on a quick glimpse, yeah i dont know what could possibly be wrong with cocofiber considering i breed my springtails and other "soil bugs" in it :p Its just matter of providing food with the cocofiber to the living soil.

Il post pictures once the setups complete, think i have a pretty good image in my head right now.

Even its slight off topic id like to comment on that, having around 10 planted terrariums and all of the plants in these are planted in cocofiber (peat slabs and then used cocofiber to "cover the roots") and with good success. Species of plants vary strongly from semi-arid to tropical to rainforest. So i must disagree strongly with your argument.

ps. none of the plants are pothos

I know they aren't Pothos I was using as an example, I skipped over that you used peat slabs. Straight cod fiber doesn't offer nutrients though, are also using a drainage system?

Looks good Frinta, couple of live plants & it will finish it off nicely. Have a look at Fittonia species (if you haven't already) look great & do really well in vivaria.

http://pove.arkku.net/upload/uploads/terrachammu.jpg

Pretty much the final draft, will add something really small infront, i tried to get Fittonia but getting it proved out difficult (only a place in Holland sold em and a place in Germany, but i had no other business to those places so wasnt worth paying 20-30 euros in shipping for few plants)

I always order from pesticide free places only, so this cut out Ficus benjamina is gonna do it for now, if it survives from the heavy cutting i did to it

Also added javamoss to the hills.

Opinions? At this point i wont do any major changes either way. I think its a pretty good one. Gonna build a little larger one in a month or 2 and this will serve as juvenile cage later on.

Back
Top Bottom