Raise chameleon is dangerous for pregnant woman and little baby?

If you are housing them together just put enough feeders in for both of them.
Please don't listen to me.

Priceless. I don't think my son would like crickets unless I gave him chocolate covered ones. Mmm crunchy. Has anyone ever tried a chocolate covered bug before?

Parents/chameleon owners know from experience first-hand and that's why we give our opinions. Do you have a child?

I think common sense applies here. At the end of the day, a parent makes decisions that may or may not have consequences. I don't think anyone here said there is no risk - otherwise, no one would have said WASH YOUR HANDS. Just use caution, the same way you would about washing your hands after using chemicals when cleaning and lock the enclosure and/or house the cham in a room with a baby gate at the entrance. If that doesn't bode well with the person who is concerned about having a cham with a baby, then perhaps you shouldn't have one in your house.

One thing about having a baby in the house is it increases hand washing....add that to having a chameleon and maybe we should be suggesting some good hand moisturizers... (Bag Balm wouldn't be amiss...you'll be fighting chapping).

I'd liken the "precautions" to what you'd do after having made meat loaf or hamburger. Not just a regular wash, you need to clean under your fingernails. If I've been deep in the cage, I scrub up to the elbows because it's not uncommon for me to brush an arm up against a vine or branch. If I was dealing with someone who's immune system was compromised in any way (and, it's a good idea to just assume that of pregnant women....their immune systems are busily ignoring a growing foreign body) I'd follow up with hand sanitizer (get the thumb).... Washing tends to be more thorough, hand sanitizers tend to do a better job of killing germs...the two together is about as good as it gets.

And, that's really the point. Chameleons (or reptiles in general) do not emit toxic fumes which present a danger to anyone in the room. Properly housed, they do not contaminate the main environment. They contaminate a very specific area and we know what needs to be done to protect ourselves and our loved ones from their contamination.

I don't think anyone has suggested there's not an issue that needs to be addressed. It's just that the issue can be addressed without giving up your chameleons.

I'll do it for $1

My boyfriend's little sister fried one up with some butter and ate it. He said he didn't know about it until it was already in her mouth. :( :eek: She said it was like cruncky chicken or something.

Parents/chameleon owners know from experience first-hand and that's why we give our opinions. Do you have a child?
Yes - an 11 month old son and 9 year old daughter. I am giving my opinion as both a parent and as an epidemiologist.

We are aware of the risks and are careful. One room put a side that contains a cham, fish tank, fire place (with brick mantle), paper shredder, sharp corner coffee table, etc. Basicly a "no,no" room where bad things could happen if un supervised.

Ultimately it is educating the parents then their choice based on risk tolerance.

Back
Top Bottom